Ray Stevenson Community
February 23, 2018, 10:42:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Box office stats  (Read 24491 times)
Nomad
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 12:07:16 AM »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.   :)

Even if the box office doesn't improve, I hope Ray is aware that he did the character justice and the fans proud.
Well, if he's not aware of it, the critics are.  Even those who panned the film agreed that Ray was perfect.  And modest, too, he is!

:nomad:
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »

Welcome, frank.  Or should I say... wait for it *snigger* ..... 

Welcome Back, Frank?

AHAHAAHAHA HEEEEEEE OHOHOHOHO I slay me.

Nice to see new faces.

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 12:57:55 AM »

Hello, Frank! :lips:  So seldom we get gentlemen posting here.  Welcome, welcome, welcome.  :clap:
Well that is the last time I hold YOUR handbag! *flounces off*

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Nomad
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 03:25:15 AM »

Hello, Frank! :lips:  So seldom we get gentlemen posting here.  Welcome, welcome, welcome.  :clap:
Well that is the last time I hold YOUR handbag! *flounces off*

That was my HANDBAG you had hold of?   :neen:  :cool2:  You Brits call it a handbag.  I call it my purse.  Some people call it a pocket book.  That may be a mid-western term and maybe somewhat archaic.  *shrugs*  You say toe-may'-to, I say toe-mah'-to!   Oh, it's the other way round, isn't it?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:51:58 AM by Nomad » Logged
frank
Newbie.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »

P:WZ dropped a steep 75% on Friday to end up at #14.

Damn.

I was hoping word of mouth would be good enough to keep its decline to a minimum.  I'm still surprised that comic fans haven't given this more support.  But overall, it was another weekend where a couple of holdovers did better than the new releases. 

-The Day The Earth Stood Still will be number one, but didn't open as well as expected.
-Nothing But The Holidays looks to end up at around 6th or 7th place.
-Delgo (an animated film) was a complete bomb and came in somewhere around 17th place.  If nothing else, P:WZ is no longer the wide release with the worst opening weekend this month.
iblauralee

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 09:46:30 PM »

I so wish this movie was doing better.   :huh:  I saw it for the 3rd time yesterday.  The first two times, last weekend, there were only 20-30 people.  Yesterday - only 13.  It was also in a smaller theater in the back.  :frown:  I really enjoy it and thought Ray was great!!  :ray: :crush: :lips:  Too bad more advertising wasn't done.  I have never seen a commercial for it on tv.   :frown:
frank
Newbie.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »

I believe Nomad mentioned that the dvd is already finished.  Hopefully, that means we'll get some nice extras (Ray/Lexi commentary?) rather than a bare-bones disc.

If it proves to be a popular title, I think we at least have a chance of getting a direct-to-dvd sequel.  Technically, such a film could be made just as cheaply and with the same cast and crew.  The question is, would Ray be interested in such a project- or would he consider it a step backward for his career?  I hope he would still be on board, given how popular he has proven to be in the role.

(Of course, I also hope the dvd does well enough for a theatrical sequel to still be a viable option.)
Nomad
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »

Lexi gave an interview in which she suggested that Ray direct the next Punisher, were there to be one.  I can't imagine that she would say such a thing if the two of them hadn't discussed it.  But to my knowledge, he has made no public response to her comment.

Several things are fun to speculate about.  For example:

*  Would he direct himself, or cast another actor in the Punisher role? 

*  If he and Lexi discussed the possibility of him directing, did they ever have any discussions with any Lion's Gate execs?  They still own the film rights to The Punisher. 

*  Would Ray continue in the direction and feel of the film, or would he take another tack altogether? 

*  Would he want to keep the R rating, or go for something PG-13?  This would not necessarily dilute the character.  I was rather surprised that TDK was PG-13, because Heath Ledger's Joker was so damn scary!  So it CAN be done, making a PG-13 film that would (mostly) satisfy the fans of R films while increasing the potential audience.

frank
Newbie.

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »

Lexi's directing suggestion is interesting, because it could essentially make a sequel that much more likely.  For example, Ray could justify a direct-to-video project by viewing it as a chance to direct, while the studio could find the arrangement a lot easier on them (both creatively and financially).

However, I would hope that such a film would maintain the same R-rated tone, because it's a huge reason this film has engendered respect among comic and film buffs.  It will also be a crucial part of its cult appeal.  Much like this year's "Rambo", it may not translate at the box office, but the gamble will definitely pay off when it hits dvd.
Nomad
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »

Lexi's directing suggestion is interesting, because it could essentially make a sequel that much more likely.  For example, Ray could justify a direct-to-video project by viewing it as a chance to direct, while the studio could find the arrangement a lot easier on them (both creatively and financially).

Yes, it would be a forward pass for him, not lateral, so I could see him wanting to do it.

However, I would hope that such a film would maintain the same R-rated tone, because it's a huge reason this film has engendered respect among comic and film buffs.  It will also be a crucial part of its cult appeal.  Much like this year's "Rambo", it may not translate at the box office, but the gamble will definitely pay off when it hits dvd.

I've made a rather heretical suggestion elsewhere in private, but I may as well run it by you, frank, that Thomas Jane be involved with Ray in some capacity in a future Punisher film.  Whether that would be as producer, writer, whatever.  I thought it could generate a lot of excitement, improve the prospects for funding, and unite the fan base.  What do you think?

frank
Newbie.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 03:56:12 PM »

I've made a rather heretical suggestion elsewhere in private, but I may as well run it by you, frank, that Thomas Jane be involved with Ray in some capacity in a future Punisher film.  Whether that would be as producer, writer, whatever.  I thought it could generate a lot of excitement, improve the prospects for funding, and unite the fan base.  What do you think?

It would be interesting to see Jane play the villain, although that might anger some of his fans.  But...Punisher vs. Punisher?  That's the kind of geek fantasy that people always want in other franchises (ie. James Bond), but never have any real chance of seeing.   :D

A bigger asset would be getting Garth Ennis to write the screenplay, although his inclusion would probably affect the budget.

But P:WZ was essentially a very low-budget film.  Lexi and her crew did a remarkable job of making some of those sets look far more impressive than they actually were.  If Ray could maintain that same standard and look, a direct-to-dvd film could be just as satisfying.

Hell, if it were up to me, Ray Stevenson would make a new Punisher film every year.   ;D
Nomad
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »

It would be interesting to see Jane play the villain, although that might anger some of his fans.  But...Punisher vs. Punisher?  That's the kind of geek fantasy that people always want in other franchises (ie. James Bond), but never have any real chance of seeing.   :D

A bigger asset would be getting Garth Ennis to write the screenplay, although his inclusion would probably affect the budget.

But P:WZ was essentially a very low-budget film.  Lexi and her crew did a remarkable job of making some of those sets look far more impressive than they actually were.  If Ray could maintain that same standard and look, a direct-to-dvd film could be just as satisfying.

Hell, if it were up to me, Ray Stevenson would make a new Punisher film every year.   ;D

I just had a geekgasm! Punisher vs Punisher AND written by Garth Ennis!  And we need Steve Gainer to stay on as DP, Andrew Neskoromny as production designer and Michael Wandmacher as composer.  OOF!  I'm weak in the knees just thinking about it!

iblauralee

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »

As much as I would like another Punisher movie, I hope Ray does not do a direct to DVD movie.  I think he is way better than that.  I think once you go there, you go down the same road as Jean Claude Van Damme.  I wouldn't want to see that happen to him. I hope that while the Punisher wasn't a box office success, other people in the industry will see him and put him in more popular movies.  He should be someone's love interest in a Romantic Commedy.  Pierce Brosnan and Tom Cruise can still do it and I think they are both older than Ray.  I think he would melt a million hearts if he was in a movie like Made of Honor like Kevin McKidd.   :ray: :lips: :crush:
Toduo

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »

As much as I would like another Punisher movie, I hope Ray does not do a direct to DVD movie.  I think he is way better than that.  I think once you go there, you go down the same road as Jean Claude Van Damme.  I wouldn't want to see that happen to him. I hope that while the Punisher wasn't a box office success, other people in the industry will see him and put him in more popular movies.  He should be someone's love interest in a Romantic Commedy.  Pierce Brosnan and Tom Cruise can still do it and I think they are both older than Ray.  I think he would melt a million hearts if he was in a movie like Made of Honor like Kevin McKidd.   :ray: :lips: :crush:
I believe Ray has already had a movie go straight to DVD - in the States anyhow. Outpost, I believe was not released on the big screen there. An amazing director is what Ray needs in the not too distant future; I'd personally like to see what Scorcese or Tarantino can get out of him!  :cheers:

:toduo:
Nomad
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »

Tarantino????  EEEEKKKKK!!!   :pullo: :duh:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: