Ray Stevenson Community
February 18, 2018, 11:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The finest of actors  (Read 19177 times)
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« on: March 16, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »

I may have mentioned once or twice how much I admire Ray SteVenson as an actor. He's outstanding [not to mention mightily handsome] and I have long sought to put my finger upon... well that too... but I mean to find a way to sum up his incredible talent and what it is that makes him stand out above the rest - to rise to the rank of finest of actors.

And today that word came to me: "terribilita"

It's nothing negative - not terrible! Michelangelo is described as having his 'terribilita' style in his sculptures and painting - this style evokes in a very real way strength, power, and awe. It can be "awesomeness of conception and execution' but I like best the phrase 'emotional impact' in his work.

I believe Ray has this talent on screen. I've clumsily likened it previously to his giving off a warmth; a temperature - because when I see him, the whole watching experience isn't just seeing and hearing him play his part; it's something much, much deeper. It's something in his mode of expression and it adds a dimension and depth that makes what he does something you can feel too. It touches you. In all the right places!

Oh I hope I'm explaining this well? It's something that I've wanted to say for a long time but didn't quite know how. Apologies if I'm being too vague but I feel sure that as we see more and more from him, my meaning will be more distinct. And it's also very fitting perhaps, that the word is both from the art world, and Italian  ;D

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »

I agree, Labia...he "emotes" so well and with his facial expressions and his eyes he doesn't need words to express himself.

The roles he is getting just don't bring out his real talent, cept maybe "The irishman" may do that when it comes to screen.

We don't have the pleasure of seeing him on TV here..BBCAmerica is crappy reality shows now. A&E used to bring British miniseries to their channel and they are reality shows now, too..same as Bravo.

Mob1 icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »

I have to say that just lately I've been watching an actor whom I've long admired for much more than his acting. He has many talents indeed but now I've seen him in this particular role, he's right up there on my Finest list. It's Hugh Laurie. I've only just discovered House! This programme is utterly superb - skilfully and brilliantly written and acted. I think I'm in love with Gregory House. It needs Dr Ray to complete it though  ;D

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »

Saw House again today - caught 2 episodes this evening! Hugh is BRILLIANT in this superb programme. I know Ray probably prefers to make movies nowadays but wouldn't it be fantastic if he could secure a role [the Lead, of course] in a long running series of this calibre?!

If I come across an old lamp and rub it thrice and a Thespian Genie appears and says "You are granted three wishes, luvvie dahling", I know this would be one wish used up straight away  ;D

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Nomad
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »

Hugh Laurie really IS brilliant, Labia.  Although well-known in the UK, he was not at all well-known in the States.  I watched several episodes of House, just KNOWING I had seen that actor before but unable to remember when or where.  At the time, I had no notion he was a Brit, his American accent is so good.  So it took me forever to realise...."OMG!  It's BERTIE WOOSTER!!!!!!"  And I hadn't seen that series in over 20 years!

He's a fabulous actor and deserves all the success (and $$$) he's now enjoying.  I think it's been hard on his family, though.  Apparently, because he feared the series wouldn't last too long, he delayed in moving his family to Los Angeles, where House is filmed.  I don't know if he's resolved that problem, but I hope he has.

An amusing story is that one of the cast or crew went to lunch with Laurie.  This cast (crew) member was amused by and complimented Laurie on his excellent British accent, never having suspected that it was the American accent that was the put-on!

Did I mention that Hugh Laurie is hawt?  Mmm.  He IS!

:nomad:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »

Hugh Laurie really IS brilliant, Labia.  Although well-known in the UK, he was not at all well-known in the States.  I watched several episodes of House, just KNOWING I had seen that actor before but unable to remember when or where.  At the time, I had no notion he was a Brit, his American accent is so good.  So it took me forever to realise...."OMG!  It's BERTIE WOOSTER!!!!!!"  And I hadn't seen that series in over 20 years!

He's a fabulous actor and deserves all the success (and $$$) he's now enjoying.  I think it's been hard on his family, though.  Apparently, because he feared the series wouldn't last too long, he delayed in moving his family to Los Angeles, where House is filmed.  I don't know if he's resolved that problem, but I hope he has.

An amusing story is that one of the cast or crew went to lunch with Laurie.  This cast (crew) member was amused by and complimented Laurie on his excellent British accent, never having suspected that it was the American accent that was the put-on!

Did I mention that Hugh Laurie is hawt?  Mmm.  He IS!

I think I first became interested in Hugh Laurie because he reminded me of someone I used to goof around *cough (flirt)* with.

Sadly, I don't have time to watch 'House' as I might like to. I do watch bits of that program...when passing through the room while it is playing.  :P

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »

I've been watching House again and was delighted that in the episode I saw, Hugh was wearing a leather jacket for riding his rather flash motorbike... the jacket was very much like the one Ray is wearing in a picture that I think Nomad posted a while ago.

Both Hugh and Ray look splendid.

*Slaps self for over use of the word splendid*

But it's such a splendid word  ::)

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 11:43:50 PM »

Labia, if you can get "Mad Men" on your side of the pond, you need to see it if only for the main charactor played by Jon Hamm.  He is the best thing I've seen since Rome went offair.

He plays a suave, debonair ad man in the 1960's. The whole cast is perfect and the show is great. I get a double dose of him in back to back eps when they air on Sunday nights in season. I am anxiously awaiting the return of the show most likely in the summer, end of it probably.

I rarely buy DVD's but I am going to add it to my collection of one other, Rome. 

Mob1 icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:01:34 AM »

Labia, if you can get "Mad Men" on your side of the pond, you need to see it if only for the main charactor played by Jon Hamm.  He is the best thing I've seen since Rome went offair.

He plays a suave, debonair ad man in the 1960's. The whole cast is perfect and the show is great. I get a double dose of him in back to back eps when they air on Sunday nights in season. I am anxiously awaiting the return of the show most likely in the summer, end of it probably.

I rarely buy DVD's but I am going to add it to my collection of one other, Rome. 

*Waves at MOB*

Ooh! I'll keep an eye open for Mad Men - thanks for the heads up  ;D

Hope you are feeling better every day Maryann *hugs*  - and hope everyone else is well too :grouphug:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

I saw the most excellent Hugh Laurie on telly twice today... once in Blackadder as the hilarious Prince Regent and then as my fave man* of the moment, Gregory House. He's SO brilliant!

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:

[*non Ray SteVenson man that is]

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

*Waves at MOB*

Ooh! I'll keep an eye open for Mad Men - thanks for the heads up  ;D

Hope you are feeling better every day Maryann *hugs*  - and hope everyone else is well too :grouphug:

Also hope mob and everyone else is well. :grouphug:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Nomad
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »

I saw the most excellent Hugh Laurie on telly twice today... once in Blackadder as the hilarious Prince Regent and then as my fave man* of the moment, Gregory House. He's SO brilliant!

Here you go, Labia.  Although the subject matter may make your tummy queasy, you can look forward to Hugh Laurie in a film:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017303.html?categoryId=15&cs=1&utm_source=Film+News+Briefs&utm_campaign=dfe0a000ba-WEDNESDAY_APRIL_7_20104_5_2010&utm_medium=email

Thesps will appear alongside Hugh Laurie, Catherine Keener and Leighton Meester in the movie about a man (Laurie) who begins an affair with the daughter (Meester) of the family who lives across the street.

Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »

Here you go, Labia.  Although the subject matter may make your tummy queasy, you can look forward to Hugh Laurie in a film:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017303.html?categoryId=15&cs=1&utm_source=Film+News+Briefs&utm_campaign=dfe0a000ba-WEDNESDAY_APRIL_7_20104_5_2010&utm_medium=email

Thesps will appear alongside Hugh Laurie, Catherine Keener and Leighton Meester in the movie about a man (Laurie) who begins an affair with the daughter (Meester) of the family who lives across the street.

Cheers Nomad - I'll be sure to look out for him - it  ;D

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »

Saw the delightful Hugh Laurie again today - in Jeeves and Wooster. Thoroughly enjoyed it - and him. He played the piano in one scene and sang a song with the line.. "Life can be delish with a sunny disposish!". I've been giggling to myself all day over it. Ray SteVenson has wonderful expression a-plenty but Hugh can give him a good run for his money  :clap:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »

:wave:

Just dipping in to say hi this late Friday evening. I'm snuggled up on my sofa with my cat. Everyone else has gone to bed so I have laptop on lap; warming drink at the ready and I'm laughing my knickers off at two of the very finest actors. The gorgeous Tony Curtis [such a sad loss yesterday] and the hysterically brilliant Jack Lemmon. Some Like it Hot. A real fave of mine. Brilliant!

Night all... back to film  :clap:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: