Ray Stevenson Community
February 19, 2018, 12:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Box office stats  (Read 24444 times)
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »

I have always felt that he would do well in a Cary Grant-type romantic comedy.  Let his great sense of comedic timing shine!  And oh, that charm.  He has so much more than Pullo in him, great though he was in that role.

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2008, 05:06:17 AM »

This guy has it right!

WITH BOX-OFFICE attendance off by 3.5 percent this year, it's fair to say Hollywood's not getting any fatter.
But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to make some New Year's resolutions. Here are five ideas to get the industry rolling again.

1. More comedies, please. Audiences have spoken. We will flock to your comedies, no matter how bad they are (Yes, I'm talking about you, "What Happens in Vegas"). This is a year when "Fool's Gold" and "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" spent something like six weeks at the top of the box office. "Yes Man" (as of this writing) is the most popular movie in America, following on the heels of "Four Christmases" and "Madagascar 2." I'd rather have a sinus infection than see "Mamma Mia," but I get why others loved it.

These are lousy times, and we don't want to go to the movies to feel lousier. In "Stardust Memories," aliens put it to Woody Allen this way: "You want to do mankind a real service, tell funnier jokes."

Allen took his own advice. He stopped making movies about treacherous Brits killing each other, and made a movie about gorgeous people making love and drinking sangria in sunny Spain. "Vicki Christina Barcelona" was his best movie in ages.

In this environment, no wonder Judd Apatow is a hot ticket. There's great advance buzz for Apatow regular Paul Rudd and his new comedy, "I Love You, Man" due out early next year.

2. Stop making so many depressing movies. Enough already with the end of the world. "The Day the Earth Stood Still (also known as the Day Keanu Reeves' Face Stood Still"), "City of Ember," "Hellboy II," or "The Happening." M. Night Shyamalan's "Happening" was picked in a Moviephone poll as the year's worst, which is harsh. I saw movies that were far more awful, but I sympathize with voters who want more from a summer movie than a contagion of mass suicide.

Shyamalan is going the action-adventure route with a screen adaptation of "The Last Airbender," and I say hooray for that.

3. Stop hiring Paul Haggis to write James Bond movies. Who's idea was this? Who looked at the Bond franchise and said, "We need more of that 'Crash,' vibe, that 'In the Valley of Elah' thing that Haggis does so well."

Girls, martinis, one-liners. Is that so hard? Are you really telling us that Bond's most meaningful opposite-sex relationship is with Judi Dench?

We don't need Bond to expose the corruption of major intelligence services while somebody follows him around with a hand-held camera. We've got Jason Bourne for that.

4. Stop with the sadism. The action movie and the horror movie are nearly dead, destroyed by writers and directors who think that action and horror are torture and mutilation. Five is enough "Saw" movies. And let's give up on "The Punisher." It didn't work with Dolph Lundgren, it didn't work with Thomas Jane, and it didn't work with Ray Stevenson. Three strikes and you're out.

I saw one pretty good horror movie last year, a Scandinavian vampire story called "Let the Right One In." It's about a vulnerable, bullied boy who's seduced by a monster he mistakes for a protective child. That's what makes it horrifying, not the blood that goes with it. Hollywood's already at work on a U.S. remake; let's hope they get it right.

5. $20 million worth of special effects is not the same as an ending. What a disappointment to see that the best Spielberg and Lucas could come up for grand finale of "Indy 4" was a trite CGI image of a spaceship, or whatever the hell it was was, coming out of the ground.

Steven, George, there's a reason "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight" kicked your butts this summer. They invested in story and character. *

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/features/columnists/20081226_Gary_Thompson__Listen_up__Hollywood__This_critic_is_sick_of_your_bad_flicks.html

Now we just need to see Ray :crush: in the lead of a "serious" romantic comedy.  And if he can do it accessing all that Titus Pullo charm, all the better!

:nomad:

Thanks for posting this article Nomad *hugs*

Not sure about the three strikes and out for Punisher... but then again I haven't seen PWZ yet so don't know whether it smells as sweet as roses or like the manure around it  :worry-rose: but anything that exposes my darling Ray *gulp* is rose like to me *giggles*.

You know thinking of romantic comedy, I've been seeing George Clooney in a coffee advert here in the UK *wonders whether he needs the dosh?!* and although I can see what others see in him, he's never really done much for me. Ray is so MUCH more handsome and appealing and sexy and charming and OK you get the message but Ray should get the bigger, meatier parts *gulp* that might be usually considered for George. For example, that One Fine Day he did with Michelle Pfffeffeeiffer *cough* you know her. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that. Ray would be fab in that sort of er, fluff.

However, he'd be infinitely better I'm sure in some gritty Brit drama. A Mike Leigh film perhaps, or one like the brilliant Rita, Sue and Bob Too, where he can be a proper bluurk and show off his credentials *gulp* and use his natural accent and wonderfully natural expressions to the very best of his abilities.

Just my thoughts on this Christmas Sunday *A mulled Labia wanders off for another glass of mulled wine*  :cheers:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

I agree, Labia.  Now if we can just get casting agents to think, "hmm...George Clooney unavailable - wow! what about Ray Stevenson!  I think that Cary Grarnt pops into my mind because I am so much older than you and grew up mooning over him.  And he was so dashing, an adjective that could be applied to Ray if he were given the right role.

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »

Not sure about the three strikes and out for Punisher... but then again I haven't seen PWZ yet so don't know whether it smells as sweet as roses or like the manure around it  :worry-rose: but anything that exposes my darling Ray *gulp* is rose like to me *giggles*.

I saw it.  Alas all that working out and Ray was not even exposed.  *pats you*

You know thinking of romantic comedy, I've been seeing George Clooney in a coffee advert here in the UK *wonders whether he needs the dosh?!* and although I can see what others see in him, he's never really done much for me. Ray is so MUCH more handsome and appealing and sexy and charming and OK you get the message but Ray should get the bigger, meatier parts *gulp* that might be usually considered for George. For example, that One Fine Day he did with Michelle Pfffeffeeiffer *cough* you know her. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that. Ray would be fab in that sort of er, fluff.

Mmmmmmm sod Ray, gimme Michelle Pfeiffer.  *copious drool*  Does one have to need money if they do coffee/tea adverts?  *cough*Nambarrie*cough*

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »

I agree, Labia.  Now if we can just get casting agents to think, "hmm...George Clooney unavailable - wow! what about Ray Stevenson!  I think that Cary Grarnt pops into my mind because I am so much older than you and grew up mooning over him.  And he was so dashing, an adjective that could be applied to Ray if he were given the right role.

Mrs Pullo is juuuuuust a few years younger than you and also drools over Cary Grant. Interesting that a person's image can live on well after death such that new generations can still dribble over them.

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Nomad
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »

Cary Grant, were he alive today, would be just a few days shy of his 105th birthday.  One of my favorite films of his was People Will Talk (1950).  I don't think I even know another person who has seen it, come to think of it.  But it was excellently written and directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, a sly shot over the bow of Joseph McCarthy.

But he was absolutely fabulous in the screwball comedies of the 30s like Bringing Up Baby, Topper, and The Philadelphia Story.  There just isn't anybody like ole Archie, is there?

I wonder what Ray :crush: would be like in a screwball comedy? :think:

Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »

Cary Grant, were he alive today, would be just a few days shy of his 105th birthday.  One of my favorite films of his was People Will Talk (1950).  I don't think I even know another person who has seen it, come to think of it.  But it was excellently written and directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, a sly shot over the bow of Joseph McCarthy.

But he was absolutely fabulous in the screwball comedies of the 30s like Bringing Up Baby, Topper, and The Philadelphia Story.  There just isn't anybody like ole Archie, is there?

*Sigh* Nomad, I can't tell you how many times I too have wondered what Ray would be like in a screw *slaps self* er, ball comedy  :o

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »

I saw it.  Alas all that working out and Ray was not even exposed.  *pats you*

Mmmmmmm sod Ray, gimme Michelle Pfeiffer.  *copious drool*  Does one have to need money if they do coffee/tea adverts?  *cough*Nambarrie*cough*

*Snork*

Ahh yes! Ray did that Nambarrie Tea voice-over thingy once, didn't he?! Needing money or no, his voice would certainly make me get my cu... *cough* caddy out and willingly offer him one. A nice cuppa that is  ::)

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »

oh yes, Nomad and Labia, he would be great in a .....comedy. He has great comedic timing. I did see "People Will Talk", it was great...Cary has been, is and always will be my favorite all time actor..(sorry, Ray, you just don't have the body of work, yet, that he accumulated) Cary aged like fine wine and still played leading men later in life...he is truly an icon!   :clap: :loveys:

I would love to see Ray do more diversified roles..Here's to Ray getting the parts he deserves  :cheers: :2drink:

Mob1 icon
Nomad
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »

oh yes, Nomad and Labia, he would be great in a .....comedy. He has great comedic timing. I did see "People Will Talk", it was great...Cary has been, is and always will be my favorite all time actor..(sorry, Ray, you just don't have the body of work, yet, that he accumulated) Cary aged like fine wine and still played leading men later in life...he is truly an icon!   :clap: :loveys:

I would love to see Ray do more diversified roles..Here's to Ray getting the parts he deserves  :cheers: :2drink:
And here's to :nomad: getting Ray's parts that she deserves.   :rockon2: :cheer: :cheers:

mob1
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »

And here's to :nomad: getting Ray's parts that she deserves.   :rockon2: :cheer: :cheers:

Naughty Girl, Nomad...wicked, wicked, wicked.....    :devilish:  :lol:   My xmas dreams fulfilled my wishes.... :loveys:

Mob1 icon
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »

:popcorn: :callme: :fanmail: :saywot:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »

Oooh wot about Cary Grant in 'An Affair To Remember' with Deborah Kerr?! I LOVE that film! *Sniff* They just don't make films like that any more  :worshippy:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »

Oooh wot about Cary Grant in 'An Affair To Remember' with Deborah Kerr?! I LOVE that film! *Sniff* They just don't make films like that any more  :worshippy:

mmm. I appreciate Cary Grant. :cool2: :-*  :dance: But I have only seen one (The Philadelphia Story) out of those films you three mentioned. I must catch up! :popcorn:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2008, 07:15:47 PM »

Mrs Pullo is juuuuuust a few years younger than you and also drools over Cary Grant. Interesting that a person's image can live on well after death such that new generations can still dribble over them.

Ahh, Mrs Pullo and I seem to agree on the men we like, (Chris Noth, John Hamm, etc) she must have excellent taste, Titus  :ray:

Mob1 icon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: