Ray Stevenson Community
February 18, 2018, 10:54:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 3840 times)
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« on: October 24, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »

When I saw The Vampire's Assistant: Early matinee October 24, 2009
Where: the local big shiny relatively new suburban multi-plex
Number in the audience: I counted 38 including me - some of the employees sneaked in to watch and I was not able to count all of them.
Composition of the audience: one  group of about 10 high school kids with their teacher, the rest were all 2-parent families, lots of parental units with 2 - 3 kids all sharing the huge sized buckets of pop corn.  The youngest child looked around 9 years old.  Oldest there was a grandma. The ad for "Body Heat" deodorant got a huge laugh during the previews-- they might need to reconsider their marketing strategy if it was supposed to be sexy and not funny.

Audience reactions: biggest laugh was the line "I am going to stick my head up your ass", biggest woo-hoo was when they figured out why the bearded lady's beard grows. At the end the class, who were sitting together at the top/back row of the theater seat, applauded. 

My favorite parts: the animated opening credits (of course), followed by the scene where Madam Octa gets loose in the high school hallway ( it  had more action than the fight scenes, and the little scrambling spider is cute). Personal favorite scene of Ray's: menacing the high school teacher, loved the line "I am his mentor".

What I liked:   I thought John C Reilly was the best thing in the movie Chicago and he is outstanding here too. Ray looks like he is having a lot of fun and I thought he came across as both very scary and very insane.  Michael Cerveris and his enormous prosthetic make up job were disgustingly evil.. outstanding job of acting using only his eyes and fingertips.  The cirque's camp was wonderful.. made me wish we could have seen more of it.  The young people who played the teen roles were well-cast and fit their characters. 

What I didn't like: Grew up on a farm and thus have a relatively high tolerance for seeing gross stuff, but, not being a pre-teen boy, I have no real desire to see it either. Not explaining it but there are some  "Eww" moments in the camp.

Biggest disappointment: Ray said in an earlier interview that he dances in this film.. He does but we only see his boots moving.

What I learned from Ray's character: You can groom both your teeth and your nails with the same appliance.

What the reviewers got wrong: (Is there a licensing test to be a movie reviewer? I thought not.) All complains about casting and under/or/over acting were wrong.  Some reviewers found it confusing that the "Cirque" camps out in the woods etc... whatever else they complained about.  They were not paying attention.  It is clearly in the dialog that they are currently camping in their winter home and that it is located 2 states away from where Darren lives (although at least one reviewer went the opposite direction and complained that there is too much exposition in the movie's dialog). The first scene is the funeral after Darren fakes his death, then the narrative goes back in time to explain why, and continues forward from there. Some reviews complained about the narrative line and things being choppy or not hanging together.. I didn't see a problem. If you pay attention, other than the opening scene, the story starts at the beginning and chronologically follows the interrelated lives of friends Darren and Steve.  Gotta wonder how many professional movie critics bothered to do background research and actually read the books.  If you are watching this movie with the logical side of your brain... then why did you bring it?  Watch with the intuitive and emotional side. 

Pay attention:   Lots of Shakespeare quotes. One scene looks like both a gang initiation and a frat house hazing?.  Lots of set up for sequels in both foreshadowing and expository narrative. Gotta wonder if the author sees himself as a Mr Tiny and also gotta wonder how many deep metaphors running through this.  American audiences tend not notice those, but they can react negatively to them since actions that are supposed to be metaphoric often look really stooooopid (have had this discussion with Toduo before).

Question to those who have read all the books (I only read enough to prep for this movie):  Once Mr Tiny  lifts and separates something can it be reconstituted?

Conclusion: Well worth seeing. Take any pre-teens you know and buy a ginormous bin of popcorn with sodas for everybody, relax, enjoy and don't think too hard.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:51:15 PM by wingit4me » Logged

:wingit:
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:56:16 AM »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Two thumbs up from me for the review. :evander: (I think that's a thumb anyway, I have no idea why it is called Evander though)

Very good review, Wing! Much better than anything I have read by an "official" reviewer. Everyone is a critic these days  :cool2: and it is hip to be cynical so they hand out cynicism like it was candy.

Your review was spot on, well, I think it prolly is; not sure until I see it and that may not be for a long while still. I really, really want to see it now; it looked so cute from the clips. I hope this is a feather in Ray's crowded cap.  :clap: :cheer2:

Mob1 icon
Nomad
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Two thumbs up from me for the review. :evander: (I think that's a thumb anyway, I have no idea why it is called Evander though)

Very good review, Wing! Much better than anything I have read by an "official" reviewer. Everyone is a critic these days  :cool2: and it is hip to be cynical so they hand out cynicism like it was candy.

Your review was spot on, well, I think it prolly is; not sure until I see it and that may not be for a long while still. I really, really want to see it now; it looked so cute from the clips. I hope this is a feather in Ray's crowded cap.  :clap: :cheer2:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Maryann!  It's called "Evander" coz that's the name of the guy who was shagging Niobe and was rewarded by spending some quality time with Pullo in the sewer, having his thumbs cut off.  Great scene, with Little Octavian directing the interrogation!  Woo hoo!  Rome was the BEST!!!  Lord!  I miss that show!

And yes, Wing, great review!

:nomad:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »

I went to the theater to see The Vampire's Assistant / Cirque du Freak last night. It was a fun movie! Hahaha...Ray was still attractive to me, even with the scary ugly makeup and jagged teeth and jagged fingernails. He was a hoot, running and fighting and flying in his dashing jacket and boots. And his voice is still as sexy as ever!  :dance: I was ... errr ... seizing up with excitement.  :nailbite2: :drule: :squirm: :party:

Ray seemed to enjoy himself, and I thought Murlaugh was fun even if he was a bad guy and didn't seem too deep ::). I don't even know what accent he was doing. I thought maybe Scottish. My companion thought maybe Irish.

Unfortunately I went to the theater without getting dinner first. I gorged myself on popcorn. Buttered! eek! I haven't had popcorn in a long time.... that was a medium??? I was going to get a small...and the guy said there wasn't much difference in price....my companion said Go For It when I considered the butter.... tsk, tsk. If only I found the movie more disgusting...so it could put me off my popcorn.  :popcorn: I brought some home and the dogs had fun catching pieces which I threw to them. The rest of it sits in the oven right now...

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »

...or maybe it was a large popcorn.... I dunno. I hardly paid attention. I just wanted to get inside and get a good seat to drink in Ray being menacing and powerful on the large screen. :plot: :faint: :pray: :shy:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »

Thanks, wing and Cam, for the review and post.  I meant to go see it this past weekend, but will make it next weekend for sure.  I'm salivating just thinking about it, even if Ray does have creepy fingernails and teeth.

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
DoRaMe
Newbie.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:01:28 PM »

Just got back from seeing the flick and I have to say not only was Ray the best thing about this whole movie, my daughter is now a fan of his too. "Oh no! I've got a new obsession! I must see Rome!" Amazing, since I've been referring to Ray as my next husband for years now, that she would pay him mind at all! It's the Ray Love spreading!

I have been waiting for a year since I learned he was going to be in it. The whole movie was very entertaining and Ray, sigh, was so wonderful I can't wait to get the DVD so I can ff to his parts (ahem) only. I hope Mr. Tiny has the power to do the reverse or probably will not see the sequels, (if any). :ray:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 07:32:40 AM »

OO found a sane review that I agree with:
http://www.fatguysatthemovies.com/

"CIRQUE DU FREAK: THE VAMPIRE’S ASSISTANT"
Movie Review
by Kevin Carr

The first trailers for “Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant” had me intrigued the moment I saw them. It wasn’t that I was excited to see another vampire movie because Lord knows, we’ve had plenty of them to choose from over the years. What caught my eye was the look and feel of the film. It was like a community haunted house, with all the Halloween decorations and spooky lighting.

I’m a sucker for that kind of thing. I have been ever since I was a kid going to said community haunted houses.

I was a little nervous going into the screening simply because I didn’t know what to make of the film. I had never read Darren Shan’s original books, but I was aware that it was a popular series for young adults. And compared to other young adult books turned movies lately (e.g., “Inkheart,” “City of Ember” and yes even the much loved “Twilight” series), this looked like one that I could get behind.

The story follows sixteen year old Darren Shan (Chris Massoglia) as he visits a freak show that comes to town and is eventually made into a half-vampire by Larten Crepsley (John C. Reilly), one of the main acts. Darren must leave his family to live with Crepsley and his band of freaks while his best friend Steve (Josh Hutcherson) is being courted by a group of evil vampires.

Before seeing this film, you need to know that much of it is a set-up for future movies in the series. There are a lot of characters introduced, though few are given a big storyline. Having briefly talked to some people who have read the books, I understand that the many different freaks have their own stories coming up, which I look forward to if the film does well.

John C. Reilly is the real glue that holds this movie together. His performance sets the tone for the entire film: creepy yet tongue in cheek. “The Vampire’s Assistant” isn’t as much an attempt to be another horror/comedy film like “Zombieland” as it is a movie with teeth aimed at the teenage and tweenage crowd.

Don’t let the dreaded “tween” word scare you away. “The Vampire’s Assistant” has enough darkness and monster action to make it appealing to an older crowd and balance out the teen angst and coming-of-age feel. This isn’t just “Hannah Montana” with fangs. It’s a pretty solid interpretation of a what a good young adult novel should be: a story that teenagers can relate to that isn’t childish and also not a weighty grown-up book.

Having seen more than my fair share of the shows and made-for-TV movies on the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, I respect “The Vampire’s Assistant” for delivering something that fits in that market but also works as a creepy Halloween movie. Like I said, it has the atmosphere of a family-friendly haunted house, and it’s something you can see with your kids.

The bottom line is that “The Vampire’s Assistant” beats the pants off of “Twilight” as a cool teenage vampire movie, and I consider that to be totally awesome.

Aside for trying to have the longest name for a movie this year, “Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant” also has one of the coolest credit sequences I’ve seen all year. Sure, that doesn’t say anything about the plot or characters, but like the direct-to-DVD film “Trick ‘r Treat,” this movie really got me in the Halloween spirit. (And yes, the pun was intended.)

:wingit:
Nomad
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »

I can agree with this one, especially this part!

The supporting cast is top notch, and without expert ensemble acting by this troupe, The Vampire's Assistant would fall flat. Mr. Tiny (Michael Cerveris, TV's “Fringe”) and Murlaugh (Ray Stevenson, TV's “Rome”) reek of gleeful creepiness.

*imagines His Lordship reeking*  :devilish:  *inhales deeply of...whatever that is!* :dance:

http://www.palestineherald.com/local/local_story_309222441.html

:nomad:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: