Ray Stevenson Community
February 19, 2018, 06:59:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GLADIATORS  (Read 6551 times)
Marianne

ALEA IACTA EST!

« on: April 17, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »

Something for inspiration...it is pitty such as men doesn´t born today! :hmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_CkJGqmzjM&feature=related

Markéta
Nomad
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:35:48 PM »

Thank you, Marianne!  That was very cool.  I'd like to see the rest of that program.

It is VERY likely that the Roman soldiers in that video are played by members of The Ermine Street Guard.  I believe I recognise a couple of the Roman Cavalry from a performance of theirs I saw near Hadrian's Wall in 2006.  They travel all over Europe, appearing at events near ancient Roman sites.

The Ermine Street Guard is the premiere Roman army re-enactment group in the world.  On the home page of their website, you may recognise the gentleman on the left of the screen from his many appearances in educational videos seen in places like Discovery and History Channels.  His name is Chris Haines and he is currently the leader of the Guard.

http://www.erminestreetguard.co.uk/

They're a great group of guys, exceedingly dedicated to authenticity in garb, kit and ritual and very happy to answer questions.  Some of them will even encourage you to touch. :shy:

:nomad:

P.S.  There are still men like that born today.  But they often end up in prison.  :cool2:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:27:05 PM by Nomad » Logged
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:21:27 AM »

Thank you, Marianne!  That was very cool.  I'd like to see the rest of that program.

It is VERY likely that the Roman soldiers in that video are played by members of The Ermine Street Guard.  I believe I recognise a couple of the Roman Cavalry from a performance of theirs I saw near Hadrian's Wall in 2006.  They travel all over Europe, appearing at events near ancient Roman sites.

The Ermine Street Guard is the premiere Roman army re-enactment group in the world.  On the home page of their website, you may recognise the gentleman on the left of the screen from his many appearances in educational videos seen in places like Discovery and History Channels.  His name is Chris Haines and he is currently the leader of the Guard.

They're a great group of guys, exceedingly dedicated to authenticity in garb, kit and ritual and very happy to answer questions.  Some of them will even encourage you to touch. :shy:

P.S.  There are still men like that born today.  But they often end up in prison.  :cool2:
I think a lot of them reincarnated to South Carolina where they are Civil War re-enactors... was once on a parade float behind a "regiment" of them and they take it verrry seriously... was afraid to talk lest the figure out I am a Yankee.

:wingit:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:02:03 AM »

You were on a parade float, Wing?  :popcorn:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »

Uh... I wasn't there for my looks... the parade entry was sponsored by a former employer and they needed volunteer employees to toss candy to the kids in the crowd. No beauty queen waving involved :)

:wingit:
Marianne

ALEA IACTA EST!

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »

Why do you think brave men must to be just in prison,Nomad? :)
I think they no exists or little,that´s all.I don´t think murders!
My former boyfriend was such as:brave,honest and very man,he did Greco-Roman wrestling style.I admired his strong and courage.Unfortunately he died during car crash accident! :( It is life however.

I met Romans and Gladiators,when I visited Rome.They are volunteers from many interest clubs,who love history and antique era! :beer:

Markéta
Nomad
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 09:30:18 PM »

When I think of gladiators, I think of men born with a propensity for violence.  Of course, they are also brave, or stupid, I'm not sure which!  In any case, societies had a use for such men in ancient times, but not so much now. 

My former boyfriend was such as:brave,honest and very man,he did Greco-Roman wrestling style.I admired his strong and courage.Unfortunately he died during car crash accident! :( It is life however.
Your boyfriend sounds lovely, Marianne; brave and strong, but not so much like a gladiator!.  How very sad he is lost to you. :(

Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »

I met Romans and Gladiators,when I visited Rome.They are volunteers from many interest clubs,who love history and antique era! :beer:

Awww Marianne - my condolences about your boyfriend.

Lovely to hear you have been to Rome though - it's a fantastic place isn't it  :loveys:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »

I think a lot of them reincarnated to South Carolina where they are Civil War re-enactors... was once on a parade float behind a "regiment" of them and they take it verrry seriously... was afraid to talk lest the figure out I am a Yankee.

Ahhh yes, I agree they take it all very seriously [yet methinks big as well as little boys love to play soldiers  :D ].

... I recall a beautiful English summer's day and a boat trip with hubby and tiny toddler daughter, drifting dreamily along the River Avon, pointing out bullrushes and dragonflies and ducks and swans to a delighted little girl... only to have it spoilt by the Sealed Knot re-enacting some Civil War battle complete with cannon fire etc etc.,  which made daughter scream the rest of the trip [she's never liked the sound of fireworks either]. We saw them later [once foamy earplugs had been hastily purchased from a chemists] and those fellas were in their element!

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »

Uh... I wasn't there for my looks... the parade entry was sponsored by a former employer and they needed volunteer employees to toss candy to the kids in the crowd. No beauty queen waving involved :)

Wing -- I think it's more commendable to volunteer to give candy to kids than to promote one's ability to keep a crown on one's head while waving on a float.

Maybe kids' parents (especially the dads) might disagree with me, but kids' dentists probably would agree.  ;D

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »

Sorry for your loss, Marianne.

Marianne

ALEA IACTA EST!

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 10:59:40 PM »

Thank you for your condolences,my dear friends! :hypocrite:
It is very kind from you!

Rome is very lovely city Labia,you´ve truth!There is many historical missions!I love this place!And counrtyside too...lambs are pastureing,trees are blossoming! :)

Markéta
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »

Awww Marianne - my condolences about your boyfriend.

Lovely to hear you have been to Rome though - it's a fantastic place isn't it  :loveys:

Blimey. My condolences as well, Marianne.  :worry-rose:

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Marianne

ALEA IACTA EST!

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:46:31 PM »

Thank you you are very kind! :calimero:

Markéta
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: