Ray Stevenson Community
February 23, 2018, 10:55:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tide of Life (mini-series)  (Read 41094 times)
Hadria

« on: June 01, 2006, 07:42:47 AM »

(Again, apologies to the HBO regs for the duplicate post.)

This is a mini-seies adaptation of a Catherine Cookson novel presented in three parts, but if you watch it all in one sitting, it’s like a long movie. It follows the fortunes of a young housekeeper, Emily Kennedy, who is forced to mature quickly as she learns about relationships with men the hard way (pun slightly intended) and faces one tragedy after another. Can’t have one of these stories without a good dose of tragedy! It takes place at the turn of the 20th century, in the "grim oop north" of England, somewhere vaguely near Newcastle.

Our plucky heroine is the housekeeper for Sep McGilby, whose wife has just died at the beginning of the story. Emily remains as the housekeeper, even though there will be “talk” now that they’re in the house alone together. Sep grows more than fond of Emily, and eventually asks her to marry him. Emily accepts. But alas, Hero #1 dies tragically before the wedding can take place, and Emily is forced from his home. But she’s not plucky for nothing, and soon finds work as the housekeeper for farmer Larry Birch (Our Hero, Ray). Larry is a handsome, strapping fellow just oozing testosterone, which hints that there will be A Relationship with Emily. Alas, Larry has a real biyatch of a wife, Rona, who is partially paralyzed and can’t walk. She’s bitter because her condition keeps her trapped in her bedroom, and because Larry won’t shag her anymore. But this is where we find out that Our Hero is actually a Real Bastard--he won’t touch his wife out of affection, but he does slap her around when she provokes him (something she does constantly). After Yet Another Tragedy resulting in the untimely (or very convenient, take your pick) death of Rona, Larry is forced off the farm, and takes himself off to a nearby cottage. Emily goes with him, and the two live together in unholy unwedlock. All is well at first, but lack of money, Larry’s fondness for booze, and his continuing attachment to his first lover (whose name escapes me), ruin the relationship, especially when he goes off to marry the aforementioned lover and abandons Emily. She gets her revenge by building a bonfire out of his furniture. (You go, girl!) But all is well at the end when Emily is rescued by the new owner of Larry’s farm, Nick Stuart (a special “Rome hotties” bonus--James Purefoy), who turns out to be The REAL Hero, and asks Emily to marry him after what seems like a pretty superficial courtship. At least he didn’t ask her to be his housekeeper. Emily, being plucky and no fool accepts and they live happily ever after (I’m guessing about that bit).

Ray gets to show off a range of skills besides his superb acting--he drives a horse-drawn carriage (with a death grip on the reins), he plays the harmonica (faked I’m pretty sure), he sings (out of tune), he dances with the heroine (stiff and formal, but it was supposed to be that way), he builds a stone wall (*grunt*), he chops wood (with an axe that looks really tiny compared to Dagonet’s big axe), and he does a bit of yard work. We’re also treated to several glimpses of Rat-Arsed Ray, and in one scene he’s even rat-arsed and giggling--it was quite amusing. :lol: And... he Shags the Heroine. They don’t show it in detail of course, but it’s still a great scene. I don’t want to give away too much, but I will say that he pins her to the bed roughly at the beginning (OOOOH....  :popcorn:), and when it’s all over, he’s sprawled face down, still half on top of Emily, his back all sweaty, while she lies stiffly underneath him. The whole scene implies that Pullo Beast Sex has occurred, but only one person enjoyed it and that person wasn’t the plucky heroine, oh dear. But ladies, you will want to see this for that scene alone!!!  ;)

Halloweenqueen

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:13:38 AM »

Where did you see it?  BBC America?  Did you rent it?

Kynkari
Newbie.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »

Hmm.

Yet another movie where our HERO has bollocks the size of Spanish oranges because he refuses to make sweet lurve to his lawful wife.

I sense a theme here. 

:faint:

Kynk
Hadria

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 01:06:16 PM »

No, I bought it. I own this sucker.  ;D

I'm not sure if you'd be able to rent it, but if you want to buy it, it's available from Amazon. Not that expensive, if I remember right.

Hadria

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 01:11:50 PM »

Hmm.

Yet another movie where our HERO has bollocks the size of Spanish oranges because he refuses to make sweet lurve to his lawful wife.

I sense a theme here. 

:faint:

Kynk

But the bollocks the size of Spanish oranges would explain the Pullo Beast Sex later, eh?  ;) Both of those movies were adapted from novels by Catherine Cookson, so blame her for the theme.  :lol:

P.S. Have you photoshopped lately???  :hypocrite:

Halloweenqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 03:51:18 AM »

No, I bought it. I own this sucker.  ;D

I'm not sure if you'd be able to rent it, but if you want to buy it, it's available from Amazon. Not that expensive, if I remember right.

Thanks, I'll look into it.  :)

arieldan1

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:34:54 PM »

Thanks for the detailed synopsis Hadria!!  I had read a summary of The Tide of Life and thought Ray played a Good Guy -- oh well!!  I was thinking of checking out the local library for the Catherine Cookson dramas -- sometimes they have movies like that for rent over here (they have the whole I, Claudius series.  Not that I, Claudius is similar to Catherine Cookson or anything.). 

:ariel:
Hadria

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »

Thanks for the detailed synopsis Hadria!!  I had read a summary of The Tide of Life and thought Ray played a Good Guy -- oh well!!  I was thinking of checking out the local library for the Catherine Cookson dramas -- sometimes they have movies like that for rent over here (they have the whole I, Claudius series.  Not that I, Claudius is similar to Catherine Cookson or anything.). 

Hi arieldan,

Actually, Ray's character isn't entirely bad. He looks after his mentally challenged brother-in-law like he's his own son, and he's kind to Emily and treats her fairly while she's his housekeeper. He has enough good qualities that Emily willingly goes with him when he's forced to leave the farm. It isn't until he and Emily have been living together for some time that he becomes a Total Bastard.

You might find this one to rent at the library (thank you for patronizing your local library!  ;D), but the other Cookson drama featuring Ray, "The Dwelling Place," is apparently not available on DVD.

arieldan1

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »

One question -- Hadria -- what is "Rat-Arsed"?  I'm not familiar with that term.  Thanks!

InsolentWretch

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 09:15:53 AM »

One question -- Hadria -- what is "Rat-Arsed"? I'm not familiar with that term. Thanks!

"rat arsed" is Brit-speak for very drunk.
 :2drunks: :pullo: :2drunks: :pullo: :2drunks: :pullo: :2drunks: :pullo:
 :pullo: :2drunks: :pullo: :2drunks: :pullo: :2drunks: :pullo: :2drunks:

Avast ye, Roman Soldier!
arieldan1

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 09:28:50 AM »

Thanks Insy!  In the US South they say "drunk as Cooter Brown"  -- no one knows who Cooter Brown is (if he ever existed), but everyone wants to meet him because it sounds like he has one hell of a good time!

Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »

I don't think The Dwelling Place was ever made available in the US.

"Yaaaay, yaaaay... yaaa-... (Vorenus glares) ...-aaay, yaaaay!!"
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 01:43:07 PM »

Hadria...those pictures of our darling Ray as Larry Birch in the Tide of Life....

words cannot describe....words cannot thank you enough...these emoticons express what words cannot:

:crush: :crush: :crush: :crush: :crush: :crush: :crush: :crush: :crush: :crush:
 :drule: :drule: :drule: :drule: :drule: :drule: :drule: :drule: :drule:
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
 :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
Hadria

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 02:49:43 PM »

Hadria...those pictures of our darling Ray as Larry Birch in the Tide of Life....

words cannot describe....words cannot thank you enough...these emoticons express what words cannot:

Ooooh, gosh... thanks!!  ;D

I tried to get the most drool-worthy pics I could. I also tried to get pics that would show the range of emotions he went through. The man has such an expressive face!

Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 10:51:39 AM »

Thank you Hadria!!!!  :worshippy:

I ordered a DVD of Tide of Life, shortly after the description I read of the bedroom scene.  :party: The screencaps are "tiding" me over until I get in my hot little hands!!!!  :dance:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: