Ray Stevenson Community
April 19, 2018, 02:55:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What are they doing?  (Read 9612 times)
Tryne

« on: August 31, 2007, 01:07:15 PM »

I just watched the fourth episode of 'Rome' season one last night and Mark Anthony is, at some point, standing naked  :clap: in the yard and a slave is scraping his (fab) body with something that looks like somew kind of knife!
What are they doing? Is he shaving Mark Anthony's body or what? :anyone:
:tryne:

Look here Mars - look here Mars. I'm Titus Pullo. These bloody men - my gift to you.
Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 01:28:42 PM »

I just watched the fourth episode of 'Rome' season one last night and Mark Anthony is, at some point, standing naked  :clap: in the yard and a slave is scraping his (fab) body with something that looks like somew kind of knife!

It's called a strigil, a scraper for removing dirt and sweat off the body. The Romans cleaned by rubbing oil all over and then scraping the grime off with it.

"Yaaaay, yaaaay... yaaa-... (Vorenus glares) ...-aaay, yaaaay!!"
Kay

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:05:54 AM »

Thanks for the information, Lotis and for posting the question, Tryne.
I wonder how comfortable that would be?
It looks rather unpleasant.
Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »

It pays to watch the History Channel.  :D

I think they made themselves sweat even more beforehand, like exercising or in a sauna, then slather with oil, get the pores open and the dirt loose before scraping.  :P

I can't imagine we'd find it very comfortable ... lessee, a long luxurious bubble bath or relaxing jacuzzi, or slather your already grimy body in oil and scrape the muck off? Hmm, decisions, decisions ...  :think:

:lotis:

remus

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 01:10:38 PM »

Depends on who's rubbing in the oil....................................

:yahoo:
Toduo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 03:12:55 PM »

It's called a strigil, a scraper for removing dirt and sweat off the body. The Romans cleaned by rubbing oil all over and then scraping the grime off with it.
They still use this method in parts of Turkey, but in between the scraping to exfoliate they pour hot water on your body to open the pores in your skin and then freezing cold water to finish. Envigorating - though not too pleasing when you have sun burn and are not expecting the extreams in water temperature!! :frown:

:toduo:
Nomad
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »

I used exactly the same sort of tool to scrape the water off my horse's coat after bathing him.  What do you use for that, Tryne?

:nomad:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 07:35:11 PM »

I used exactly the same sort of tool to scrape the water off my horse's coat after bathing him.  What do you use for that, Tryne?

Is that so they won't be ridden hard and put away wet, Nomad?

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Nomad
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 10:03:48 PM »

Is that so they won't be ridden hard and put away wet, Nomad?

Exactly.  I always rode him hard, Cam, coz he begged me to.  But I NEVER put him away wet.  He was always tenderly dried and groomed by loving hands, blanketed and put to bed with deep gratitude. 

Can you tell I loved my horse?  :lips:

TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 10:18:46 PM »

Exactly.  I always rode him hard, Cam, coz he begged me to.  But I NEVER put him away wet.  He was always tenderly dried and groomed by loving hands, blanketed and put to bed with deep gratitude. 

Can you tell I loved my horse?
:shocking:

Nomad, can I be your horse??

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Nomad
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 12:11:58 AM »

::)

Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:33:13 AM »

"jackass" is more like it.

Sorry TP, you left the door open on that one, I had to walk through.  :giggly:

:lotis:

tpsmum

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 11:06:05 AM »

Titus dear, remember to wear your special hat with the three peaks so your tall ears will be comfortable.  I know the noise from the jangly bells gets on your nerves, but is does keep people from staring. 
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:23:50 AM »

Titus dear, remember to wear your special hat with the three peaks so your tall ears will be comfortable.  I know the noise from the jangly bells gets on your nerves, but is does keep people from staring. 

:lol:   I think he would wear the hat just to make sure they were staring.  He's such an  :atthoe:.

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
Nomad
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 10:54:39 PM »

:lol:  I'm beginning to think tpsmum is Lotis in disguise!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: