Ray Stevenson Community
February 23, 2018, 10:40:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Reviews  (Read 4972 times)
Arsh

Ticking Time Bomb

« on: December 05, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »

So, if you've seen the film, why not write what you thought about it?

Here's my review (caution, I copied this from the GPA board, so there's some language in there that people may find offensive.  Read at your own... peril?  I dunno, you've been warned):

Just finished watching the movie a couple hours ago.  I caught an early show cause I hate crowds, so it was just me, a couple guys at the back, and a very creepy man in the row ahead of me.  But other than that, I got to enjoy the film without douchebags screaming and phones going off, etc.

Ok, so here is my review:

This movie fucking rocks.  While I can see why a lot of mainstream critics don't seem to like it, I loved it, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Punisher fans will love it as well.  But first things first, this is definitely not a MAX film.  While that's been going around, it's not a MAX film.  It is a Marvel Knights film that has been drenched in MAX style, and guess what, it works.

What you basically have, in terms of story and style, is a Garth Ennis type MK story, where you have Frank Castle, the consistent and serious center of the story living an absurd and twisted version of New York City, much like in the early 2000s Punisher series, where you had villains like Ma Gnucci, and the Russian, and General Kriegkopf.  So, there is quite a bit of very dark humour, which I will admit, I loved in the early Ennis stuff.  His MAX series is missing most of the black humour, but it does show up in this film.

The MAX-type gore and style infuse the MK-style story with a sort of otherworldly aura.  You see that it's in reality, but it's a reality that's been tweaked.  If you are a fan of Ennis' Marvel Knights work, you will definitely love this.  This is basically what an MK story would've looked like if Garth Ennis had wanted to use Jigsaw as a villain.

And speaking of Jigsaw, he is fucking awesome.  Dominic West plays him as a complete lunatic after his face is recycled in a glass compacter.  Yes, he's over-the-top, but that's the point.  He's fucking crazy.  This is what a Garth Ennis-type villain would be like.

His brother LBJ is equally awesome and is probably more of a lunatic than Jigsaw.  Doug Hutchison is awesome here.  He's cannibalistic, violent, a total psycho, yet he and Jigsaw are as close as any two brothers could be.  Very weird.  These two went together so well, every time they showed up on screen, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face even if I wanted to.

Colin Salmon plays Paul Budianski, an FBI agent who is hunting Castle and Jigsaw (sort of).  He's great, and the fight scene between him and Castle is awesome.  Budianski teams up with Martin Soap, played by Dash Mihok.  Soap is awesome.  The character in the original MK series was depressed and pathetic, yet still kind of likable.  Here, Soap is a hopeless optimist, a little pathetic, but again, very likable, and his scenes with Frank Castle rock.

Julie Benz plays Angela, and she is pretty good, though I must admit, the accent distracted me a little, though maybe it's cause I like her regular voice.  Wayne Knight plays Micro, and he is excellent at it.

And finally... Ray Stevenson.  He is Frank Castle.  He is relentless and stern, though in some scenes, you see his humanity and despair and the sadness in his eyes.  After watching Ray in this part, I can't imagine anyone else playing Castle.  Ray's is a phenomenal performance.

Steve Gainer's cinematography is wonderful here.  I know a lot of people complained about the saturated lighting earlier on in the production of the film, but seriously, it works fantastic here.  It gives the night in New York in this film an otherworldly feel, accentuates reality.  I definitely loved the work here.

Michael Wandmacher's musical work as well was quite excellent.  It didn't detract from the film, and definitely embellished a few scenes with feelings of panic, or a rush of adrenaline, or a tense mood.  It is a very good score.

And finally, Lexi Alexander.  I just gotta say... fantastic work.  We finally got a proper Punisher film.  The overall production is fantastic, and Lexi truly was an excellent choice to direct.  Amazing work.

So not only is this film, the best Punisher film to date, it is a great film, period.  With great performances that will leave either with a huge grin on your face or leave you feeling sad for Frank Castle, it is a great production across the board.  A good story, a wicked villain, a compelling protagonist, splattered with a great sense of style and deft touched of dark humour, this is an excellent film, and I would say that every fan of the Punisher should check it out.  While it's not a movie for everyone, and it will leave some fans angry, and some critics weirded out, most fans of Garth Ennis' work on MK and MAX will definitely love it.

10/10

After Y2K, the end of the world had become a cliché. But who was I to talk, a brooding underdog avenger alone against an empire of evil out to right a grave injustice. Everything was subjective. There were only personal apocalypses. Nothing is a cliché when it's happening to you.
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

I thought Ray was great (Surprise!!!) And I DID enjoy it. I was surprised at how much. Had some laughs, too.

I have never read a Punisher story, but because of interviews and articles I'd read (mostly thanks to Nomad... hahaha...but thanks to Lotis & Wingit4me & others, too), I'd braced myself for the violence, and for over-the-top, camp, stylized stuff. In fact, I thought: "I figured it would be more gory than that." :D

Of course, Ray was hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :dance: :rock: :crush:

:bead:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:37:34 PM by Camamar » Logged

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:05:34 PM »

OK Arsh I will try (there are reasons I am not a professional film critic)

Saw this in a matinee in the 'burbs with approximately 20 people in the theater.  The crowd I was expecting to see it in, drunken frat boys (there are several colleges where I live), was represented by at least 3 guys who were sitting in the same row I was; from their reactions I could tell they LOVED it. They laughed at the right points, hooted at the right points, and even emitted an "AWESOME" during the first parkour scene, before breaking out into laughter for.. well I won't give that part away.

The  opening credits are done on a background of comic book pages so anyone who sees this movie and does not "get" its setting and tone ( i. e. most of the professional critics who have reviewed it) must be lacking in appropriate cultural references and an understanding of the genre. (or as Fuzzybunny would say, they are poopyheads)

First laugh... policeman punches self in face
Second laugh... Frank stuffs pencil into his own nose
Last laugh ... Soap delivers closing line while covered in brain matter.

Tone varies from ultra realistic serious scenes (i. e.those where Frank is present), to tongue-in-cheek parodies of the war movie genre (I grew up with a brother... have seen all the black-and-white WW2 action movies over and over and over), the gangsgter movie genre, the street gang movie genre (OK I made that up , but you get my point).

The performances vary to match the changes in tone.. some characters stick to realism, some are pure comic book

Performances (and my opinions of them):
Ray Stevenson - Perfect ( he did one thing I did not think worked.... but there are reason I do not teach acting)
Dominic West - Hilarious
Doug Hutchinson - EWWWWW and Hilarious
Colin Salmon - Perfect
Wayne Knight - Perfect
Dash ????  - Perfect
Julie Benz - I was a Buffy and Angel fan and am rooting for her... but darn it she just didn't look SCARED enough, still giving her a high B+
Parkour guys - excellent, could have used more of that
stunt people - really excellent

The score fits the tone of each scene and does not intrude on your attention.  The parts that are heavy metal... is there such a thing as "heavy metal action"?  fit the action.

Actually I enjoyed this a lot more than expected to...and based on the audience reaction I can guess that there will be a healthy demand for Punisher when it is sold on disc.  And OK I laughed at some of the the stuff that was violent and really gory...... it was just so funny.

:wingit:
iblauralee

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:31:59 AM »

I really enjoyed the movie.  I've seen it 3 times and will probably see it once more before it leaves the theaters. 

Ray is perfect in the role.  You can see how much training has gone in to his performance - he moves like a special forces guy and shoots like one too.  It isn't like Rambo where you never reload.  It looks like how an actual shoot out would be.  If another movie is done, he should come back.  I really liked his interaction with the little girl.  Some people posting thought that how nice he was to the little girl made him too soft.  It just reminded you that before he became a killing machine, he was a family man who loved his wife and children.  The flashback sequence showed the love he had for his kids.  Wish there was more flashback sequences too. 

Microchip was awesome. 

Agent Budianski (spelled right?) was really awesome too. 

Maginty (I think) played by TJ Storm could have been eliminated from the movie.  His accent and presence did not help the storyline.

Villians - were just ok.  In an early scene with Billy/Jigsaw and the old man, I could barely understand what they were saying and I've seen the movie a few times.  LBJ was very good but some scenes, like the mirrors, could have been taken out. 

Julie Benz was just ok too. 

Fight scenes were awesome. 

I wasn't really laughing throughout the movie.  I thought how the Punisher dealt with the parcour guys was awesome and funny.  The scene with Jigsaw and LBJ driving in the car was pretty funny. 

Overall, like anyone, there are some changes I would make but I still don't know why people think this film is terrible.  I think it got a crappy release date.  If it had been out in Sept/Oct with other action and horror movies, I think this movie would have been very popular.  I also think the advertising for the movie stunk too!  I never saw a commercial and only saw advertising on YouTube.  If I wasn't a Ray Stevenson fan, I wouldn't know anything about the movie. 

Oh well - I wish Ray the best of luck and hope the movie does better at the box office this weekend.  I think he did an amazing job!
redshift

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »

I finally got to see the dvd the other day. I will admit I wasn't expecting much, but I was surprised to find myself enjoying the film and even being entertained by it.

Ray looked the part and really seemed comfortable with all the action and weaponry; although he didn't have much dialogue - he didn't speak until 20 mins in - and some of the dialogue he did have was a bit ropey. Never mind, you don't watch this kind of film for the dialogue, do you?  :D

The scences between Frank Castle/Ray and the Colin Salmon character ( I've forgotten the name already  :confused:) were great, I wish there was more screentime  for those two together.

Dominic West camped it up wonderfully. Julie Benz  ...  :shrug:

The violence, made me wince more than once. I'm sure teenage boys think it's all very funny and camp, but I'm a wuss and covered my face with my hands repeatedly. :shocking: :sick:

The photography was the best part of the film, it looked fab on the big t.v screen!

Extras; Ray kickboxing, Ray learning to shoot, Dominic West vowing never to wear prosthetics again, directors commentary, and a few other bits and bobs, good value for money, I think.

:redshift:
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »

I noticed that PWZ is on Sky Box Office tonight - twice!

*Stops to gulp at Ray being a twice-a-nighter*

I hope that all those wot failed to see him at the cinema might decide to watch him on their TV at home instead - and be blown away [as in the amazed, delighted and thrilled sense] at The Punisher with his enemies being blown away [as in the blood, guts and gore and he-must-be-dead-as-he-ain't-got-a-head-anymore sense].

This was a great film! The more exposure Ray has the better. In fact methinks he ought to be totally exposed  :drule:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »

I noticed that PWZ is on Sky Box Office tonight - twice!

*Stops to gulp at Ray being a twice-a-nighter*

I hope that all those wot failed to see him at the cinema might decide to watch him on their TV at home instead - and be blown away [as in the amazed, delighted and thrilled sense] at The Punisher with his enemies being blown away [as in the blood, guts and gore and he-must-be-dead-as-he-ain't-got-a-head-anymore sense].

This was a great film! The more exposure Ray has the better. In fact methinks he ought to be totally exposed  :drule:

:funny: Labia!  :clap:

*hopes lots of people are joining us in RayVing after being exposed to him in Punisher: War Zone*

D'OH! edited to fix my smiley...

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:06:43 PM by Camamar » Logged

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
AemiliaCamilla

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »

Finally able to see the Punisher today (on DVD). And I thought it was.....bloody brilliant! Not just Ray, but the photography, the lighting, the other actors...except for Julie Benz. (or rather her character). The last line the Angela Donatello character had just made me wince...that bit should definitely have been cut.

Otherwise; terrific stuff. I admit I was surprised I liked it so much. Although I knew Ray would be good, I did not expect the overall impression to be so powerful. I can see though, how people who know nothing about Frank Castle and the comics could be put off and "not get it". Their loss though.

I will definitely watch it again...soon!

But yet the sky is still above us and the earth is still below. Strange.

:ac:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »

Googling today and amid all the THor news sumbled upon this gem from (of al un expected places) Vern at Aintitcoolnews:

Ray Stevenson is incredible in PUNISHER WAR ZONE
by Vern   Nov 18th, 2009
03:27:12 AM
The movie is completely ridiculous in both good and bad ways, but Stevenson rises above everything. He would be perfect just because of the way he looks, towering over everybody else, but somehow he brings so much soul to the movie. There is no reason to feel for this maniac, he's going around murdering people and none of the characters have any depth to them at all, but the sadness in his eyes and the poetry in his voice makes me believe in him. I'm not kidding, that is just a great performance. I'd watch that guy in anything now, even a movie where he's flying around with a blond haired guy with a hammer fighting spiderman or whatever.

:wingit:
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »

Googling today and amid all the THor news sumbled upon this gem from (of al un expected places) Vern at Aintitcoolnews:

by Vern   Nov 18th, 2009
The movie is completely ridiculous in both good and bad ways, but Stevenson rises above everything. He would be perfect just because of the way he looks, towering over everybody else, but somehow he brings so much soul to the movie. There is no reason to feel for this maniac, he's going around murdering people and none of the characters have any depth to them at all, but the sadness in his eyes and the poetry in his voice makes me believe in him. I'm not kidding, that is just a great performance. I'd watch that guy in anything now, even a movie where he's flying around with a blond haired guy with a hammer fighting spiderman or whatever.

Amen!   This guy really GETS Ray and what a fine actor he is, bringing depth to whatever role he is given.

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »

by Vern   Nov 18th, 2009

I have no idea why a compliment for Ray from "Vern" at 'aintitcoolnews' should be so unexpected :shrug: ---- but I am glad he has an appreciation for what makes Ray so special, now. :crush:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: