Ray Stevenson Community
April 19, 2018, 02:54:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Painted statues in ROME?  (Read 2557 times)
AemiliaCamilla

« on: August 02, 2007, 03:45:41 AM »

While on a shopping spree in Copenhagen yesterday, I also visited the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, which has a really amazing collection of Roman statues and busts.

So here I came face to face with life-size busts of Pompei Magnus, Augustus and Livia etc , which in itself is a pretty amazing experience, but it made me wonder about the busts and statues shown in ROME.

I know the theory is that they were originally not marble white (or the natural stone colour anyway) but were painted in either life-like or more garish colours. Canīt remember how they were shown on ROME...and Iīve lent my season 1 DVDs to my parents so canīt check.

Does anyone know?

I do remember in The Stolen Eagle Pompei is posing for a bust, but I think the sculptor is making a clay model so thatīs no help.

But yet the sky is still above us and the earth is still below. Strange.

:ac:
fuzzybunny

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:44:06 AM »

I'd have to look to know for sure, but from what I remember, they showed them unpainted.  They really didn't show too many finished statues, though.  They had the bust in progress of Pompey and then they had "the marble district" where Servilia was attacked.  Those were works in progress, too, though.  In the second episode of season 1, when Pullo is in the Subura, about to go gambling, the Indian god he does a fast prayer to is painted.  I think in the Aventine clubhouse there were a few pieces in the background that were painted.  To be honest, I don't think I noticed them in the show, though.  I saw them in the "making of" pieces.

:bunny: Fuzzy's icon
Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »

I don't recall them showing much in the way in the statues of famous people, beyond what's already been said of Pompey's bust still be carved and the sculptures district. There were death masks of ancestors, but they were also unpainted.

However, most of the statuary I recall seeing was that of the gods and they were painted, like Concordia (the statue Vorenus smashed to intimidate the other men). There was also a statue in the bar in season one that Pullo stops at (before getting in the brawl and gets his head smashed open), Jupiter in the temple when Caesar goes to arrange for the augury and a statue of Isis that Servilia was praying to when Atia has her abducted in s2. All of those were painted.

"Yaaaay, yaaaay... yaaa-... (Vorenus glares) ...-aaay, yaaaay!!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: