Ray Stevenson Community
February 21, 2018, 10:07:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dwelling Place (TV movie)  (Read 24298 times)
Hadria

« on: November 12, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »

So I was in Barnes & Noble today, checking to see if by any chance they had "Band of Gold" (they didn't), but I found something interesting anyway. I saw a boxed DVD set of movies based on Catherine Cookson books, called "The Catherine Cookson Collection, Set 2," and it included "The Dwelling Place," one of Ray's early roles. Up until now this hasn't been available on DVD (at least in the U.S.), so I thought "ooh!" But... there are three other movies in the set, and it's on the expensive side, $49.95. So I passed it up for now, but I thought I'd provide the information for all you hardcore RayVers.  ;D

BTW, the set also includes "The Man Who Cried," which features Ciarán Hinds. Sadly, according to the women on Ciarán's Yahoo group, it's pretty dreadful. I'm not even sure if they thought Ciarán's presence was enough to redeem it's dreadfulness.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:47:41 PM by Hadria » Logged

Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 02:23:17 PM »

Thanks Hadria! Yeah that's a bit much to pay when there's only one movie of interest. But if the set is available in stores, it should be available for rental.  :think:

"Yaaaay, yaaaay... yaaa-... (Vorenus glares) ...-aaay, yaaaay!!"
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 08:11:25 PM »

OK so this evening I watched the first 2 parts of "The Dwelling Place", and strangely I think Ray's acting in this is MUCH MUCH better than in "The Return of the Native" and he is just GORGEOUS  (no ashy make-up job) and it is well worth watching.  Very sad but not really corny.  Actually think I watched the first few minutes of this on PBS "Masterpiece Theater" years ago, but quit 'cause the introduction said it would be tragic or something like that.

Here again his acting with children is very natural, and the expressive looks that he gets on his face are spot on.  His talent shows in this performance and he is in quite a few of the scenes.

p.s.  my ancestry on both family sides goes back to early US colonial period.  Stories like help me understand  why my ancestors fled England.

Back to part 3... can't wait.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:49:37 PM by wingit4me » Logged

:wingit:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:54:44 PM »

OK finished part 3... Ray is still gorgeous.. although his character's motives are questionable.  The way the story ends totally makes no sense.  Worth seeing, way better than "The Return of the Native".

Rented it from NETFLIX, and it obviously had been packaged to cash in on Ray's appeal 'cause the splash page of the DVD has his picture on it (and it's a good one) and "Rome" is listed om his credits.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:35:24 PM by wingit4me » Logged

AemiliaCamilla

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »

Just wanted to add that The Tide of Life and The Dwelling Place are both released on DVD in the UK on 9th July. I can thoroughly recommend both for some more Ray-watching.

But yet the sky is still above us and the earth is still below. Strange.

:ac:
Nomad
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:59:40 PM »

OK so this evening I watched the first 2 parts of "The Dwelling Place", and strangely I think Ray's acting in this is MUCH MUCH better than in "The Return of the Native" and he is just GORGEOUS  (no ashy make-up job) and it is well worth watching.  Very sad but not really corny.  Actually think I watched the first few minutes of this on PBS "Masterpiece Theater" years ago, but quit 'cause the introduction said it would be tragic or something like that.

Here again his acting with children is very natural, and the expressive looks that he gets on his face are spot on.  His talent shows in this performance and he is in quite a few of the scenes.

I'm glad to hear you review this well, wingit.  I've had "The Dwelling Place" for quite some time, yet not watched it fearing another "Return of the Native."  Ray did well in that, I thought, but the rest of it wasn't to my taste.

It's too late tonight, coz I just screened "The Gladiator" twice...*is embarrassed* but it's on my schedule for tomorrow night.

Thanks!
Nomad
AemiliaCamilla

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:31:26 AM »

The Dwelling Place DVD landed in my mailbox yesterday. Tried to sneak a peek and put it in my laptop right away...good thing Ray had the first line in the movie, since Mr AC came in shortly afterwards and pointedly asked if I was watching a movie...now??? (two small kids trying to tear down the house upstairs, dinner to be cooked and washing to be sorted)

Maybe I´ll just take the DVD to work and watch it there...

Aggripanilla

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:39:15 AM »

I really enjoyed the Dwelling Place and the Man Who Cried, but then I enjoy almost every movie with either Ray or Ciaran Hinds.

Vote for Rome!
http://richlabonte.net/tvvote/
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice
AemiliaCamilla

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 02:15:27 AM »

Can´t find any description of The Dwelling Place on this site, so here goes:

BUT BE WARNED: IF YOU DON´T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS....DON´T READ

County Durham, 1832

Our heroine is Cissie Brodie, poor but plucky and just 16. Her parents have just died in a cholera epidemic, leaving Cissie to look after her three younger brothers and two younger sisters.

Ray plays Mr Matthew Turnbull (a carpenter/coffin maker/timber yard owner…it´s never very clear exactly what he does) who first turns up to make coffins for the dead parents. Cissie has no money to pay but offers him a clock instead. Later he helps the orphans get cheaper better flour at the mill by going out of his way to give them a lift. Here we also meet the miller´s not very pretty but kind daughter Rose, who obviously has her sights set on Matthew.

The Brodies are turned out of their cottage and are homeless but refuse to go to the workhouse. Instead they go to live in a cave on the fells. Matthew sees them, tries to get them to leave but when Cissie refuses he goes to get their furniture with his cart.
Cissie gets her two eldest brothers Jimmy and William (13 and 11) work in the nearest coal mine. Her sister Mary gets work as a servant.
Matthew comes to visit the cave while the children are slaving to carry up stones to build a wall to make the cave habitable for winter. He says it´s impossible but helps them anyway. Then tells Cissie she´s a wonderful lass.
Sister Bella gets work as a laundry girl at some grand house. At a different grand house (the Hall) Lord Fischel lives (James Fox) with his two grown children; obnoxious daughter Isabelle and artistic but good-for-nothing son Clive. His wife has apparently run off.

Matthew takes timber to Cissie for the wall and his mother berates him for not getting in more with Rose at the mill. Cissie has no prospects and Rose won´t wait forever…
While he´s at the cave, Cissie´s brothers come limping home…the elder having been kicked by the foreman and is badly hurt. Matthew is moved by the boys suffering and offers to apprentice one of the boys and fix the other one up at the mill, to Cissies delight. The miller agrees to take one of the boys if Turnbull says yes to take over the mill and marry Rose.

Matthew´s father is bedridden and the son feeds him tenderly while telling him he´s taking on an apprentice. The mother is not too happy about it. They have little money themselves. When telling Cissie about finding the boys work he also confesses his heart is hers and then asks to kiss her, which she lets him.

When brother William comes home from his first day of work at the mill Cissie finds out Rose is marrying Matthew, to her dismay. She´s a realist though and acknowledges she is not a very good price, with many siblings and no inheritance.

Youngest brother Joe goes rabbit poaching in the Hall grounds and are caught by the lord´s children. The daughter is nasty to Joe but Cissie comes to the rescue, ending up in a fight with Isabelle and enchanting Clive.

The next day Cissie and Joe goes to buy some milk they can ill afford from a farm. Going home they encounter Clive and Isabelle, who are both drunk. Isabelle intentionally spills the milk and encourages Clive to rape Cissie. Joe runs and finds lord Fischel who sees the whole thing. The next day Clive is sent to sea. A disgusted lord confines his daughter to the house.

Matthew finds out from Jimmy the Cissie was “mated” by force and is going to have a bairn. He is gobsmacked and goes to the cave. He vows to make Clive pay but Cissie tells him it´s none of his business, he´ll only get into trouble. Instead Matthew offers to get the roof up on the dwelling.

Matthew builds the roof, and puts in doors and windows. Now the dwelling is finished.
His mother complains and implies the baby is his and that word is going round. And that Rose has heard too. Matthew tells his father it isn´t true which the father believes and he also realises the son´s fancy lies with Cissie and not Rose. Matthew confronts Rose and tells her the child is not his. Rose invites him in.

Cissie has a birthday. Jimmy has made her a cradle. Matthew comes to visit and brings candy, tea and sugar from Rose. He asks if Cissie knows where to get a midwife and then advises her of one. Later that night Matthew returns with a birthday present from himself…a new purple shawl. Cissie cries and Matthew says he loves her but is forced to marry Rose, or he would not be able to support his own family or help Cissie´s. He asks if Cissie loves him but she seems undecided. They kiss briefly and then hold each other (to last them a lifetime Matthew says).

Lord Fischel and Isabelle drives by an obviously pregnant Cissie with the coach. His lordship asks his butler to visit Cissie and find out when the child is expected.  The butler goes but does not reveal who he is. He tells the lord she was very civil and clean although her habitation is built onto a cave.

Matthew and Rose marry. The butler goes to visit Cissie who goes into labour while the marriage celebrations continue. Matthew looks none too happy on his big day. He spots Joe who´s sent to fetch the midwife. He goes to ask him what´s up and then offers to tell the midwife to go. Joe and the midwife go off and Matthew casts a long eye after them.
The baby is born and all is well. Later the butler tells the lord it is unlikely the father is anyone but his lordship´s son and the lord says he wants to see him. Cissie reluctantly agrees. She walks to the Hall with the baby wrapped in Matthew´s birthday present. His lordship offers a pound a week to keep him but Cissie refuses for any kind of money at all.

Times are hard in the dwelling and money short. The butler comes to offer more money and threaten that his lordship would win any lawsuit, but Cissie again declines. Then sister Bella gets caught stealing. And is now likely to be sent to a house of correction.  A despairing Cissie gets comforted by the butler, who mentions his lordship might speak for the girl if he gets his grandson. If Bella is convicted the courts would definitely give his lordship the grandson so Cissie makes the impossible choice to at least save her sister, giving her son away. Returning from the Hall without her son, Cissie bitterly puts her the money in the now empty cradle.

At the mill Matthew hears from his sniping wife Rose that Cissie sold her baby. He is aghast. His wife keeps sniping and it turns out Matthew goes back to his timber yard every evening and has still not consummated the marriage. Rose threatens to let her father know…Matthew tells her he doesn´t care and he only married her because Cissie couldn´t support her brothers and sisters. But now she´s got money she can. So Matthew goes to the cave.
But gets no proper answers from Cissie and is dismissed rather coldly. Then the miller dies and Matthew stands to get a lot of money. In despair he sits counting the gold coins now useless to him.

Three years later: Cissie has saved most of the money from his lordship. Joe is working at the mill. And Matthew´s wife is still sniping, the marriage bitter and unhappy. Clive returns home from sea to find master Richard…his son. Both lord Fischel and Isabelle are devoted to the boy, much to Clive´s consternation.

Matthew rides to the cave to see Cissie and pleads with her to let her see him sometimes to get him through his days. He´s frantic and desperate. She lets him touch her hand and sniff her hair. Cissie tells him he made his own choice…

Clive is angry about finding his son in the house and won´t install him as his heir. His lordship pleads with him to make things legal since he has no written contract with the boy´s mother.  Isabelle joins in the pleading but Clive only laughs. Later he agrees to get things settled. He rides over to the dwelling. Cissie, unaware that he sees her, sneaks into the Hall grounds to spy on her son.
Clive catches her and they watch Richard playing for a moment. Clive apologizes for the rape and Cissie explains how his lordship got the child…Cissie didn´t sell him but was pushed to hand him over. Later Clive goes to the dwelling to talk about Richard. And offers him back to Cissie if she gets a better place to live. Clive will give her money but wishes to be allowed to visit Richard. Matthew turns up, all angry and indignant at the stranger´s presence. Clive leaves. When Matthew finds out who the man is he´s all for fighting. Cissie tells him she can have Richard back but Matthew is sceptic as to why Clive would do this. He wants to be the one to get Cissie a better place to live. Cissie says he can´t give her back her son and besides he has a wife to take care of. Matthew is dismayed at this.

Clive brings Richard to visit Cissie, who can´t believe her eyes. They spend the day together and Clive says he has arranged a house for her. Cissie still can´t believe it will come true. Isabelle sees them as they part. In the evening there is a great quarrel at the Hall; Isabelle and lord Fischel try to persuade Clive not to hand Richard over but gets nowhere.
In the morning Isabelle takes Richard in a carriage and drives off. Clive runs after. He catches them and gets Isabelle to get out and drives on with Richard to the dwelling.

Matthew sets off to do business while the rich go hunting. Clive and others are out birding, guns firing all over the place. Isabelle is also out riding and Clive sees her going towards the dwelling. He starts running. Isabelle arrives with a gun and tells Cissie she´s come for her child. She threatens Cissie with her gun and Clive shoots at her. She falls off her horse and dies. Matthew arrives. Clive thinks he´s killed Isabelle but Matthew sees she was killed falling onto rock. The men take Isabelle away and leave her by the stream as if she has had a riding accident. Clive thanks Matthew for his help but he tells him he only did it for Cissie´s sake. Matthew threateningly tells Clive to give her the child but otherwise leave her alone…

The butler brings Cissie a letter from Clive telling her the house is ready and they will not meet again. Cissie seems upset at this.  Richard wants his grandpapa and tells Cissie he doesn´t like her. Cissie cries.

At the mill Matthew again hears the news from his sniping wife…Cissie is moving into her new house. Finally he has had enough. He tells Rose to keep her money, he´s fed up and is leaving. Rose tells him he´s a fool running after something he can´t have and which never existed in the first place. If he had really wanted to marry Cissie he would have done so years ago. Matthew sees the truth in this and stays.

Cissie brings Richard back to his grandfather who invites her in.  Richard is overjoyed to be back. For her son´s happiness she gives him up. Clive is surprised to see Cissie. She gives back the deeds to the new house. Finally Cissie has forgiven him. She not sorry she had the bairn…Clive kisses her hand and says goodbye. She goes back to the dwelling.
Clive rides up to the dwelling one last time and asks her if she loves Matthew…she says yes, she did but he married the mill and she never loved him as much as she thinks she could love someone…Clive asks…Do you think you could…? Cissie smiles….They kiss….

Matthew returns the clock Cissie gave him as payment for her parents´ coffins.

She moves into her new house.

The End.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:19:08 AM by AemiliaCamilla » Logged

fuzzybunny

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 04:28:05 AM »

Thank you for such a detailed description, AC. :clap:  You're right, the site needed that.

:bunny: Fuzzy's icon
redshift

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:04:54 AM »

Sounds like Ray's in it a fair bit and from very early on. I'll be looking forward to watching it on Sunday evening then. Thanks A.C. :cheers:

:redshift:
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 12:32:59 PM »

Thank you , A.C., for such a detailed description.  :worshippy:  I could almost envision the scenes.  Now I just hope that somehow it gets on a U.S. channel, perhaps PBS.  :squirm:

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »

HI Britmys  :wave:   It was already on PBS several years ago.  I rented it from NETFLIX.

britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »

HI Britmys  :wave:   It was already on PBS several years ago.  I rented it from NETFLIX.

Man, I just hate this!  I am going to be FORCED to buy a DVD player, aren't I?  My Ray fixes aren't being satisfied, and I WANT to see him in those roles  :o)

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
fuzzybunny

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »

Man, I just hate this!  I am going to be FORCED to buy a DVD player, aren't I?  My Ray fixes aren't being satisfied, and I WANT to see him in those roles  :o)

If your computer has a dvd player and a big enough monitor, you could still postpone your entry into the 21st century, Brit. :neen:

:bunny: Fuzzy's icon
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: