Ray Stevenson Community
February 20, 2018, 06:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Kill the Irishman  (Read 29537 times)
DoRaMe
Newbie.

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »

Thanks for the update! :cheers:

Any news about a US release date??
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »

Yes, thanks for the update. This is dragging a bit now, isn't it?! Bring on the film soon PLEASE! *Methinks it's not the first time I've been gagging for Ray  :ray:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »

Yes, thanks for the update. This is dragging a bit now, isn't it?! Bring on the film soon PLEASE! *Methinks it's not the first time I've been gagging for Ray  :ray:

You have that same gagging reflex, too, Labia?  :yucky:

HI DoRaeMe, glad to see you around again. I think the relesase date is the same, around March 2011....hopefully   :pray:

Mob1 icon
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »

You have that same gagging reflex, too, Labia?  :yucky:

I sadly can attest.

*legs it*

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »

ohhhhhhh, as long as it sees the light of day! Whether in theaters or straight to video!

*bitchy* *tired and sleep-deprived for a couple of days now*

Sorry...errrr.....I suppose I should get to sleep soon. *hope I can* *grumble*

Thanks for the news, wing!  :cheers:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »

Found this blurb on Kill The Irishman still planning to being released..gives me some hope.

Lots of info on Anchor Bay Films and their plans.

About Anchor Bay Films
Anchor Bay Films is unique in that it offers the creative community a fully integrated distribution capability on all platforms and an international solution extending beyond the U.S. Anchor Bay Films is a division of Anchor Bay Entertainment and is on the ground providing quality distribution with operations in the U.S., United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, as well as distribution capabilities in other key territories. The company focuses on a platform release strategy for its films with an eye toward maximizing their potential across all ancillary distribution platforms. The company recently released the critically acclaimed comedy City Island starring Andy Garcia and Solitary Man starring Michael Douglas. Upcoming releases include Kill the Irishman starring Ray Stevenson, Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer and Vincent d'Onofrio, Meet Monica Velour with Kim Cattrall and Toronto International Film Festival award-winner Beautiful Boy with Michael Sheen and Maria Bello. Anchor Bay Entertainment is a subsidiary of Starz Media, LLC (www.starzmedia.com <www.starzmedia.com> ) which is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation attributed to the Liberty Capital Group. Effective September 30, 2010, Starz Media will be attributed to the Liberty Starz tracking stock group.

Read more: http://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/Anchor_Bay_Films_to_Release_Unrated_Remake_Of_I_SPIT_ON_YOUR_GRAVE_108_20100922#ixzz10QNkWQ5i

http://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/Anchor_Bay_Films_to_Release_Unrated_Remake_Of_I_SPIT_ON_YOUR_GRAVE_108_20100922

Mob1 icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »

Found this blurb on Kill The Irishman still planning to being released..gives me some hope.

Lots of info on Anchor Bay Films and their plans.

About Anchor Bay Films
Anchor Bay Films is unique in that it offers the creative community a fully integrated distribution capability on all platforms and an international solution extending beyond the U.S. Anchor Bay Films is a division of Anchor Bay Entertainment and is on the ground providing quality distribution with operations in the U.S., United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, as well as distribution capabilities in other key territories. The company focuses on a platform release strategy for its films with an eye toward maximizing their potential across all ancillary distribution platforms. The company recently released the critically acclaimed comedy City Island starring Andy Garcia and Solitary Man starring Michael Douglas. Upcoming releases include Kill the Irishman starring Ray Stevenson, Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer and Vincent d'Onofrio, Meet Monica Velour with Kim Cattrall and Toronto International Film Festival award-winner Beautiful Boy with Michael Sheen and Maria Bello. Anchor Bay Entertainment is a subsidiary of Starz Media, LLC (www.starzmedia.com <www.starzmedia.com> ) which is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation attributed to the Liberty Capital Group. Effective September 30, 2010, Starz Media will be attributed to the Liberty Starz tracking stock group.

Read more: http://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/Anchor_Bay_Films_to_Release_Unrated_Remake_Of_I_SPIT_ON_YOUR_GRAVE_108_20100922#ixzz10QNkWQ5i

http://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/Anchor_Bay_Films_to_Release_Unrated_Remake_Of_I_SPIT_ON_YOUR_GRAVE_108_20100922

Thanks, MOB. Hope indeedy   :clap:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »

http://www.tbrnews.com/articles/2010/10/06/stepping_out/step1.txt

Gangster Filmmaking
by Michael Hixon
(Updated: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:10 PM PDT)

Embezzlement, racketeering, mob enforcer, suspected killer … it’s no wonder Irish-American mobster Danny Greene was blown to bits by a car bomb on Oct. 6, 1977. But with gangsters from Chicago to New York making headlines for decades, the vast criminal enterprises in Ohio, in which Greene was instrumental until his death, have garnered few national headlines over the years.

As a student at Ohio State University, Manhattan Beach resident Tommy Reid, who grew up in north New Jersey, had heard stories about the nearly mythic figure of Greene from his friend who grew up in Cleveland. Back in 1995, when the Internet wasn’t a dominant source for research, Reid found little information about Greene. After he graduated and moved to L.A., he heard Greene was going to be a subject of a book. He hunted down its author, Rick Porrello, and eventually optioned the book, “To Kill the Irishman: The War that Crippled the Mafia,” in 1997.

After a long and winding road, two films that Reid produced about Greene will be released early next year. One is a documentary, “Danny Greene: The Rise and Fall of the Irishman,” and the other a feature film, “Kill the Irishman,” starring Ray Stevenson (HBO’s “Rome”), Christopher Walken, Vincent D’Onofrio, Val Kilmer, Paul Sorvino and Linda Cardellini. Anchor Bay, a division of Starz Media, is planning to release the film in North America, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand in early 2011.

While struggling to come up with funds for the feature film for 10 years, Reid said he became so specialized in his life history during his research that he tackled the documentary. He already had a screenplay that he had hired a writer (Jeremy Walters) to adapt the book into a feature, but the documentary seemed the best option in the hopes of bringing to light his aspirations in making a feature film.
‘Kill the Irishman’ will be released in March 2011, just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

“I had over 18 hours of interviews from all of these prominent figures that have had relationships with Danny Greene, his wife, a cop who went against him, the attorney who represented the mafia, a hitman who went after him, I had access to all of these guys and they were aging. Even since I made the documentary, a couple of the people have already passed away from natural causes. So Danny Greene was becoming an urban legend will in Cleveland.”

But the script began circulating and “got to the top shelf of Hollywood.” A “bankable” director, lead and supporting cast were attracted and Reid partnered with Code Entertainment. “Kill the Irishman” was filmed last year in Detroit, doubling for Cleveland, in an effort to get 40 percent in tax incentives.

Reid was still shooting his documentary when “Kill the Irishman” started filming in Detroit last year. The main challenge was raising money for post-production in order to get the highest quality facility to reach his vision. By putting production costs on a credit card and with the help of family money and a couple of private investors, one being Hermosa Beach resident William Fletcher, that project was finished. He said there are three different perspectives in the documentary - the Irish, Italian and the government side of the story. The other challenge was creating a compelling narrative so audiences would sit through an hour documentary on the life of a little-known figure. But Reid feels that Greene’s life story is compelling enough for two films.

According to Reid, “Kill the Irishman” chronicles the rise and fall of Greene, who muscled in on the Italian mob in 1970s Cleveland and set off a turf war that ravaged the streets of Cleveland and led to the collapse of the Mafia in a number of U.S. cities, including Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit and Los Angeles.

Greene, a former Marine, rose to prominence in the early 1960s in the International Longshoreman’s Association. Kicked out for embezzling union funds, he soon became a henchman for mobsters like Alex “Shondor” Birns, who had his own rap sheet of extortion, murder and more. After a money dispute, Birns reportedly put a hit on Greene and had a bomb planted in his car, but he discovered it before it took his life. Soon after, Greene, who survived numerous assassination attempts, was suspected of planting a bomb in Birns’ car, killing him. A few years later, Teamster official John Nardi, an associate of Greene’s, was blown up, followed a few months later by Greene, after a dentist appointment in Lyndhurst, Ohio. The Cleveland Mafia, who had conflicts for many years with Greene, was reportedly responsible for the deaths.

“When you hear something about Ohio and Cleveland … why would they have the mafia there?” Reid said. “You find out that Cleveland is such a big hub for the boats coming out of the Great Lakes, down through the distribution centers of the Mississippi and all the way through all the other distribution and out to the west from Ohio … there’s lot of cargo coming off these big ships.”

Reid added, “It’s not just Cleveland. It’s Youngstown, Toledo, which leads you into Detroit. Those four cities, that’s a wide area of mafia. That’s equivalent of what you would think of the New York crime families, all the families that had their hands into organized crime. Cleveland was an area that never really got as much exposure as the eastern cities did, Boston and New York.”

With his vast criminal past, Reid said one thing he was surprised about when it came to the contradictory life of Greene was this almost Robin Hood-type figure and how much he “would extract just to give back.”

“He would take the money he would make ... and he would give it out to his neighborhood,” Reid said. “He would pay for kid’s braces that needed dental work. He would buy groceries for struggling families that couldn’t put food on the table.”

“Strike” and “Screwball”

Reid graduated from Ohio State with a Bachelor of Science in Economics. His original goal was to be a stockbroker because he loves numbers, but then he went to the New York Film Academy, where he worked on more than 15 short films. In 1998, he started Dundee Entertainment.

Reid got his first taste of the film business with his debut film “Strike,” also known as “7-10 Split,” which took a humorous look at competitive bowling. The film starred his younger sister, Tara Reid, of “American Pie” fame. With her connections, she was able to open doors for him.

“She picked up phones and did certain things to help move the project forward,” he said, for not only “Strike” but “Irishman” as well.

“My sister embraced it and helps me out as much as she can,” he said.

His next comedic project is “Screwball: The Ted Whitfield Story,” a mockumentary on the world’s most prolific major league wiffle-ball player, Ted Whitfield, aka “The Wiffler,” and his attempt to break the WBL homerun record.

“We thought it would be a funny concept for a movie,” Reid said.

“Screwball” will be released Friday, Oct. 1, digitally on Warner Bros. Video on Demand and through Gravitas Ventures, out of El Segundo. It will also be available on iTunes movies and on DVD in January through Netflix and Blockbuster.

What’s next

Reid, who has lived in Manhattan Beach for more than six years and is a newlywed (his wife’s name is Dawn), already has plenty of projects in the works. He optioned the nonfiction book by Lars Anderson, “The All Americans,” the story of four soldiers who played in the Army-Navy football game in 1941 and then went to the battlefield together during World War II. He’s adapting the “torture” horror story “The Bad Room” as well as the prison hockey story “When We Were Wolves.”

:wingit:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-trailers/?g=c070e03b-80d8-44a4-a256-e53f564ae4ec+

Don't know if this clip is on Youtube.com yet

mob1
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »

As Bruno on Dancing with the Stars says......Fantastic!!!  This clip is great and shows that Ray is going to get a chance to show what a great actor he is... :crush:

Thanks Wing  :clap:

Mob1 icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »

Great interview - thanks Wing  :snog:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »

There is an article today
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/afm/afm-news/lightning-strikes-major-territory-deals-on-kill-the-irishman/5020282.article

Lightning strikes major territory deals on Kill The irishman

Lightning Entertainment has announced major territory deals on its anticipated crime thriller Kill The Irishman (formerly The Irishman) starring Ray Stevenson.
Co-president Richard Guardian is in final talks with a US major to acquire German-speaking Europe, France, Spain, Benelux and Brazil and has closed deals with Anchor Bay Films for the UK, Australia and New Zealand – the company previously acquired US rights and will release in early 2011.

Rights have also gone to Scandinavia (Sandrew), Russia (Cinemax), Mexico (Cines En Pantalla), Middle East (Eagle), Turkey (Horizon), Poland (Monolith), the former Yugoslavia (Investa Commerce), Thailand (IPA), Romania (Prorom) and Israel (Independent). Soundspace acquired rights for Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Vietnam.

Jonathan Hensleigh’s 1970s-set film chronicles the true-life escapades of Irish-American gangster Danny Greene who took on the Mafia in Cleveland, Ohio. The film also stars Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer, Vicent D’Onofrio, Laura Ramsey, Fionulla Flanagan and Paul Sorvino.

Lightning’s AFM slate includes Golf In The Kingdom, based on the bestselling mystical golf book by Michael Murphy, co-founder the California non-profit New Age retreat the Esalen Institute.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:27:24 PM by wingit4me » Logged

Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »

There is an article today
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/afm/afm-news/lightning-strikes-major-territory-deals-on-kill-the-irishman/5020282.article

Lightning strikes major territory deals on Kill The irishman

Lightning Entertainment has announced major territory deals on its anticipated crime thriller Kill The Irishman (formerly The Irishman) starring Ray Stevenson.
Co-president Richard Guardian is in final talks with a US major to acquire German-speaking Europe, France, Spain, Benelux and Brazil and has closed deals with Anchor Bay Films for the UK, Australia and New Zealand – the company previously acquired US rights and will release in early 2011.

Rights have also gone to Scandinavia (Sandrew), Russia (Cinemax), Mexico (Cines En Pantalla), Middle East (Eagle), Turkey (Horizon), Poland (Monolith), the former Yugoslavia (Investa Commerce), Thailand (IPA), Romania (Prorom) and Israel (Independent). Soundspace acquired rights for Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Vietnam.

Jonathan Hensleigh’s 1970s-set film chronicles the true-life escapades of Irish-American gangster Danny Greene who took on the Mafia in Cleveland, Ohio. The film also stars Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer, Vicent D’Onofrio, Laura Ramsey, Fionulla Flanagan and Paul Sorvino.

Lightning’s AFM slate includes Golf In The Kingdom, based on the bestselling mystical golf book by Michael Murphy, co-founder the California non-profit New Age retreat the Esalen Institute.

Excellent. Thanks, wing! :wave:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »

Yippeee, cayee!!! Great news, thanks Wing!  :clap: :cheer: can't wait for the release  :squirm:

Mob1 icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 09:21:31 AM »

:dget: 

I don't understand how slowly the wheels are turning on this film, meself   :huh:

As long as it appears eventually, though  :)

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: