Ray Stevenson Community
April 19, 2018, 02:55:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome - Season II Episodes  (Read 25391 times)
Bella

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 11:18:44 AM »

I am not sure if I read it somewhere on this website or Imb ( :think:), but for those of you who need a peek at Rome II you need to go to www.thependragon.co.uk
Select Rome, and then Season II. It seems that they show the entirty of each episode of Season II. The quality is not the best, but then again I was looking for specific shots. The one where Eirene is on her death bed (and Pullo runs out naked  :devil:), and where Pullo kills Gaia. (Unfortunately, the video stalls for me at about 38 minutes so I never see the part where Pullo kills Gaia. Not sure if it is the website or my computer.) None-the-less I am opting for the DVD, so I can curl up on the couch and watch. I don't have HBO.
JaxiB

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 05:25:51 AM »

Watched episode 1 last nite on tv! Loved it - was a bedding in ep I felt, re-discovering the characters, well acted by all as usual, I enjoyed the political shenanagins, and Mark Antony besting Brutus. Pullo wasn't in it nearly enough, that's my only gripe, but of course that will change! It was rather sweet to see him looking after Vorenus for a change too, illustrated how much he cares for him. Awwwwwwww.  :clap:
Arya

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »

Various reviews of "Rome" from British' press  8)

From "The Guardian"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv_and_radio/story/0,,2107646,00.html

From "The Times"

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article1961749.ece

From "Daily Telegraph"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/06/21/nosplit/bvtv21last.xml

And  another one from "The Guardian"

Rome
9pm, BBC2
Ding, dong, the git is dead. With Caesar's cranium pebble-dashed across the Senate's bas-relief, it's left to Mark Antony to demonstrate some sort of resolve. James Purefoy is tremendous as the priapic alpha-sod, his bloodied, bulging modus operandi providing this belting epic with its barrel chest and pulsating libido. There are also two funerals, a decapitation, and a horrible bit where a vestal floozy shoves her granary cobs into Caesar's dead mouth.

And another one from "Daily Telegraph"

Rome
BBC 2, 9.00 pm

The second and final series of this epic, full-blooded drama picks up where the first left off. Caesar (Ciaran Hinds) lies dead in the senate, and Mark Antony (James Purefoy) narrowly escapes being murdered on the steps outside. Although he wants to “eat their livers”, he believes he must leave the city to escape from Brutus (Tobias Menzies) and the other assassins. But Octavian (Max Pirkis) – who stands to benefit the most from Caesar’s death – overrules his pernicious mother Atia (Polly Walker) and persuades Mark Antony to stand firm. Meanwhile, the always-furious Vorenus (Kevin McKidd) is given good reason to behead foul-mouthed Erastes (Lorcan Cranitch). Rome remains a curious mix of ancient history and anachronism, but it is also visually impressive and earnestly performed by an excellent cast. TG

Unfortunately cant find anything from "The Independent".

britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 08:25:09 PM »

Thanks for the news items, Arya.  I found "The Times" one particularly egregious, though, since it said that the star was undoubtably James Purefoy.  ;D  I mean, I love the way James looked in or out of a toga, but our Ray or even Kevin McKidd were the real stars of this epic.  Duh! :cool2:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »

Thank you Arya! Love the ones that are understated.

"Afterwards, the conspirators, Brutus, his mother Servilia and Cassius, looked as if they had all stepped into a lift without checking first that lifts had been invented."   :hysterical:

"... is it meant to be funny or not? "   :think:

:wingit:
Arya

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 10:24:56 PM »

I found "The Times" one particularly egregious, though, since it said that the star was undoubtably James Purefoy.    I mean, I love the way James looked in or out of a toga, but our Ray or even Kevin McKidd were the real stars of this epic.  Duh!

Heehee. Ray and Kevin' rocks and they will be forever the soul of the series for me but well...most of the season 2 was indeed a "Purefoy' show" as he got the most juicy, meaty scenes and the most brilliant and classic lines. During the season 1 these were Ray and Kevin who were true stars for most of the critics but in season 2 they were not so prominent, more in the background and their storylines were not as thrilling as they were in season 1  :dget: So it does not surprise me that critics think Purefoy overshadowed them this time around though I still love them the best.
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 01:46:45 AM »

Thank you for the articles, Arya! :clap: :rock:

Purefoy got the funniest lines in Season 2. Of course, I was dazzled by Ray, as before. But I enjoyed Season 1 more. I really missed Caesar, for one thing. I felt Season 2 was rushed, and packed a lot more brutality in, which is not my "thing". I didn't care so much about the business of the gangs, either.

As I said.....I enjoyed it in large part because of Ray, who did a fantastic job of acting, and because I still loved the fully dimensional character of Titus Pullo.

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Arya

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 04:49:41 AM »

I know what you mean Cam. While I adore James Purefoy and enjoy his performance as Antony immensely when I was watching season 2 ( particulary the first half) I caught myself thinking more than once- "Huh? What about other characters? What about you know- giving them some equally juicy scenes and lines for a change? Where are Pullo' hilarious one-liners like these in season 1?"  ;) It still amazes me that both Ray and Kevin managed to pull such touching performances in episode 1 since all the lines they got were basically "I cursed my own children" and "Dont worry brother"  ::)
It changed a bit in the last three episodes where I felt the best scenes belonged to both of them ( what about Pullo' brilliant turn as the master of Aventine and breathtaking scene with dying Gaia or Vorenus scenes with Antony and Cleo) but it was so late and I was growing a tad annoyed by the "one man' show".
End of rant  ;D
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 09:24:38 PM »

It changed a bit in the last three episodes where I felt the best scenes belonged to both of them ( what about Pullo' brilliant turn as the master of Aventine and breathtaking scene with dying Gaia or Vorenus scenes with Antony and Cleo) but it was so late and I was growing a tad annoyed by the "one man' show".
End of rant  ;D

I agree that Purefoy had the meatier role for Season 2; but I still think that Ray's acting skills, particularly in the death scene of Gaia as we all collectively held our breaths, outshone Purefoy's.  But then I know I'm biased  ;D

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
AemiliaCamilla

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 01:23:42 AM »

Just watched a clip of Gaia´s death scene on YouTube and have to agree Ray´s performance is awesome  :worshippy:

just wish there was a whole lot of more Pullo in season 2...could there ever have been enough???

But yet the sky is still above us and the earth is still below. Strange.

:ac:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »

I know what you mean Cam. While I adore James Purefoy and enjoy his performance as Antony immensely when I was watching season 2 ( particulary the first half) I caught myself thinking more than once- "Huh? What about other characters? What about you know- giving them some equally juicy scenes and lines for a change? Where are Pullo' hilarious one-liners like these in season 1?"  ;) It still amazes me that both Ray and Kevin managed to pull such touching performances in episode 1 since all the lines they got were basically "I cursed my own children" and "Dont worry brother"  ::)
End of rant  ;D

Ray and Kevin did so much with what screentime and lines they got. Biased, me?  ;D NO! They were undeniably wonderful. Especially Ray! (OK..I am biased and besotted when it comes to Ray.)

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Arya

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2007, 03:28:51 AM »

Biased or not you are completly absolutly undisputably right  ;D

Part of me thinks that it might have been done by the writers on purpose. In season 1- according to most of critics not just crazy fangirls as us  :devilish:- the amazing duo akka Pullo&Vorenus stole the entire show. So maybe the writers/directors decided to shove them aside this time by giving them less interesting storylines and less memorable, captivating moments so the other actors got an opportunity to shine? Because when they actually got some really juicy scenes in the last three episodes the reviews saying that they are "the best part of the show" started floating around immediately.
Well I just know that a lot of people complained about them being in the background, not interacting with patricians or not having "adventures" anymore.

Ps. I LOVE Bella' avatar. To die for.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 03:39:58 AM by Arya » Logged
arieldan1

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2007, 06:15:51 AM »

Ps. I LOVE Bella' avatar. To die for.

Me too!!!  It's quite gorgeous!!!

:ariel:
AemiliaCamilla

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2007, 06:47:53 AM »

Agree on Bella´s avatar (think I´ve already metioned this on some other thread...).Gorgeous, pet!

Just wanted to add about the pendragon-site mentioned above. It is no longer possible to watch season II episodes on that site...they have been removed.

But yet the sky is still above us and the earth is still below. Strange.

:ac:
Tryne

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2007, 04:00:34 AM »

Just wanted to add about the pendragon-site mentioned above. It is no longer possible to watch season II episodes on that site...they have been removed.

Yeah.. I just noticed today  :calimero: :calimero: :calimero:

:tryne:

Look here Mars - look here Mars. I'm Titus Pullo. These bloody men - my gift to you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: