Ray Stevenson Community
February 22, 2018, 12:05:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 4654 times)
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« on: August 06, 2010, 03:07:30 PM »

When I saw Other Guys: Early afternoon August 6, 2010

Where: the local  kind of older but well-maintained suburban multi-plex

Number in the audience  About 35

Composition of the audience: one mom with some Jr High age kids, but mostly older folks, lots of retirees where I live. I took my 82 year old mother and she loved it.

Audience reactions:  Lots of laughs. Two of Ray’s lines got big laughs, even though he played it straight. At the end the entire audience sat through the closing credits. 

What I liked:      Ray of course :)  He keeps popping up more times than I expected.  Mom liked Mark Wahlburg.  Liked the irony of this plot line about greed and money schemes being preceded by the ad for "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps".

What I didn't like:   death and bullets (this is the second action/comedy I have seen this summer where there is lots of gun fire but no one seems to get shot in the hail of bullets)

Biggest disappointment:  At the end Ice-T does a voice over narration of what happened to all the main characters.  The ending for Ray’s could have been a lot funnier. Mom was disappointed that she didn’t get a better view of Derek Jeter, whom she used to watch play in spring training games in Florida and finds “verrrry attractive”.

Conclusion: Some reviewers said that some of the jokes don’t work but I have to say it must depend on the audience because the one I was in seemed to get all of them.  I would have seen this even if Ray were not in it.

:wingit:
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »

Thanks Wing!! bang up job on the review. Sounds like one I want to see sooner than later. Maybe I can drag the brother with me to see it this weekend. He likes Will a lot.

Was Derek Jeter in the movie?

:cheers:

Mob1 icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:00:42 AM »

When I saw Other Guys: Early afternoon August 6, 2010

Where: the local  kind of older but well-maintained suburban multi-plex

Number in the audience  About 35

Composition of the audience: one mom with some Jr High age kids, but mostly older folks, lots of retirees where I live. I took my 82 year old mother and she loved it.

Audience reactions:  Lots of laughs. Two of Ray’s lines got big laughs, even though he played it straight. At the end the entire audience sat through the closing credits. 

What I liked:      Ray of course :)  He keeps popping up more times than I expected.  Mom liked Mark Wahlburg.  Liked the irony of this plot line about greed and money schemes being preceded by the ad for "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps".

What I didn't like:   death and bullets (this is the second action/comedy I have seen this summer where there is lots of gun fire but no one seems to get shot in the hail of bullets)

Biggest disappointment:  At the end Ice-T does a voice over narration of what happened to all the main characters.  The ending for Ray’s could have been a lot funnier. Mom was disappointed that she didn’t get a better view of Derek Jeter, whom she used to watch play in spring training games in Florida and finds “verrrry attractive”.

Conclusion: Some reviewers said that some of the jokes don’t work but I have to say it must depend on the audience because the one I was in seemed to get all of them.  I would have seen this even if Ray were not in it.

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:

Oooof! Thanks for the review Wing *wants to see this film veeery muchly too*

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »

Thanks very much for the detailed and amusing review, wing!  :clap:

Maybe I can drag Mr. C to see this, as I have told him that I think Eva Mendes is very attractive.  :)  :hypocrite:

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »

Maybe I can drag Mr. C to see this, as I have told him that I think Eva Mendes is very attractive.  :)  :hypocrite:

Thanks Cam, I wrote my "reviews" so as not to give away any of the plot.  I thought that Eva M. did a very good job. She gets to sing a bit and it sounded like she sings one of the songs during the closing.

Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:26:31 AM »

Thanks Cam, I wrote my "reviews" so as not to give away any of the plot.  I thought that Eva M. did a very good job. She gets to sing a bit and it sounded like she sings one of the songs during the closing.

Ooh. Good for her. Looks like I backed the right horse....errr...girl crush....errrr...Good for Eva!
 :clap: Hey! I just heard a little sound byte of Eva on the Howard Stern show when she was interviewed at the premiere!

Ack. I meant to write a few replies. Keep getting pulled way to do various things. Including trying to prepare lunch right now. Back later.

Appreciate your effort, as always, wing.

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:35:38 AM »

Thanks Wing!! bang up job on the review. Sounds like one I want to see sooner than later. Maybe I can drag the brother with me to see it this weekend. He likes Will a lot.

I saw Derek Jeter in person, once. In the intimate confines of a ballpark.  ;D It was a small minor-league ballpark, though (he was coming back from an injury), and we had a pretty good seat to keep an eye on him. He is attractive, and of course a future Hall-of-Famer (if he doesn't do something atrocious to keep him out). He did a pretty good job on Saturday Night Live some years back.

Hope the film is successful and brings Ray more positive attention.  :)

wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »

Yes but be careful not to blink or you will miss him. He does say his name so it is hard to miss his scene.

Marianne

ALEA IACTA EST!

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »

I´ve already seen THE OTHER GUYS in  the cinema.The movie is crazy but Ray was so cool in. :D

Markéta
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »

At long, long last I can confirm I saw The Other Guys on DVD recently *coughjustafterchristmascough*.

There were a few merkin jokes that passed me by but on the whole it was certainly a giggle and I very much enjoyed it.

What can I say about Ray's part? Well bloody fantastic obviously. I also really loved him as Roger Wesley :giggly:

It was so nice to see him so handsome, so clean shaven, so short-haired but not buzz-cutted; and in clothes that didn't feature studs or leather in great abundance (apart from his shoes and belt, prolly). And he can still handle his weapon with great aplomb (as could I, given half a chance).

His performance was very convincing; lines delivered smoothly and he seemed to relish in the levity-light tone of the film and seemed to be having a ball. I was once again made to think of his time at RADA, though (Remedial Australian Dialogue & Accent classes). At times, his australian accent could be pinpointed to 30 miles from the capital. Trouble is, it wasn't the capital Sydney but Johannesburg *snork* but it didn't detract anything from his part for me. He was fab! In fact, I loved every minute he was on screen and when he said something about there were only three things he liked (loved?) and one was the dimples at the top of a woman's buttocks, I tittered with complete glee. Well you're in luck Roger my darling. You'd indeed love me to bits then. Just at the top? PAH! I've got dimples ALL over mine  :cheer:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:14:26 AM »

In fact, I loved every minute he was on screen and when he said something about there were only three things he liked (loved?) and one was the dimples at the top of a woman's buttocks, I tittered with complete glee. Well you're in luck Roger my darling. You'd indeed love me to bits then. Just at the top? PAH! I've got dimples ALL over mine  :cheer:
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: