Ray Stevenson Community
February 19, 2018, 12:37:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Cap - "Cover Story"  (Read 6066 times)
Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« on: July 08, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »

I've added some clips I've long needed to include in the multimedia section. There are spoilers here, but I don't know if this will ever show in the States (again?). I think, on rare occasion, BBC-America airs the series. I don't know if it's ever re-aired in the UK.

Red Cap is a military-themed series that ran for 2 seasons. The title refers to the distinctive red caps worn by the RMP (Royal Military Police), who handle criminal issues among military personnel. Within the RMP are detectives who make up its Special Investigation Branch (SIB). SIBs are officers, though they usually dress in plain clothes.

The series is mainly about SIB officer Sgt Jo McDonagh who, I gather, hopes to one day join the paratroopers even though they don't take women (yet). In this episode, the SIB investigates the disappearance of Theresa Brock, a reporter who had clearance to tag along with the Derbyshire Light Infantry on a chemical warfare exercise. Her body is discovered when the SIB retraces her last known steps. Despite being equipped same as the soldiers, she suffered severe damage from the caustic gas used during the exercise. Blinded and severely burned, she either fell or was pushed to her death. The detectives also find out that the reporter was not who she claimed to be. Rather than a respected reporter from the Daily Mail, the woman was a lesser known writer by the name of Theresa Malik, who wrote dating tips and the like for a woman's magazine. They determine that Malik hoped to become a serious journalist and needed to write an article of substance to achieve it, so she had assumed the other reporter's identity in order to be taken seriously enough to gain access to the military unit.

The SIB rounds up the officers who had the most contact with her and interrogates each one. Among them is Sgt. Chris Roxborough (Ray), a fiercely loyal second in command to the unit leader, Capt. Finbar Glover. While there are a few likely culprits, the SIB soon discovers that the married Roxborough had a fling with Malik and so they bring him in for questioning for a second time, theorizing that he may have tried to break off the relationship and killed her when she threatened to expose him as an adulterer. (Yes, Ray plays a naughty boy yet again!)

However without sufficient proof, they can't charge him with anything. Meanwhile, McDonagh digs deeper into Malik's life and discovers the woman had gathered an extensive file on the life of Finbar Glover -and that she lived only a few doors away from his father.  Following this lead, McDonagh discovers that Capt. Glover is also using an assumed identity, the real Glover had been a friend of his who had died 15 years prior when they were at school together. (Sadly, I'm already blanking on the character's real name.) The real Fin had committed suicide, despondent over being treated harshly by a teacher. The friend killed the teacher in retaliation and then became like a son to the real Fin's father. To honor Fin, he assumed his name as both boys had planned to one day become soldiers.

This leads the SIB to focus on another of Glover's loyal men, believing he must have found out that Malik knew Glover's secret and had killed her to keep her silent. It turns out the SIB had the right motive, but the wrong suspect. Someone else had to know that Malik planned to expose Glover and its when they receive the final forensics report that all the pieces fall into place.

The amount of gas used during the training would not have caused as much damage as Malik had sustained. Somehow Malik had been exposed to a greater concentration, yet the woman had the same gear as the soldiers. When her mask is examined, they find that it's been tampered with. The charcoal filters had been removed which caused her to draw in tainted air and made it a personal gas chamber. When the unit's gear is examined, only one set of gloves has traces of charcoal in the linings: Roxborough's.

"Yaaaay, yaaaay... yaaa-... (Vorenus glares) ...-aaay, yaaaay!!"
Nomad
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »

Oh dear lord! *fanning self*  Thank you, Lotis...AGAIN!

We need a place to deposit ENTIRE episodes of whatever Ray is in so that everyone can access them.  I admit I haven't the LEAST clue what this would be. 

I have something to contribute (two somethings, actually) and would love to see everything shared among Ray's devoted fans.

Nomad  :lips: s Ray
fuzzybunny

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:21:08 PM »

I finally got a chance to take a look at it.  You know, the guy that played Roxborough was really good and is kind of good looking to boot.   :giggly: Thank you, Lotis!  :clap: I really wish BBC would show more of their shows over here or, at least put more out on DVD.  There are so many good shows over there and we don't get to see enough of them.

We need a place to deposit ENTIRE episodes of whatever Ray is in so that everyone can access them.  I admit I haven't the LEAST clue what this would be.

I like that idea.  The clips get me just involved enough in the plot that I want to see the whole show.  Only thing I can see being a problem is the whole illegal downloading issue. :think:  I think they'll tolerate individual clips, but I can see them getting cranky about whole eps.  However, Nomad, if you do happen to find such a magical place, I'd be happy to visit. :popcorn:

:bunny: Fuzzy's icon
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 09:43:47 PM »

Thank you Lotis.  Very interesting

(....again with the chalky make-up!  Ray can act angushed-guilty person without looking gray!  What is it with BBC make-up artists and their graying of Ray!...)

:wingit:
redshift

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 05:57:58 AM »

(....again with the chalky make-up!  Ray can act angushed-guilty person without looking gray!  What is it with BBC make-up artists and their graying of Ray!...)

Wing4me, are you in California or somwhere sunny like that?

I only ask because a couple of times now I've read your references to Ray looking grey/gray, and when I take a look, he looks perfectly normal to me..... :explain:

I mean, that's kind of the same colour I am...... ok, maybe a bit washed out, pallid.... ok, yes, grey..... but that's natural..... it is here, anyway......

I honestly don't see any wrong with his colouring...... ;D :lol:

:redshift:
Tryne

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 08:16:17 AM »

:lol: ...  :sunny: I think there is a difference in skin-colour/color (and spelling as well..  :think:), but I had to laugh when I read this about Ray looking grey or with greish make-up. When I was younger I lived under the assumption that people in England were more pale than the rest of Europeans because it always rained in England!... Yeah I know what you're all thinking, but I wasn't the only one and my elementary school English teacher (who was British) confirmed this and claimed that that is why she left England..   :hmm:... Well... Now I have lived in England and visited the country many, many times and my conclusion is of course that the sun is shining there as much as it does in Denmark. But nevertheless, the last two summers, when I have picked up my boyfriend at the airport, everyone's remark has been: Oh my... you look English-grey  :lol: ... And he does! But sunbeds/tanning-shops are very trendy, cheap and very common (and used way too much) in Denmark and not in England, so perhaps that explains some of the skin colour. And of course, if you live in sunny California you'll be much more in the sun than the average person... Well...that's just me thinking..  :cool2:
 :tryne:

Look here Mars - look here Mars. I'm Titus Pullo. These bloody men - my gift to you.
Toduo

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 08:57:22 AM »

Ladies, ladies, all I can say is that we Brits are not all covered with a milky-white greyish cast! Having seen Ray in person I can only assure you neither is he (as I am sure Arlie will attest!) However, in 'Redcap' on the Multimedia section he does seem to have a grey cast. Unfortunately, sunbeds and tanning salons are becoming increasingly popular here in London and some people go way overboard. Looks a little ridiculous sometimes when you see people you know in the street on a Winter's day in December and they have this orange effect tan, knowing full well they have not been anywhere 'abroad' to get it. Must confess though, having lived in LA for two years (several years ago now!) I did look decidedly healthier.!

:toduo:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 10:02:33 AM »

EEK... sorry I mentioned it.  The only other place I noticed the chalky look was in "Band of Gold" in the scenes after the wife is dead, particularly in the one here in the multimedia section "Band of Gold" 3.  It isn't that noticeable here, but when I watched in on DVD, full sized in my own living room, the face was a little too-gray for that scene and some others , but not the scenes when the wife was living and not the scenes toward the end.

If you add up all my ancestry I am over half British myself, and I never though English people had funny skin coloring.   

:wingit:
redshift

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »

f you add up all my ancestry I am over half British myself, and I never though English people had funny skin coloring.   

It's just me,then...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was only joking in my original post ;D :sorry:

You should be in this country when we get a sunny day, and all the workmen whip off their shirts, then you'll know what the natural skin colour of the natives is.......
it's not grey, it's not even orange, it's a kind of lobster pink........

:redshift:
Tryne

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »

f you add up all my ancestry I am over half British myself, and I never though English people had funny skin coloring.   

It's just me,then...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was only joking in my original post ;D :sorry:

You should be in this country when we get a sunny day, and all the workmen whip off their shirts, then you'll know what the natural skin colour of the natives is.......
it's not grey, it's not even orange, it's a kind of lobster pink........

:lol: Oh my God .... *keeping fingers crossed for better and sunnier weather in the UK*...
Lets go and pray to the Sun God girls  :sunny: :worshippy:
 :tryne:

Look here Mars - look here Mars. I'm Titus Pullo. These bloody men - my gift to you.
AemiliaCamilla

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 05:17:32 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks to Lotis for adding the clips. Wish I could see the whole thing but guess I never will.

I like the way Ray changed his accent, from the first clip when he is totally in control and to the other two when hes more under pressure and the Geordie accent creeps in.

And I so like a man in uniform...

But yet the sky is still above us and the earth is still below. Strange.

:ac:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: