Ray Stevenson Community
April 19, 2018, 02:57:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Me, Anyway  (Read 4406 times)
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« on: June 13, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »

This is an article I found while Googling.  It is from 2005, but it's new to me, and maybe others  ;D

www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050902/QUESTIONS02/Entertainment/Idx - 43k

Oh, darn.  I just went back to complete reading the article and see it costs $4.95 to purchase to read further  :-\

Well, I'm editing this to suggest you do as I did, just read fast, and if need be, just go the link again  ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:24:54 PM by britmys » Logged

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
fuzzybunny

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »

Thanks, Britmys.  I think I read that one a while back, before you had to pay for it.  If I remember correctly, you're not missing much by saving your $4.95.  It contains pretty much the same information as a lot of other articles that were written about Ray and Rome around that time. :squirm:

:bunny: Fuzzy's icon
fuzzybunny

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:36:22 PM »

Brit, I remembered where I had read it and was able to copy it.  It was a Q&A.  http://community.livejournal.com/raystevenson/

A new cable brute is born. The arrival of Ray Stevenson in the role of Titus Pullo on Rome officially rounds off the HBO triumvirate of very bad boys. The network has already seen good fortune and ratings with series framed around a brutal mob boss (Tony Soprano on The Sopranos) and a belligerent barkeep (Deadwood's Al Swearengen). Now comes the grim-faced Roman warrior Titus -- and he is bad to the bone.

Like the other players in the all-British cast, Stevenson was an unknown quantity to North American viewers prior to Rome. Even before the sprawling series debuted last week, the brawny actor was already garnering rave reviews for his seething portrayal of Titus, a complicated character described in the original series' setup as "possessing the courage and loyalty of a warrior, and the morality of a pirate."

But like Tony Soprano, Titus is also a very charming guy. Rome focuses on the legionnaire Titus and the centurion Lucius Vorenus (Kevin McKidd), two weary soldiers returning from the battles in Gaul to a Rome torn apart by political upheaval and social unrest. Titus and Lucius at first form an uneasy friendship, which quickly turns into an unbreakable bond based on mutual respect.

On that level, Rome is not unlike a buddy movie. And though the pair seemingly have little in common, the shrewd Titus is a man who knows the value of a good friend. And if that friend is capable of wielding a battle-axe, all the better.

How do you explain the unlikely bond between Titus and Lucius?

They're flip sides of the same coin. Their friendship is based on their need to survive. The fabric of their lives and the structure of Roman society is being completely mixed around, and neither Titus nor Lucius really understands why. Their agenda is much simpler -- they're soldiers. They don't have much in common, but they've bonded into an interdependent relationship to get through those difficult times.

From the first few shows, it's difficult to get a fix on Titus. Sometimes he's quite a noble figure and sometimes a drunken womanizer. Which is it?

He's both, really. Titus is certainly the most intriguing character I've ever played; there are just so many layers to the man. He's an old-school warrior who leads by example. He's not young any more, but you don't survive to his age without noticing the world around you. The series is set in tumultuous times, and many of the Roman citizens see things in shades of grey, but Titus is black-and-white. He's a true soldier. He doesn't think, he reacts.

The battle scenes in Rome are staggering: charging horses, thousands of extras running about clanging swords and so on. How chaotic was it?

We had a tremendous Italian stunt team who spent days and weeks working the battles out in detail while we were shooting other scenes. It wasn't a barroom brawl. It was organized chaos. Every shot was worked out in precise detail well in advance, and then we would be placed in the thick of it. The fight scenes were intended to be bloody and messy and chaotic, which I think we accomplished.

The dialogue of Rome is mesmerizing, possibly because characters speak in a blend of languages from then and from now. Did that make acting more or less difficult?

As long as you remained aware of the mix, it was never really a problem. The writers went to great effort to keep the language authentic to the era, but to also keep it contemporary for viewers today. Of course you couldn't go too far in either direction or else the characters would sound rather strange. It was a dodgy territory for the actors.

If you will, please describe the joys of wearing a Roman soldier's war-gear.

Well, the designers and costumers did a meticulous job, but most of it was a bloody nightmare. We wore real chain mail that would eat into your skin whenever you moved. The helmets were made of solid brass, which meant that after a few hours in the hot sun your head would go into a slow boil. The sandals were bloody awful. They were authentic to the era, right down to the latticework, but very uncomfortable. It was terrible, but after a week most of us were used to it.

Compared to your U.K. film and TV work, what seems different about the HBO process?

It's not like making a film, or like anything I've ever done before. This is the first thing I've done with HBO and I must say it's impressive. No expense was spared, as long as it went toward what went on the screen. The scope of the series, and the unbelievable detailing of the period, are remarkable. You feel the HBO difference as you're going through the process. The gratifying part comes when you finally see the finished product. You spend months and months breathing life into this huge beast, and all of a sudden, the beast is standing right in front of you. It's incredible.

HBO has also launched the career of several mid-range actors into the stratosphere. Are you anticipating a rush on movie offers post-Rome?

Not really. I'm not looking that far ahead, because I'm committed to another season of Rome, and I'm really looking forward to that. But if it helps open doors, that's fine. And no doubt being on an HBO show does help one's profile. I've been here [in Los Angeles] a month now to promote the show and it feels a bit strange seeing yourself on these huge billboards all over Hollywood. I don't know if anyone ever gets used to that.

:bunny: Fuzzy's icon
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 08:05:35 PM »

Thanks, Fuzzy!   :wave:  I had managed to read it fast before I was kicked off when I went to the link a second time, but I never get tired of reading about Ray  :ray:

Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 04:56:59 AM »

Thank you, Fuzzy! I DID read that one before, as it turns out. Love reading about him again, as well. :crush:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Tryne

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:58:50 AM »

Hmmm... he isn't 'bad to the bone' our Titus Pullo! But he is a bad guy... but not THAT bad...  :snog:

Look here Mars - look here Mars. I'm Titus Pullo. These bloody men - my gift to you.
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:04:59 PM »

In that interview, Ray said, "Titus is certainly the most intriguing character I've ever played; there are just so many layers to the man. " 

Don't we just pray that he gets more such roles in the future so he can shine as much as he did in Rome?  :rockon2:

Nomad
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 05:09:06 PM »

I found this article from 2004 while I was looking for something else.  It's very interesting!  I hadn't known of the costly delays that occurred early on in the production of Rome. 

Someone asked on another thread when filming first began on Season I.  I think if you read the article carefully, you may be able to count back and figure that out.  I'm too sleepy to do it myself.   :sleep:  I wish I could do what that icon is doing!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/21/features/cwhat.php

Enjoy!   :cheers:

Nomad  :lips: s Ray
RiActs

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 11:18:13 AM »

Thanks for posting the article Nomad. If anyone thinks producing a tv show is a breeze they should read that article.

I have had a bad case of insomnia for the last month. If I am lucky I get 5 hours sleep.
I love the new icons we have now.

Raggio il causa di globale tiepido!
(Ray is the cause of global warming!)
Toduo

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 03:30:09 PM »

I found this article from 2004 while I was looking for something else.  It's very interesting!  I hadn't known of the costly delays that occurred early on in the production of Rome. 

Someone asked on another thread when filming first began on Season I.  I think if you read the article carefully, you may be able to count back and figure that out.  I'm too sleepy to do it myself.   :sleep:  I wish I could do what that icon is doing!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/21/features/cwhat.php

Enjoy!   :cheers:

Nomad  :lips: s Ray
It was I who enquired Nomad, and thank you. I did work it out as Spring of 2004. Which now puts a lot of ??? into perspective  :think:

:toduo:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: