Ray Stevenson Community
February 19, 2018, 06:54:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Articles and blurbs on "The Book of Eli"  (Read 64035 times)
Nomad
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »

Pre-production appears to be happening in Albuquerque.  The lawyers and realtors always seem to know these things first.   :coffee:

Sunday, December 7, 2008
MY MAN DENZEL IS IN TOWN AT LAST
The new film, "The Book of Eli" began production at the ABQ Studios last week. We are all hoping there is not a Screen Actors strike and that production can continue.

http://hollywoodrealtorinnm.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-man-denzel-is-in-town-at-last.html

Eep!  We're going to need to keep track of the potential actors' strike!   :nailbite2:  Titus, we need you to write something brilliant and informative about this.  So get to work!   :whip:

:nomad:
Toduo

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »

ah, let us hope that TP surfaces from his cyber hibernation in time to follow through on your request :lol: :cheers:

:toduo:
Nomad
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »

ah, let us hope that TP surfaces from his cyber hibernation in time to follow through on your request :lol: :cheers:

I shall shortly release him from his captivity, chained as he is, under my desk.   :devilish:

TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »

Pre-production appears to be happening in Albuquerque.  The lawyers and realtors always seem to know these things first.   :coffee:

Sunday, December 7, 2008
The new film, "The Book of Eli" began production at the ABQ Studios last week. We are all hoping there is not a Screen Actors strike and that production can continue.

http://hollywoodrealtorinnm.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-man-denzel-is-in-town-at-last.html

Eep!  We're going to need to keep track of the potential actors' strike!   :nailbite2:  Titus, we need you to write something brilliant and informative about this.  So get to work!   :whip:

Me write something brilliant and informative? Ye doth ask [dramatic pause...] TOO MUCH!!   :hide:

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »

I shall shortly release him from his captivity, chained as he is, under my desk.   :devilish:
*ties nomad's shoelaces together*  :hypocrite:

TP icon
Toduo

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Me write something brilliant and informative? Ye doth ask [dramatic pause...] TOO MUCH!!   :hide:
OK, then can you write the usual sh*te - that should surffice for the time being!  :lol: :cheers:

:toduo:
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »

*Snorks* @ Toduo!

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »

Ahahaha!

Nomad you might need to tighten that Humbler up a notch my dear.

*Labia runs off with a sudden urge to stuff her cheeks with a couple of marshmallows*

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:31:25 PM »

Ahahaha!

Nomad you might need to tighten that Humbler up a notch my dear.

*Labia runs off with a sudden urge to stuff her cheeks with a couple of marshmallows*
Damn it, Labia! *hobbles after you*  A projectile would be good about now.  *lobs Nomad's shoes at you*

TP icon
LadyAugustine
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »

K we aren't talking about those white squishy flat poofy things you get in the grocery aisle are we?

:neen:
Nomad
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »

The Hughes Brothers have been absent from the big screen for far too long. Their last feature, the so-so adaptation of Alan Moore’s From Hell with Johnny Depp, was released way back in 2001. Since then, they’ve dabbled in docs and TV work, so I’m pretty astounded by my acute anticipation for Hughes Bros movies. I mean, the wild-eyed energy and knack for cool they displayed with Menace II Society and Dead Presidents made a stir in the industry more than 10 years ago.

Denzel Washington will star in the directors’ Book of Eli for mega-producer Joel Silver. Described by screenwriter Gary Whitta (upcoming Akira movies) as a “kind of post-apocalyptic Western,” here’s the logline…

A lone hero fights his way across the wasteland of post-apocalyptic America. He’s the protector of a sacred book that may hold the key to saving humanity.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/04/hughes-brothers-to-direct-denzel-washington-in-dystopian-drama-book-of-eli/

A rewrite of Witta’s script was done by Anthony Peckham, who scribed Clint Eastwood’s planned Nelson Mandela biopic, The Human Factor, and Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes. I look forward to hearing more about this project because my kneejerk reaction is a blockbuster-drippy version of I Am Legend sans mutants rather than a dystopian nightmare-scape a la the buzz surrounding this winter’s The Road. But truthfully, Washington always lowers my hopes for grimly-sounding material. Too much the surface charmer. The writers’ credits are admittedly intriguing and Albert and Allen Hughes remain more hit than miss.

Additional info I found:

Gary Whitta is a game designer and video games journalist.  He's writing another film called Akira (2011) which is part one of a two-part live action adaptation of the 1988 anime film, in which the leader of a biker gang tries to save his kidnapped friend from a powerful supernatural experiment.

Here's his blog site:

http://gwhitta.blogspot.com/

HAH!  I just noticed he hasn't made a blog entry here in over a year!  Must be a busy boy. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:52:23 PM by Nomad » Logged
Nomad
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »

From Box Office Prophets:

Post-apocalyptic films have traditionally found mixed results at the box office. For every I Am Legend ($256.4 million domestic, $584 million worldwide), there’s a The Postman ($17.6 million domestic, $27 million worldwide). Then there are those that become genuine classics like The Road Warrior, and others that become synonymous with Hollywood excess such as Waterworld. The easiest lesson we can extract from this is that no one really wants Kevin Costner around after the world ends (Cheap shot, I know, but I really wouldn’t want Kevin Costner around after the world ends).

For that matter, westerns seem to perform better without Kevin Costner’s involvement. While certainly not a hot genre for any star, Kurt Russell’s Tombstone ($56.5 million), won the shoot-out of the OK Corral films back in the mid-'90s, against Costner’s Wyatt Earp ($25.1 million). (I know, I know, Costner’s Open Range did respectable business at $58.3 million, but it doesn’t fit my thesis, so I’ll acknowledge it and move on.)

One could argue that all of this bodes well for the post-apocalyptic western The Book of Eli, helmed by acclaimed director siblings the Hughes brothers, of Menace II Society and From Hell fame. Bringing us the tale of a hero trekking across a wasted America in search of a book holding secrets of humanity’s survival, Eli stars Denzel Washington, Mila Kunis, Gary Oldman, and not Kevin Costner.

Washington has been as reliable a draw over the past few years as Costner has been off putting. Just contrast American Gangster ($130 million), Déjà Vu ($64 million), Inside Man ($88 Million), The Manchurian Candidate ($65.9 million), and Man on Fire ($77.9 million) with Costner’s Swing Vote ($16.3 million), Mr. Brooks ($28.5 million), Rumor Has It ($43 million), and The Upside of Anger ($18.8 million). Kunis and Oldman, while certainly not headliners, are coming off stronger showings themselves with Forgetting Sarah Marshall ($62.9 million) for the former, and the mega-franchises Harry Potter and Batman for the latter.

As a director, Costner has had better luck. His Academy Award winning Dances with Wolves raked in $184 million back in 1990. But then, The Postman happened. A legendary failure of Gigli proportions, Postman received such acid reviews and anemic box office, it became as infamous an icon of showbiz indulgence as Dances did of showbiz success.

Contrast that with the Hughes brothers. While never A-listers in the Costner sense, their smaller films earn positive notices and solid box office, and the duo has developed a respected name in the industry. Menace II Society pulled in $27.9 million against a $2.5 million budget in 1993, and has an 86% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Two years later, their next offering, Dead Presidents, brought in $26.3 million back from a $15 million budget and earned a less impressive, but still solid, 63% positive rating from Rotten Tomatoes. Okay, so From Hell didn’t make back its budget. It still has a small following with the graphic novel crowd. They’re no Spielberg, but the Hughes have never delivered a Postman-style disaster upon ticket buyers.

Bottom line, Book of Eli has its strengths, such as Denzel, and its weaknesses, the western genre, but one thing it has going for it is a distinct lack of Kevin Costner. There you go, Warner Bros. Put that on the poster. (Martin Felipe/BOP)

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/tickermaster/listing.cfm?TMID=4678

Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »

From Box Office Prophets:

Post-apocalyptic films have traditionally found mixed results at the box office. For every I Am Legend ($256.4 million domestic, $584 million worldwide), there’s a The Postman ($17.6 million domestic, $27 million worldwide). Then there are those that become genuine classics like The Road Warrior, and others that become synonymous with Hollywood excess such as Waterworld. The easiest lesson we can extract from this is that no one really wants Kevin Costner around after the world ends (Cheap shot, I know, but I really wouldn’t want Kevin Costner around after the world ends).

For that matter, westerns seem to perform better without Kevin Costner’s involvement. While certainly not a hot genre for any star, Kurt Russell’s Tombstone ($56.5 million), won the shoot-out of the OK Corral films back in the mid-'90s, against Costner’s Wyatt Earp ($25.1 million). (I know, I know, Costner’s Open Range did respectable business at $58.3 million, but it doesn’t fit my thesis, so I’ll acknowledge it and move on.)

One could argue that all of this bodes well for the post-apocalyptic western The Book of Eli, helmed by acclaimed director siblings the Hughes brothers, of Menace II Society and From Hell fame. Bringing us the tale of a hero trekking across a wasted America in search of a book holding secrets of humanity’s survival, Eli stars Denzel Washington, Mila Kunis, Gary Oldman, and not Kevin Costner.

Washington has been as reliable a draw over the past few years as Costner has been off putting. Just contrast American Gangster ($130 million), Déjà Vu ($64 million), Inside Man ($88 Million), The Manchurian Candidate ($65.9 million), and Man on Fire ($77.9 million) with Costner’s Swing Vote ($16.3 million), Mr. Brooks ($28.5 million), Rumor Has It ($43 million), and The Upside of Anger ($18.8 million). Kunis and Oldman, while certainly not headliners, are coming off stronger showings themselves with Forgetting Sarah Marshall ($62.9 million) for the former, and the mega-franchises Harry Potter and Batman for the latter.

As a director, Costner has had better luck. His Academy Award winning Dances with Wolves raked in $184 million back in 1990. But then, The Postman happened. A legendary failure of Gigli proportions, Postman received such acid reviews and anemic box office, it became as infamous an icon of showbiz indulgence as Dances did of showbiz success.

Contrast that with the Hughes brothers. While never A-listers in the Costner sense, their smaller films earn positive notices and solid box office, and the duo has developed a respected name in the industry. Menace II Society pulled in $27.9 million against a $2.5 million budget in 1993, and has an 86% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Two years later, their next offering, Dead Presidents, brought in $26.3 million back from a $15 million budget and earned a less impressive, but still solid, 63% positive rating from Rotten Tomatoes. Okay, so From Hell didn’t make back its budget. It still has a small following with the graphic novel crowd. They’re no Spielberg, but the Hughes have never delivered a Postman-style disaster upon ticket buyers.

Bottom line, Book of Eli has its strengths, such as Denzel, and its weaknesses, the western genre, but one thing it has going for it is a distinct lack of Kevin Costner. There you go, Warner Bros. Put that on the poster. (Martin Felipe/BOP)

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/tickermaster/listing.cfm?TMID=4678

*Checks date* Is it Kevin Costner Bashing Day?!  :think:

I've never seen Dances With Wolves but it's on my list of 'Films I Suppose I Ought To See Before I Die Or At Least Before I Arrange My CD Collection Alphabetically'. OK Kevin ain't my fave actor but love his name [my bro is called Kevin!] and I caught his film Dragonfly quite accidentally a while ago and absolutely loved it. It was interesting, spooky, uplifting and thoroughly enjoyable with a tear-jerker ending.. always a hit with me!

So this Box Office Prophet doesn't rate Kevin. They also don't mention Ray as a star in Book of Eli *slap* but nice to know they rate it as a forthcoming hit movie... more opportunities for Ray to expose himself *cough* I mean to get more exposure  ;D

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »

Must be, Labia....it seems unfair to compare the recent Denzel movies with Kevin's latest ones. Denzel's were all action based movies or thrillers which always draw bigger audiences, while Kevin's were romantic comedies. All were thoroughly enjoyable chick flicks which Kevin does much better than Denzel, they just don't draw as much money at the box office. Apples and oranges if you ask me.

Too many critics giving their 2 cents these days with all the blogs and online critics...seems like everyone is a critic these days. Bah Humbug!!

Mob1 icon
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »

An article   :listit: from a RayVing blogger...this woman has some good taste, me thinks  :clap:

Ray Stevenson Sheds Some Light On 'The Book of Eli'

by Elisabeth Rappe Dec 4th 2008 // 7:15PM

Filed under: Action, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Thrillers, Casting, Warner Brothers, Scripts, Newsstand, War
The Book of Eli had me halfway when they cast Gary Oldman -- but they got a guaranteed ticket sale from me when they cast Ray Stevenson. I'm disappointed that he's playing another badass assassin type, but hey, at least I'll believe he could kick Denzel Washington's ass.

The plot description has been incredibly dry thus far -- a man named Eli protects a book that may be humanity's salvation, Oldman is the despotic mayor of a struggling town, Mila Kunis is an assassin sent to kill Eli, but who ends up joining him. But we have a little more, courtesy of its newest cast member. Stevenson sat down with Reelz Channel, and shed a little more light on the bleak future this film will inhabit. "The world in which it is set is completely uncompromising. The most precious commodity is actually water, because virtually all of the water is poison, toxic -- whether it's due to eruptions from the earth or the poisons in the sky. These very basic things are what drives human nature down to almost animalistic qualities. But what still separates us from the animals?"

Hmmm. Shades of Waterworld, a threat that looms over every post-apocalyptic film not titled The Road. There's never an in between when it comes to this genre ... you either end up with something cool and Max Maxish, or you end up with The Postman. Let's keep hoping for the best, though. The film begins shooting in February, and has a release date of January 15, 2010.

0 Comments

Tags: albert hughes, AlbertHughes, alcon entertainment, AlconEntertainment, allen hughes, AllenHughes, Denzel Washington, DenzelWashington, gary oldman, GaryOldman, mila kunis, MilaKunis, Ray Stevenson, RayStevenson, The book of Eli, TheBookOfEli, Warner Bros, WarnerBros

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:31:56 PM by mob1 » Logged

Mob1 icon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: