Ray Stevenson Community
February 21, 2018, 10:17:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thor Reviews  (Read 6146 times)
bonny

« on: April 17, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

This website re-caps several reviews:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2011/04/17/thor_early_reviews_good_not_great_hemsworth_and_gods_better_than_earthlings/

Thor Early Reviews: Good not Great, Hemsworth and Gods Better than Earthlings
Paramount screened the first summer movie, Kenneth Branagh’s Thor (May 6), for junket press and critics. Here’s a sampling of early reviews, which largely agree that this is a good, not great comic-to-screen adaptation, Chris Hemsworth breaks out in the title role, and the film’s earth-bound sections are its weakest:

Variety:

Neither the star pupil nor the dunce of the Marvel superhero-to-screen class, “Thor” delivers the goods so long as butt is being kicked and family conflict is playing out in celestial dimensions, but is less thrilling during the Norse warrior god’s rather brief banishment on Earth. With Aussie hunk Chris Hemsworth impressive in the lead and helmer Kenneth Branagh investing the dramatic passages with a weighty yet never overbearing Shakespearean dimension, pic looks sure to reap big B.O. on the strength of its ready-made audience, but faces a tougher time attracting viewers for whom this type of fare is the exception rather than the rule.

The Hollywood Reporter reviewed from Sydney, Australia:

The Marvel universe moves into the cosmic realm with Thor, a burly slab of bombastic superhero entertainment that skitters just this side of kitschy to provide an introduction befitting the mighty god of thunder. It’s a noisy, universe-rattling spectacle full of sound and fury with a suitably epic design, solid digital effects and a healthy respect for the comic-book lore that turned a mythological Norse god into a founding member of the superhero team known as The Avengers.

Drew McWeeney of HitFix likes both the tone and world created by the film:

Chris Hemsworth, best known to audiences as Kirk’s father in that powerful opening scene to “Star Trek,” is just as good a fit for the character of Thor as Robert Downey Jr. is for Tony Stark, and that one thing goes a long way to making the film a pleasure to watch.  Finding the right way to introduce the character and his mythology is the big task this movie has, and there were some very interesting choices made in deciding how to bring Thor to life.  First, they dumped the notion of him changing into a human being, something that was part of the earliest version of the character that Marvel published.  Originally, Dr. Donald Blake had no idea he was Thor until a chance encounter with a cane he found in a cave revealed his true nature to himself.  In that version of the story, he had been sent to Earth by Odin to learn humility, and living his life as a human being in an infirm body was an important way of guaranteeing that he could not rely on his considerable physical power or his godly powers.

Jim Vejvoda of IGN:

Outside of these occasional moments of comic relief, director Kenneth Branagh keeps the focus squarely on Thor’s dramatic arc. The movie’s strongest moments aren’t necessarily the comic booky ones (although they are pretty cool), but rather the familial ones in Asgard. Thor’s scenes with Loki and Odin crackle with an intensity and emotion sometimes lacking in the earthly scenes. These moments feel like the ones that Branagh and his leads were the most emotionally invested in, and that sincerity helps you buy into this otherwise fantastical world, one which we see far more of than the marketing has heretofore revealed…Thor may not be a game-changer for comic book movies, but it’s a solidly entertaining one most noteworthy for taking what could have been utterly campy material and making it dramatic and relatable. There’s action and otherworldly elements to appease the core fans and possibly even win over some skeptics, and enough humor and humanity to engage general audiences.

Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing those reviews! Hope there are more reviews to come which have something positive to say, and hope this brings more positive attention to Mr. Stevenson.

:bead:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:39:39 PM by Camamar » Logged

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
bonny

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »

This isn't a review, it's even more important!  It's BOX OFFICE!

"Through today Thor 3D has grossed $3 million (U.S. dollars) in Australia, or 30% ahead of the first two days of the original Iron Man which did $2.3M. (Of course IM1 was only 2D so no higher 3D ticket prices.) It's a big start to Summer 2011 wih both the Marvel/Disney actioner distributed by Paramount, and Universal's Fast Five such huge hits in their opening week. Both movies opened earlier overseas than in U.S. due to the Easter holiday Down Under."

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/thor-bigger-than-iron-man-1-down-under/

With Thor 2 already in the works, and His Lordship already with a multi-picture deal with Marvel, it looks like a rosy future for RS!  :rock: :clap: :cheer: $$$
britmys
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »

This isn't a review, it's even more important!  It's BOX OFFICE!

"Through today Thor 3D has grossed $3 million (U.S. dollars) in Australia, or 30% ahead of the first two days of the original Iron Man which did $2.3M. (Of course IM1 was only 2D so no higher 3D ticket prices.) It's a big start to Summer 2011 wih both the Marvel/Disney actioner distributed by Paramount, and Universal's Fast Five such huge hits in their opening week. Both movies opened earlier overseas than in U.S. due to the Easter holiday Down Under."

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/thor-bigger-than-iron-man-1-down-under/

With Thor 2 already in the works, and His Lordship already with a multi-picture deal with Marvel, it looks like a rosy future for RS!  :rock: :clap: :cheer: $$$

YAY!  What excellent news for the project and Mr. Stevenson.

:brit:

"There are girls from Narbo to Thebes who cry my name at night"   Titus Pullo

Ooh, and I'm one of them :crush:
mob1
Rayspectable Fan

All for one, and one for all!!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »

Great news so far...YAY  :clap: thanks Bonny for posting them.

Mob1 icon
bonny

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

I haven't had the patience to watch this yet (it's 2 hours long) but I hear that His Rayness gives an adorable interview.

http://marvel.com/videos/watch/1825/thor_live_red_carpet_premiere
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »

I haven't had the patience to watch this yet (it's 2 hours long) but I hear that His Rayness gives an adorable interview.

http://marvel.com/videos/watch/1825/thor_live_red_carpet_premiere

Ok watching it... nothing happens in the first hour, about 1 hour 10 minutes you can glimpse Ray in the distance and you can see him off and on till the actual interview at about 1 hour 26 minutes through 1 hour 29 minutes (about a 2-minute interview) then as he moves down the line the camera moves around... there are interviews with other people too

:wingit:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-UjQj3jbwU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-UjQj3jbwU</a>

bonny

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »

Thanks, Wing!!!  That was great.   :cheers:
Ariantes

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »

Thank you Wing  :yahoo: :yahoo:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:07:29 AM »

Thanks, wing!  :D

:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

OK I have seen Thor and Kill the Irishman so I am caught up on my Ray viewing.

Saw "Thor" at the local mall multiplex at a matinee, where I had the option of seeing it in
     IMAX 3-D
     regular 3-D
     regular 2-D

I chose regular 2-D, but there were larger crowds in the other screening rooms.  I got so caught up in watching that I forgot to count how many scenes Ray is in, so that should tell you how enjoyable Thor is.

The audience was a mix of all ages, every thing from crying babies to retirees, but a preponderance of teens and twenty-somethings. Only about 1/4 of the crowd   stayed past the end of the credits to see the scene from "The Avengers"

Line that got the biggest laugh: Thor walks into a small earth pet store and demands  "I want a horse"

Ray's character Volstagg had several skills: he stacked a sandwich as high as a Jenga game, he is something of a stress-relief eater and he can eat really really fast, and when Thor's friends need to beg for something he is their spokesman.

Things I learned from  Ray's character: When you need to attack someone taller than yourself, get your best buddies to pick you up and hurl you at it (redshift will have to tell me if real Vikings did that). Also learned  the realm of Asgard must have turkey farms because Volstagg seems to munch a lot of turkey legs.

Probably the most enjoyable movie Ray has been in, so go see it.

bonny

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »

Thanks, Wing, for both the pic and the review.   :cheers:
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Would-You-See-A-Movie-Starring-Thors-Warriors-Three-121538189.html

THOR, MARVEL, WARRIORS THREE
Will "Thor's" Success Spin-Off "The Warriors Three"?

Thor’s closest (and toughest) pals are ready for more Asgard-kickin’ action – but would you line up for “The Warriors Three: The Movie?”
Actors Ray Stevenson (Volstagg the Valiant), Josh Dallas (Fandral the Dashing) and Tadanobu Asano (Hogun the Grim) - who steal their swashbuckling scenes in the current box office champ “Thor” – would be ready to take up arms again in their own solo big screen adventure...if the fans demand it.
“It'd certainly be pretty sweet," Dallas tells PopcornBiz. “Never assume anything, but yeah, the Warriors Three would have some good times, that's for sure. Anything is in the realm of possibility. It hasn't been mentioned that I know of, but you never know.”
“The more the fans clamor, the more chance there is,” agrees Stevenson. “There's an untold story of the love that is there with the Warriors Three – I don't know if people are ready for it,” he adds with a suggestive wink.
“You never know,” says Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who says his company is certainly looking at spinning out secondary characters in the tradition of the comic books if the audience interest is there. “What's fun to me about the Warriors Three is that people seem to like them. People like the way that they were presented in this movie, and their main note might be, 'I want to see more of them.' I think that for ‘Thor 2,’ if we should be so lucky, that there's an opportunity for that. But you never know.”
Dallas says the actors enjoyed slipping into wardrobe and makeup that turned them into doppelgangers of the original characters designed by Jack Kirby back in 1965, becoming virtually unrecognizable as themselves.
“Even when I was on set at the end of the day when I'd take all the makeup off – the wig and the beard – and I'd be on set with guys for 9-10 hours a day and I'd pass them and say, 'Hi, how are you doing,' and they'd be like, 'Who is that guy?'” laughs Dallas.
But Stevenson was far more fit and fiery in character as Volstagg than his comic book counterpart, who’s known for his enormous girth and even bigger appetites. “I thought I’d be waddling around, sitting down, having a sandwich, maybe a few libations, red wine,” says Stevenson. “No – big, double-headed, six-plated battle axe, waging war with the Frost Giants and then going head-to-head with The Destroyer.”
Stevenson, who has already doled out Marvel Comics-style vigilante justice as The Punisher in "The Punisher: War Zone," is open any number of offers from the company. “I love working with Marvel,” he says. “They're supremely loyal, supremely driven and they're their biggest fans – they're the geeks of their own work! As producers they're on set every day, and every note that they give is because of the love that they have for the characters. Never a negative note from Marvel: all to enhance, all to build. It's an inspiration to work for them.”

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Would-You-See-A-Movie-Starring-Thors-Warriors-Three-121538189.html#ixzz1LzmdCp32

Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Would-You-See-A-Movie-Starring-Thors-Warriors-Three-121538189.html

THOR, MARVEL, WARRIORS THREE
Will "Thor's" Success Spin-Off "The Warriors Three"?

Thor’s closest (and toughest) pals are ready for more Asgard-kickin’ action – but would you line up for “The Warriors Three: The Movie?”
Actors Ray Stevenson (Volstagg the Valiant), Josh Dallas (Fandral the Dashing) and Tadanobu Asano (Hogun the Grim) - who steal their swashbuckling scenes in the current box office champ “Thor” – would be ready to take up arms again in their own solo big screen adventure...if the fans demand it.
“It'd certainly be pretty sweet," Dallas tells PopcornBiz. “Never assume anything, but yeah, the Warriors Three would have some good times, that's for sure. Anything is in the realm of possibility. It hasn't been mentioned that I know of, but you never know.”
“The more the fans clamor, the more chance there is,” agrees Stevenson. “There's an untold story of the love that is there with the Warriors Three – I don't know if people are ready for it,” he adds with a suggestive wink.
“You never know,” says Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who says his company is certainly looking at spinning out secondary characters in the tradition of the comic books if the audience interest is there. “What's fun to me about the Warriors Three is that people seem to like them. People like the way that they were presented in this movie, and their main note might be, 'I want to see more of them.' I think that for ‘Thor 2,’ if we should be so lucky, that there's an opportunity for that. But you never know.”
Dallas says the actors enjoyed slipping into wardrobe and makeup that turned them into doppelgangers of the original characters designed by Jack Kirby back in 1965, becoming virtually unrecognizable as themselves.
“Even when I was on set at the end of the day when I'd take all the makeup off – the wig and the beard – and I'd be on set with guys for 9-10 hours a day and I'd pass them and say, 'Hi, how are you doing,' and they'd be like, 'Who is that guy?'” laughs Dallas.
But Stevenson was far more fit and fiery in character as Volstagg than his comic book counterpart, who’s known for his enormous girth and even bigger appetites. “I thought I’d be waddling around, sitting down, having a sandwich, maybe a few libations, red wine,” says Stevenson. “No – big, double-headed, six-plated battle axe, waging war with the Frost Giants and then going head-to-head with The Destroyer.”
Stevenson, who has already doled out Marvel Comics-style vigilante justice as The Punisher in "The Punisher: War Zone," is open any number of offers from the company. “I love working with Marvel,” he says. “They're supremely loyal, supremely driven and they're their biggest fans – they're the geeks of their own work! As producers they're on set every day, and every note that they give is because of the love that they have for the characters. Never a negative note from Marvel: all to enhance, all to build. It's an inspiration to work for them.”

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Would-You-See-A-Movie-Starring-Thors-Warriors-Three-121538189.html#ixzz1LzmdCp32

*Enjoys Ray's suggestive wink*

Hmm. Three Musketeers... Warriors Three... there is a pattern emerging here is there not..?

*Is on lookout for Ray's new role as Curly*   :lol:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: