Ray Stevenson Community
February 20, 2018, 06:47:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Message from Lexi to Global Punisher Army  (Read 7662 times)
iblauralee

« on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »

Hello everyone.  Here is something Nomad found and was kind enough to allow me to post.  It is a message from Lexi to Global Punisher Army.  Here you go!

http://www.globalpunisherarmy.com/gpaboards/index.php?topic=2951.0
As written to the Global Punisher Army on 23 January, 2009:

Hey GPA,

What's up my friends?
I haven't been browsing this site for a while. After the opening weekend I needed a few weeks off from anything Punisher and when I wanted to return to the site Kevin had me blocked!
(No, just kidding, the truth is I couldn't remember my password).

I have been catching up on all the new posts and opinions here and I'd like to comment on a couple of things.

First, the dvd director's cut petition, while I am very touched and flattered by the support & loyalty, the truth is that my original director's cut was not that much different from what we ended up with on the screen. Yes, fans of the film would probably enjoy the few minutes of extra footage that I had to cut, but it won't make a difference to those who hated the film.

This is a very specific film with a very specific take on the material and from what I gathered through reviews and fan mail I get, people either really, really hated it, or really, really loved it.

That's good, actually that's great.
I hated Benjamin Button and I don't understand why it was nominated for any award let alone thirteen Oscars. My husband loves the film and thinks I'm nuts.
My favorite film of 2008 was Ricky Gervais' Ghosttown, which sold about as many tickets as PWZ did.

What I'm saying is, stories are a matter of taste. As a filmmaker you score big when you tell a story with huge mass appeal, well that was challenging from the beginning since you all know quite well as longtime Punisher fans, this source material is not for everybody. We're not talking man pretending to be bat or man pretending to be spider here, we're talking man with skull on chest starts mass murdering.

I know some of you would have liked to see a more realistic version of the Punisher. While I understand that, neither I nor Ray Stevenson would have made this kind of film. In Ray's first meeting with Marvel and the studio he said that he doesn't want to make a vigilante film that'll make some angry teenager go out and shoot people. I really admired him for that and of course I agreed. To us and to many of PWZ's fans, the joy of reading a Max Punisher comic book lies in the "holy *beep* I can't believe this just happened " moments.

A friend of mine forwarded me a review written by a very talented comedian named Patton Oswalt. I would say, of all people out there... he really, really got what we were trying to do. You should check it out sometime, I think it's on his blog.

We wanted to make people laugh out loud, and have their jaws drop as our boy Frank shoots some *beep* and kills people in his larger than life ways.

What we definitely did not want to do is compete with The Dark Night, 'cause trust me, we would have had quite a big disadvantage...to be more specific a three hundred million dollar disadvantage.

I also have read some posts from people who think it was all the studio's or the writers fault. Hey, while I'm the first one to bitch about *beep* studio behavior, in this case, they are not to blame. Other than the music, it really was my film that ended up on the screen. Nick Santora, Matt Holloway and Art Marcum provided us with great material, but they are not responsible nor do they have any kind of control of what story ends up on the screen.

So, if you want to blame anybody, blame me...well and maybe the marketing department that gave us an opening date, which I found out later is historically known as the worst boxoffice weekend.

Filmmaking is not half as glamorous as it seems. William, my young GPA friend, are you sure you want to continue studying film? :-)

So I hadn't even thought about anything Punisher since before Christmas, but the dvd people at Lionsgate called and asked if I wanted to do a commentary. At first I didn't, but my good buddy and cinematographer Steve thought it would be a good idea. He is convinced that PWZ will forever be a huge cult hit. Bless him.

So we ended up at a place called Margarita mix to tape the commentary, which to my surprise did indeed serve Margaritas. Oh my, oh my. After two of those, I had no control over what I was saying and you can probably hear me slur my words half way through. You will also get to hear some pretty honest stuff. Ha, ha, ha.

Well, that's all I have for now. To the GPA crew who came out to the premier: I adore you guys, email me or call me anytime you're in town. I consider you my friends and I mean that!

Best,
Lexi

iblauralee

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »

Hello.  Nomad found this too and allowed me to post it with her kind regards.  It is the review Lexi referenced in the previous post. 

Oh! Forgot! Here's Patton Oswald's review:

PUNISHER: WAR ZONE is THE BEST time I've had at the movies this year. I've seen better films. MUCH better films. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, THE DARK KNIGHT, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN and RACHEL GETTING MARRIED I'm sure, someday, will influence my work and make me think twice before I let slide something hack-y and un-original.

But I didn't ever feel like standing up on my chair and cheering. None of them made me cackle like a railyard hobo who's found half a cigar and a can of beans. And none of them had a scene where Dominic West, in Frankenstein makeup, convinces black, Chinese and Irish gangs to put aside their differences and act as cannon-fodder in his hissy fit vengeance scheme against Frank Castle, aka The Punisher.

People are not shot in this film. They have holes blasted through them or are turned into sticky mist.

People are not punched in this film. They have their faces pummeled off.

Children are not threatened. They are un-fixably scarred for life.

The film does not contain a hero. It does not contain an anti-hero. It contains a glowering Brit who huffs around in a bullet-proof body canister like he's searching for the perfect toilet to unleash a ten burrito dump. He's just as awful as the villains he dispatches and, unlike scores of other action heroes, does not utter a single clever or ironic quip. He'll plug someone and already be turning away, scanning the horizon for something else to kill. He's played by Ray Stevenson, but could have easily been played by Ray Stevens. He's more a force of destruction than Jason Vorhees or Michael Meyers could ever dream on.

Keep in mind, all of this mayhem, insanity and just-plain *beep* is contained in one of the most beautifully shot films I've seen this year. It's almost distracting, how gorgeous cinematographer Steve Gainer's palette is. It's like he studied BLACK NARCISSUS and THE RED SHOES right before shooting a snuff film.

And director Lexi Alexander, a former stunt woman and kick boxing champion, has just groin-punched her way to the front of the line in the Nutball Director's Pantheon. Make room, Miike! Step aside, Kounen!

PUNISHER: WAR ZONE is still in theaters. Barely. It took ten days for it to body-crawl past 7 million dollars.

Won't you make a pasty shut-ins Christmas dreams come true? Won't you call up an old friend, perhaps an unhinged *beep* you've been avoiding , and take them to see PUNISHER: WAR ZONE? Or maybe the whole family, while you're still digesting Christmas dinner? How amazing would it be if PUNISHER: WAR ZONE rallied, and beat MARLEY AND ME and BENJAMIN BUTTON on Christmas Day?

It'd help an angel get his wings, I bet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/7k3dt/comedian_patton_oswalt_re views_punisher_war_zone/

redshift

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »

Thanks iblauralee for channeling the much missed presence of Nomad back into these pages.  :cheers: It's just too quiet around here  :(

:redshift:
Toduo

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »

I concur, Red!  :worry-rose: :cheers:

:toduo:
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:12:38 PM »

As Johnny Cash, and later Martina McBride, sang, "I still miss someone."   :calimero:  :frusty:

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
Tryne

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 11:05:37 AM »

Well you wont have to miss me anymore, Britmys  :dance2:..
I'm really embarrassed to admit that I have not seen 'The Punisher' yet. Last week I told my boyfriend that I could not understand that the film wasn't released yet.... And now it is out on DVD  :-\...
Well I have been in a kind of dark place for tha last year and film has not been high on my priority list.... Soooo I have some catching up to do... Have not seen 'Outpost' either..  :embarassed:....
But maybe next week I'll watch them both  :clap:
:tryne:

Look here Mars - look here Mars. I'm Titus Pullo. These bloody men - my gift to you.
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »

Well you wont have to miss me anymore, Britmys  :dance2:..
I'm really embarrassed to admit that I have not seen 'The Punisher' yet. Last week I told my boyfriend that I could not understand that the film wasn't released yet.... And now it is out on DVD  :-\...
Well I have been in a kind of dark place for tha last year and film has not been high on my priority list.... Soooo I have some catching up to do... Have not seen 'Outpost' either..  :embarassed:....
But maybe next week I'll watch them both  :clap:
:tryne:

Yay, Tryne!  So glad to see you here again!

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
redshift

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »

Great to see you back, Tryne :cheers:

TP icon

:redshift:
Angelica Constantine

Hen be darned...I am a Rayven. Ray's Rayven!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »

Thanks for posting those, iblauralee.

Hullo, Everyone. *waves*

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: