Ray Stevenson Community
February 22, 2018, 11:59:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Articles and blurbs on "The Book of Eli"  (Read 64103 times)
Nomad
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »

The Book of Eli
By Julie Carter for Vamonos
Posted: 01/08/2009 11:23:00 AM MST

A post-apocalyptic Western movie starring Denzel Washington will film in Carrizozo for six days in March with site construction having already begun.

The movie, The Book of Eli, has a storyline that finds a lone man (Washington) fighting his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to the survival of the human race.

Set for release in January 2010, this futuristic thriller is directed by filmmaking duo Albert and Allen Hughes (From Hell and Dead Presidents. Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis and Ray Stevenson co-star in the Warner Bros. production.

The original screenplay is by Gary Whitta, an English screenwriter, author, game designer and video games journalist. Among long-time video game enthusiasts, he is known as the former editor-in-chief of both the UK and US editions of PC Gamer magazine and a contributor to one of the first gaming magazines, ACE.

Whitta has written a number of screenplays and TV episodes, among them are movie scripts and TV episodes for "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Futurama." In March 2007, Whitta announced that his science fiction script, The Book of Eli, had been purchased by Warner Bros. to be produced by Hollywood film producer Joel Silver.

Silver is well-known as an aficionado of architect Frank Lloyd Wright, so he may well find an extra lure to Carrizozo with its many homes influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright's prairie-style houses and built by architect Frank English.

Location Manger Michael Dellheim gave a presentation to the Carrizozo mayor, trustees and audience in Tuesday council meeting.
Dellheim said he had searched around New Mexico for the perfect place to transform an area into a post-nuclear, deserted sort of setting and fell immediately for Carrizozo. A block on 12th Street, between 4th and 5th Avenue, was selected, "fitting all the needs of the project," he said.

Dellheim presented a model of what that one block will look like after construction crews make adjustments to the structures with false fronts and the creation of "buildings" in the vacant areas.

"We needed a movie theatre and we did look hard at the old Lyric Theater," he said. "But it just wasn't big enough." Some filming will take place inside the newly created theatre that will be built next to the current Yucca Bar building.

The actual filming will take place March 3-6 and 9-10, but preliminary site work began on the set in December, with two weeks off for the holidays, and then the return of a full construction crew on Jan. 5.

Dellheim has a long history in New Mexico, where he lives, for working as the location liaison or manager. Going as far back as 1986, when he worked in securing the location for The Milagro Beanfield War and later Lonesome Dove, Young Guns II, Roswell, The Missing, White Sands, Bordertown, No Country for Old Men, Swing Vote and many in between.

"That block will undergo a significant transformation to fill in the empty lots and create the facades and fronts, adjust the structures, and painting etc.," said Dellheim. The first wave of construction brought in 20-25 people with the construction shop being set up in the former Sierra Blanca Brewery building on the next block. "The big invasion will be in January with up to 140 people working on the sets."

Dellheim said they would book the local motels but the overflow will likely stay in Alamogordo and commute.

"We selected Alamogordo for the easier commute should the weather get bad," he explained. "It was for safety reasons as many of the people coming to work are from areas where there is no ice and snow and they have no skills for driving in inclement weather."

There will not be a huge amount of wholesale hiring for the project Dellheim explained, because most of the acting jobs along with the carpenter work are union help. "We will do a casting call here one Saturday, probably in January, for extras and the kind of help we can hire." He said there would also be jobs for site security, and other jobs like that where locals would be hired.

Spectators will be able to view much of the filming as the bulk of it will be outdoors. "We will have shooting, gunfire, actors falling off buildings and that kind of action," Dellheim said.

The movie will be in its fourth week of filming when the crew arrives in Carrizozo. Filming is also taking place in Santa Fe, the old state prison, Cochiti Pueblo and at White Sands.

:nomad:

http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_11406882?source=most_emailed
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »

>>>Spectators will be able to view much of the filming as the bulk of it will be outdoors. "We will have shooting, gunfire, actors falling off buildings and that kind of action," Dellheim said. <<<

Be careful, Ray!!! :pray:

Thanks, Nomad.  :wave:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Toduo

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »

Don;t worry Cam, its more likely 'stunt men falling off buildings'!  :lol: :cheers:

:toduo:
Nomad
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »

The RayVers should take a field trip to NM March 2-11. :gidea:

Oh yes!  Picture us, ladies, in jeans, sunglasses, cowboy hats and boots, sitting in director's chairs under well-placed umbrellas, sipping margaritas and watching Ray work.  :3drnk: :popcorn:  :clap:

Anybody interested?   :devilish:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:35:30 PM by Nomad » Logged
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »

Have a good time  :cheers: (<== not really a margarita but close enough) Nomad!! Drink one for me while you're there.

:wingit:
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 03:27:26 PM »

The RayVers should take a field trip to NM March 2-11. :gidea:

Oh yes!  Picture us, ladies, in jeans, sunglasses, cowboy hats and boots, sitting in director's chairs under well-placed umbrellas, sipping margaritas and watching Ray work.  :3drnk: :popcorn:  :clap:

Anybody interested?   :devilish:

I'm with you, Nomad  ...got my red cowboy boots all ready to go.....sunglasses on  :cool2:, jeans ready, and hat sitting on me head... :pimp:   :2drink:  :cheers:

LET"S ROLL!!!!   :chariot:  hmmm  :think: I think we need to go TOPLESS..   :rockon2:  A convertible, a la Thelma and Louise   :girlpower: , would be just the way to go...arrive in style!!!   :bday: :clap: :dance2: :cheer2: 

Anyone else??? Maybe we can be extras.  :yahoo: 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:29:51 PM by mob1 » Logged

Mob1 icon
Nomad
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »

Bad Girls Road Trip!!!

They're looking for extras, but they want people with dreadlocks.  AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Major motion picture, The Book of Eli, staring Denzel Washington is now casting x-tras, in Albuquerque. Seeking males and females, all ethnicities, with long hair esp. dreads. Mail your email, height and weight to:

Book of Eli Extras
304 Washington SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108

http://www.oneheadlightink.com/sindication/?p=1015

Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »

My hair might lend itself to dreads, but I can't see me zipping off to NM to do that.

Knock back a tequila shooter for me. Maybe Ray will hold the lime and salt for you.  :D

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Nomad
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »

I'll go if Titus promises to meet us there!   :neen: :cool2: :hypocrite:

wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 05:23:46 PM »

Bad Girls Road Trip!!!

They're looking for extras, but they want people with dreadlocks.  AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Major motion picture, The Book of Eli, staring Denzel Washington is now casting x-tras, in Albuquerque. Seeking males and females, all ethnicities, with long hair esp. dreads. Mail your email, height and weight to:

Book of Eli Extras
304 Washington SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108

http://www.oneheadlightink.com/sindication/?p=1015

PSSST Dreads are easy... the secret word is EXTENSIONS.  GO for it :)

Here are a couple of links for information on methods of making dreads and products for taking care of them:

www.dreadlocks.us
www.geocities.com/dreadlocks_dread_locks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by wingit4me » Logged

LadyAugustine
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 04:51:23 AM »

Lordy I am SNIGGERING MY ARSE off at the visual of me with long dread locks.....   :lol:

I'm game to go (god willing the creek don't rise etc :P )  it's only about a 15 hour drive from where I live.  Hot dang it sounds like fun!
Nomad
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 10:17:25 AM »

I just got this in the mail.  Twasn't I who typed it all in caps!  It came from a dispatch from the local radio station.

LOOKING TO GET INTO THE MOVIES? THINGS ARE MOVING ALONG WITH THE SET BUILDING ON 12TH STREET IN CARRIZOZO. THEY’RE EXPECTING AN ADDITIONAL SIXTY WORKER BEES TO JOIN THIS BUNCH THIS WEEK. FOR THOSE OF YOU LOOKING FOR A CHANCE TO BE DISCOVERED OR JUST LOOKIN FOR A LITTLE LEGAL EXHIBITIONISM AND A COUPLE OF BUCKS, YOUR CHANCE WILL COME THIS SATURDAY. THE MOVIE, THE BOOK OF ELI, STARRING DENZEL WASHINGTON, CARY OLDMAN AND MILA KUNIS WILL HOLD AN OPEN CASTING CALL SATURDAY FROM 10 AM TO 3PM AT THE CARRIZOZO TOWN HALL. THE PRODUCTION WILL EMPLOY ALMOST 100 PEOPLE FROM THE CARRIZOZO AREA. THE CASTING DIRECTOR IS LOOKING FOR HISPANICS, AFRICAN AMERICANS AND ANGLOS OF ALL AGES, ESPECIALLY WITH LONG HAIR AND OR DREADLOCKS. WASHINGTON WHO IS ALSO A PRODUCER OF THE FILM, HAS WON TWO ACADEMY AWARDS. FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT GABEL AT 505-227-2816

http://kwes.net/node/408
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »

>>>THE CASTING DIRECTOR IS LOOKING FOR HISPANICS, AFRICAN AMERICANS AND ANGLOS OF ALL AGES, ESPECIALLY WITH LONG HAIR AND OR DREADLOCKS.<<<

Hmm... No Asians / Asian-Americans in the future? :think: :dget:

wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »

>>>THE CASTING DIRECTOR IS LOOKING FOR HISPANICS, AFRICAN AMERICANS AND ANGLOS OF ALL AGES, ESPECIALLY WITH LONG HAIR AND OR DREADLOCKS.<<<

Hmm... No Asians / Asian-Americans in the future? :think: :dget:

This didn't name my particular ethnic mix either, Cam.

TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 02:17:36 PM »

I'll go if Titus promises to meet us there!   :neen: :cool2: :hypocrite:

I'll be there in spirit.  :popcorn:

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print