Ray Stevenson Community
February 21, 2018, 10:23:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Kill the Irishman  (Read 29569 times)
Ariantes

« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2011, 02:45:52 AM »

My DVD is on its way :)

Unfortunately Kill the Irishman will not appear on the big screen in Germany,
but will released on DVD tomorrow!
Which is much earlier than in the UK or the USA  :clap:

The german DVD is called "Bulletproof Gangster"

No idea why it is not called Kill the Irishman  :think:

But I really don't care about the title as long as Ray is in it and it is in english
to hear the real voice and not some stupid dubbing.

Can't wait for tomorrow  :drule:
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2011, 01:11:08 AM »

But I really don't care about the title as long as Ray is in it and it is in english

Did he / it live up to expectations?!

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »

http://www.michiganmoviemagazine.biz/component/content/article/60-sidebar/266-ray-stevenson-investing-in-character.html

Premiering across the nation in March 2011 was
the long awaited Kill the Irishman.  Filmed in Detroit in 2009, it stars Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer, and  Vincent D’Onofrio. This all star cast was lead by the character, Danny Greene, played by Ray Stevenson.

MMM caught up with Ray and he took some time to tell us how he got started and what he has in store for the future.

MMM - After seeing a performance by John Malkovich in the play Burn This, you were further inspired to go ahead with a career in acting. What led up to this and what was it about that performance that reignited your passion to act?

RS - Growing up first in Northern Ireland, and the Northeast of England, we weren’t the family that went to the theater [or] had cultural outings… My theater going experience was virtually nil even though something was driving me to investigate and pursue acting.

When I was in London, I had a career as an interior special designer in an architectural company. I thought my alter ego was wanting to be this ‘performer’, so basically I would go out and feed the beast, as it were… The more it grew, I would try and go see bits of theater. At that time, I was questioning the whole validity of this strange desire and the profession because I had no reference to it.

Whether it was Malkovich’s singular performance, or Juliette Stevenson, or the directors, or the production, or where I was at that time in my life… I remember I had bought a ten pound ticket, there were no seats, but I stood at the back of the stalls… and still the production hit me. My biggest impression was… this validity that I was struck with; I then knew that the profession had a value that I wasn’t aware of.

MMM - Already being an accomplished artist in interior design, though a late bloomer to acting, you graduated from the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School at twenty-nine. What personal challenges did it take to launch your career?

RS - It was a process of seeing more... I was working; I had some spare money and rather than go down to the pub or something, I might nip off to the cinema or a play. Whether I like it or not it didn’t matter, I was just making myself aware.

During this period, I was house sharing in London; an Australian actor came to stay because he was looking for representation there. One night… (and bear in mind I hadn’t told anybody about this)… I blurted it out.  ‘I don’t know where it came from! What the hell was I going to do? What the hell was it all about?’
He helped by saying, ‘You’ve got to go do an evening school just two nights a week. See what it’s like with a bon-a-fide school with actors and directors who are in the business... It’s not just about whether you’re having fun or whether people like it - this is a serious consideration.’

I got into a theater school evening classes in North London… it scared the living daylights out of me. I extended to three nights a week over a year and a half. I actually left my job to start to read more and see more… I got through [school] and it changed my life.

MMM -  Have you ever used your interior design skills to help on set?

RS - Every time I go to work, it’s this weird sort of concept... Basically you’re there with other actors or you’re in an empty space, then you have to inhabit that world… People in puffer jackets and clipboards and lights and cameras and that… you have to play the scene as if they don’t exist. In a weird sort of way, [it’s like] staring at a blank piece of paper.

In interior design, spatial design, what I was doing, it’s a bit like interior architecture. We had to change the internal space and literally walk around spaces in our mind first and imagine what it felt like… so in a weird sort of way im still walking on a blank piece of paper.
You invest in the things around you; you know they’re props, but when you leave the room in a scene, as though you’ve gone to another room or outside, that place is as real as the place [you left]. That sort of sensory perception is what you carry with you. You really are investing in this world, as you invest in the character and the other [characters] around you. So in that way, hopefully, the truth of the story will come out.

MMM - Being born in Northern Ireland and having some Gaelic roots from your mother, it seems you are also an Irishman - Was this connection the reason you chose the role of Danny Greene?

RS - No it wasn’t; the fact is that being born in Northern Ireland, unfortunately, the Irish or the area folk, don’t recognize you as Irish, you’re British to them. Then again, Danny Greene was like third generation Irish-American; he never stepped foot in Ireland but something struck a chord with him... but it’s not under the label of any sort of modern political or religious beliefs, it’s a much older thing, and its real and that resonates.

MMM -  Did you know the story of Danny Greene prior to the script?

RS - When Jonathan Hensley called me up, I was busy shooting Book of Eli down in New Mexico, and he told me the story, and I went, ‘Uh, really?’ because it scared the life out of me playing a live character and all this.

[When] I read the script I thought some of it is familiar… Years prior, I caught two-thirds of a documentary, which I believe was [on] Irish-American Mobsters. So images from that documentary started coming in and here was the story in front of me! Jonathon’s script was amazing, and he was very persuasive - I think the world of him and his films. I said, ‘Yeah, let’s take a leap and go for it.’

MMM -  Artistically, what did it take to bring Danny Greene back to life?

RS - We’re not making a documentary… its finding some way of playing the truth of the story and the journey in a dramatic way, and it’s a great slice of Americana. I love the chance of being a chameleon-like actor in various jobs and this one was a chance to really go for it. It meant shaving my head bald and putting a wig on every day, with the big sideburns and the big ‘stache.

MMM -  How was it working with Val Kilmer, Vincent Di Onofrio, and the legendary Christopher Walken?
RS - Oh my god - well you could imagine, you have to pinch yourself, it’s like the greatest compliment. These guys… they bring this character that they’re playing, and when they look at you, they are looking at Danny Greene, and talking to Danny Greene. Your job as an actor is to be the best supporting actor to anybody around you, so Danny Greene would talk right back at them. Then the sparks would come.
Someone like Christopher Walken - that voice and those eyes - you know it’s just class. It was a real privilege to step on the floor with these guys. Vincent was just blistering, amazing, and Val Kilmer was really a great guy to work with. Everybody was focused on the strength of Jonathon’s script; it wasn’t a huge flagpole movie with the big studio effects. The caliber of these guys came on and stepped up to the plate because of this incredible script. Nobody was treading water - everybody was committed to it.

MMM- You have filmed in many locations in Europe and America. Is the filmmaking process different, respectively?

RS - You know honestly it’s not, almost any crew you go to will have an international dent. There’ll be a French costume designer, a German lighting grips person, or a couple of Brits as AD’s or whatever. It’s such a collaborative business; a collection of maybe well, gypsies that make this crazy thing work - this is the greatest joy. It’s not secular like that, like you’re going to work with the Texans now or the Canadians now, and I think that helps it.

You know the business beats you up when you’re working, but it’s an absolute joy to get beaten up that way. It takes a certain personality to get up fourteen hours a day in the mud and the rain and the crap and still have that great joy of delivering. It’s a special little bubble you create for the period of the film.

MMM -  Did you enjoy your time filming in Michigan?

RS - I really did; Michigan blew me away on many levels. Everything from locations, houses, lakes, and also the music; it’s an incredibly special place… and there across the water is Windsor. [Detroit] has its own problems, but it’s got its own spirit and its own greatness.

MMM -  In addition to Kill The Irishman, you have some big hitters coming to the silver screen such as The Three Musketeers and Thor...
RS - Right; we’ve decided to try and see if we can get a range of work, and its very fortunate. Now behind me, I’ve got The Other Guys, The Book of Eli, The Punisher: War Zone, and Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant, and now these three coming ahead.

Its kicking off with Kill the Irishman and now is the time… it’s about profile raising. Hopefully they can see a breadth of work because I’m effectively building a movie career in my forties which is kind of breaking a glass ceiling there… and it’s working out.

It’s a cliché to say, but I literally am very, very aware that I am seriously living my dream. You do have to stop and smell the flowers and pinch yourself and be thankful that [you’ve] been given this chance. I’ve met some wonderful people.

I was once asked when I was in Rome, ‘Do you think this is holding your career back?’ and I said, ‘You got it wrong - it doesn’t get better than this; it just gets different.’ You know, every day I go to film, I’m filming on 35mm with great actors, I’m going to work as an actor.

MMM -  Any final thoughts for our readers?

RS - Say a  big thank you to the state of Michigan - I was made to feel very welcome and I know the production was supported amazingly well. They made it a really good experience. I hope it encourages many film makers to go to Michigan and use that amazing space.

:wingit:
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »

What an amazing interview!  Thanks, wing.  I enjoyed his analogy of inhabiting a scene's space to imagining a space through interior decorating.  Great stuff.

:brit:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:10:55 PM by britmys » Logged

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
Ariantes

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 01:05:48 PM »

Did he / it live up to expectations?!

Oh yes, goood movie.

I like it, the movie, not the hair ;)
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »

What a great interview! Best I have heard Ray do. It's usually about a movie and that mov'es protaganist, but this was about him and his life and hopes and dreams. I loved it and Ray, too...I hope he gets better and better roles in the future and maybe he will stop in and support those of us that support him diligently...eh, Ray, How bout a note or somethin..or a shout out to your loyal fans at RS.com!!  :yahoo: :cheer2: :clap: :crush: :lips: :ray: :wave:

Mob1 icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »

What a great interview! Best I have heard Ray do. It's usually about a movie and that mov'es protaganist, but this was about him and his life and hopes and dreams. I loved it and Ray, too...I hope he gets better and better roles in the future and maybe he will stop in and support those of us that support him diligently...eh, Ray, How bout a note or somethin..or a shout out to your loyal fans at RS.com!!  :yahoo: :cheer2: :clap: :crush: :lips: :ray: :wave:

Hear hear!   :clap:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »

I love the way Walken's hat flies off.  ;D
Also, prize to person who sorts out what's wrong with the car (besides the obvious).

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »

I feel slightly sick watching this clip go round and round and round   :silly:

Hmmm. My guess is there's an oval thingammybob on the side roof of the car wot ain't there when the hat goes flying?!

Have I won a prize? Let me guess. Is it only being persona non grata for another year instead of a decade? THAT would certainly be better continuity than the clip!  :razz: :grinny:

Ooops! My pork chops with roasted onion are calling from the oven... byeeee  :wave:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »

Hmmm. My guess is there's an oval thingammybob on the side roof of the car wot ain't there when the hat goes flying?!

Have I won a prize? Let me guess. Is it only being persona non grata for another year instead of a decade? THAT would certainly be better continuity than the clip!  :razz: :grinny:

Ooops! My pork chops with roasted onion are calling from the oven... byeeee  :wave:
huh?

wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »

I love the way Walken's hat flies off.  ;D
Also, prize to person who sorts out what's wrong with the car (besides the obvious).

The car he sticks the key into has an oval window in the back, the car that blows up doesn't, see subsequent post for more detail on how they are not the same model of car.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:04:01 PM by wingit4me » Logged

wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

This car goes boom it is a Fleetwood

This car get a key stuck into it, it is a Lincoln Town car
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:02:59 PM by wingit4me » Logged

wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »

huh?
Oh yeah I have seen the kind of prize Titus gives....  :o

TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »

Now do be kind.  Everybody has been inadvertently persona non grata for about a year.  (I left a very brief explanation in SCE.)  I hope to return to chatting a bit soon.

You are correct!  I owe you and wing and maybe a few others a prize.  Now I've just got to sort out what the bloody hell that is.  (Wing, don't give me any ideas.)  >:D

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2011, 03:54:04 PM »

Now do be kind.  Everybody has been inadvertently persona non grata for about a year.  (I left a very brief explanation in SCE.)  I hope to return to chatting a bit soon.

You are correct!  I owe you and wing and maybe a few others a prize.  Now I've just got to sort out what the bloody hell that is.  (Wing, don't give me any ideas.)  >:D
SCE?? :think:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:29:48 PM by wingit4me » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: