Ray Stevenson Community
February 18, 2018, 03:19:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Band of Gold (mini-series)  (Read 16737 times)
InsolentWretch

« on: July 09, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »

Somebody please just tell me who killed his wife! :huh:

Avast ye, Roman Soldier!
Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 11:06:16 PM »

An aside - I watched Gladiator last night and noticed that David Schofield, who was the cop who arrests Ray, was in it as Senator Falco.

Somebody please just tell me who killed his wife! :huh:

Since Band of Gold is available in the UK, I'll treat this as a spoiler in case someone plans on renting it. Anyone who WANTS to know, highlight the text at the end of the dots:

It was a john that she and the other gal stole money from.

"Yaaaay, yaaaay... yaaa-... (Vorenus glares) ...-aaay, yaaaay!!"
InsolentWretch

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:18:08 PM »

Thank you Lotis!   :)

Avast ye, Roman Soldier!
Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:43:16 PM »

Hey New Release!

Band of Gold is now available on DVD to fans in the US!

Band of Gold:
The Complete First Series

Koch Vision, Unrated
MSRP: $29.98

From Britain's Granada Television comes the 1995 series, Band of Gold, a six-part look at prostitutes and murder in the northern Yorkshire town of Bradford, England.

Synopsis: Gina Dixon (Ruth Gemmell) is a young mother of three who is rapidly spiraling downward, both financially and emotionally. After evicting her physically abusive husband, Steve (Ray Stevenson), Gina is finding it impossible to meet the monthly payments of the loan she took out from loan shark, Mr. Moore (Philip Martin Brown). Unable to make enough money selling makeup, and unable to get help from her overwhelmed mother, Joyce (Rachel Davies), Gina turns to prostitute Carol (Cathy Tyson) for help. During her first week on the streets, she meets tough veteran Rose (Geraldine James), 15-year-old Tracy (Samantha Morton), and Anita (Barbara Dickson), who runs a brothel for the other prostitutes. Unfortunately, naive Gina, who wants to work only long enough to pay off her debt, doesn't listen to Carol who tells her not to get into any cars with prospective customers. In a shocking conclusion to Episode 1, Gina is brutally murdered, and dumped on the Yorkshire moors, setting the stage for further killings until the climactic ending when the women must take not only justice, but direction of their lives, into their own hands.

Overstock.com has it for $19.86!
Amazon.com has it for $26.99

InsolentWretch

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:13:15 PM »

Thank you Lotis!  ;D

Avast ye, Roman Soldier!
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »

Thanks, Lotis! I may even order this. Ray in a mustache??? As long as he has a decent-sized part. *cough* Acting part, that is.

I have not ordered King Arthur coz he's not in it very much...and I'm not sure he is in the DVD "extras" for more than a glimpse.

I wish City Central was available in the US!!!!! I know Ray was a regular in that. I'd order that even though Ray had his hair permed for some of that series.

Hey...I'm not TOO superficial.

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 08:55:49 PM »

The series focuses on the lives of the prostitutes, but Ray is in it a fair amount of it, more than evident from the clips in the video gallery. It begins after Gina's kicked Steve (Ray) out but they have a couple of kids so they still have to see each other and sort out money issues. Then he becomes a suspect in her murder and attempts to find out what happened on his own, and has to deal with her mother who helps with the kids after Gina's killed.

meen
Newbie.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 10:12:55 AM »

He has his hair permed? :hmm:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:52:19 PM »

Noticed last week that "Band of Gold" is rentable on Netflix, so I ordered, and it came today.  Just finished watching episode 1.    EEK!

:wingit:
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 06:15:02 PM »

Noticed last week that "Band of Gold" is rentable on Netflix, so I ordered, and it came today.  Just finished watching episode 1.    EEK!

Okay, Wing.  I wanna know  ;D  What was the EEK! for?  Was it his hair?  :neen:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »

No  :lol:

I didn't really know the story before watching it.  The first episode follows the character Gina around as she tries to scrape by after  she has thrown out her husband for the last time. Thinks if she can just get her rent payment caught up she and her kids will be OK.  By happenstance she meets a woman who's daughter is buds with hers, and figures out that the other mom is making money as a prostitute.  Gina decides to try it long enough to get the rent covered.  It started out like she would be the main character, but then right at the end her dead body is found.  That was the EEK causer.

For the record, Ray has mustache, stubble, slicked hair (not permed), looks like he's about to cry in most of his scenes, so far... he's the husband who has been kicked out. 

wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:47:46 AM »

Watched parts 2 & 3

1) OOPS got it wrong, Gina was trying to pay off a loan shark, not the landlord
2) Ray's character has anger issues, and is still on the edge of crying in most scenes, but he is nice to his kids

Lotis
Administrator
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »

The series is primarily about the prostitutes that were his ex's friends but he is in later scenes as the loan shark she borrowed money from comes calling and his character also has to deal with his ex's mother. He also encounters some of the women when he decides to look into what happened to her.

Yes, his character is in serious need of anger management, though at the core he's not a bad guy.

britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »

Gosh, that plot sounds familiar.  :-\   Was it ever shown on U.S. TV?  It sounds like Ray's character was not too sympathetic, but merely pathetic  :neen:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
fuzzybunny

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 08:07:18 PM »

Gosh, that plot sounds familiar.  :-\   Was it ever shown on U.S. TV?  It sounds like Ray's character was not too sympathetic, but merely pathetic  :neen:

It actually was on US TV and it was PBS that ran it.  It was a long while back and my memory is vague, but my local PBS station made a big deal out of promoting it, so I actually remembered it.

:bunny: Fuzzy's icon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: