Ray Stevenson Community
February 18, 2018, 11:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: • Official websites:    Thor - Visit    |  Divergent - Visit

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Tenth Anniversary, ROME  (Read 3975 times)
bonny

« on: August 28, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »

It's hard to believe that Rome premiered in the US on 28 August, 2005.  On the one hand, it feels like yesterday and on the other, like it was a lifetime ago.  I'm still in mourning over its cancellation and still really ticked off at HBO.   :pet: :(  :worry-rose:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:33:15 PM by bonny » Logged
bonny

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:55:54 AM »

HBO is binging Rome, beginning in 5 minutes.  :cheer2:
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »

This pic is from November 2015, I believe. Good to see Vorenus & Pullo together again. It appears Ray has got Kevin's nose.  ;D

( in case pic doesn't show here's the long link: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/ray-stevenson-and-kevin-mckidd-attend-the-afterparty-for-national-picture-id496527340 )

TP icon
"I like to kill my enemy, take their gold, and enjoy their women."
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »

Their happy reunion was short-lived, however, as they reverted to soldierly type and tried to kill each with their bare hands.

Apparently.  ;)

TP icon
bonny

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:09:28 PM »

Their happy reunion was short-lived, however, as they reverted to soldierly type and tried to kill each with their bare hands.

Apparently.  ;)

That's the cutest man-bro pic I've ever seen!  Thirteeeen!  What was the event?  In a way, this pic makes me sad, because seeing them together like this is the closest to a Rome movie we're going to get.   :-\
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:03:19 AM by bonny » Logged
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

Barmy Bawdy Besotted Brittunculi Bint

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 04:19:37 PM »

Great pics and yes, it's so sad indeed that a Pullo and Vorenus reunion is a 21st Century one.

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

And all because the lady loves... Ray

LabOfJulii icon
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »

That's the cutest man-bro pic I've ever seen!  Thirteeeen!  What was the event?  In a way, this pic makes me sad, because seeing them together like this is the closest to a Rome movie we're going to get.   :-\

THIRTEEEEEEN!  :pullo2:

Caption says: 'Ray Stevenson and Kevin McKidd attend the afterparty for National Geographic Channel's 'Saints & Strangers' World Premiere Event at Saban Theatre on November 9, 2015 in Beverly Hills, California.
November 09, 2015| Credit: Todd Williamson'

Alas, no chance of a Rome movie after 10 years (corblimey!!) but it's still lovely to see what the cast is up to. That reminds me, I've not annoyed Kevin's fans in far too long.  :devilish: 

Lotis - I recall people having trouble signing up here quite some time ago and am wondering if that was ever fixed? The last person who ever registered was Marysal in April 2014!  :o

TP icon
TitusPullo
Rayspectable Fan

"Hello ladies!"

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »

A wee article popped up on my radar about how Rome was originally envisioned to have begun/ended had it run its full 4-5 season course:

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/rome/252090/ray-stevenson-reveals-original-rome-ending

Ray Stevenson reveals what the original Rome ending and final scenes for Titus Pullo would have been if the HBO series had continued.

Before there was Spartacus or The Tudors, Vikings or The Borgias—before Game of Thrones—there was Rome. As the first salvo of a legion of period epics and historic fictions on premium cable, Rome was one of the most ambitious gambles ever ventured by HBO with a first season cost that was upwards of $100 million due to pricy sets (the biggest in the world), principal photography in Italy, and the usage of old fashioned 35mm cameras.

The series boldly attempted to tell a sort of an “Upstairs, Downstairs” drama between Rome’s patrician class and its plebian underbelly, making it something of a semi-prequel to I, Claudius as we witnessed the rise and fall of Gaius Julius Caesar (Ciaran Hinds), and then the many years of warfare between the various parties in the wake of his death—including a young Octavian (first Max Pirkis, then Simon Woods)—as well as Rome’s transition from republic to empire.

It was a grand effort… perhaps too much so. Indeed, the popular cult series only ran for two seasons. While there was some second-guessing and regret after the ratings for Rome season 2 increased, the die was already cast and that season concluded the story with Octavian becoming Augustus, the first Emperor of Rome, and his quiet plebian right-hand, Titus Pullo (Ray Stevenson), taking on the responsibilities of raising a son since his best mate Lucius Vorenus (Kevin McKidd) is presumably in the grave.

Yet, this was not the original ending in mind. Rome creator Bruno Heller has previously hinted he envisioned the series going for four or fives seasons, following Vorneus and Pullo to Galilee and beyond. And when we talked to actor Ray Stevenson late last year, he revealed the final grim direction the series would have headed in.

Stevenson, who is about to play another legendary figure as Blackbeard in this week’s Black Sails season 3 premiere, sat down with us to chat about the pirate drama. But as the conversation turned to Rome, and I brought up the potential Galilee continuation of Pullo’s journey, Stevenson revealed what had once been intended to be the very first scene of Rome—as well as the series’ “ultimate end.” The point that Heller and Stevenson always saw the series building toward.

“Bruno [Heller] once did outline a story that he was going to start the whole series with,” Stevenson said. “An 88-year-old Pullo going down to the riverside by Vorenus’ tomb, or sarcophagus, pouring wine on it, taking a sword out while sitting there on the banks, looking at the glistening river, and committing suicide.

“And as he has his face hit the sand on the banks, a fish jumped out of the water, and the silver light on the fish caught the sword, which brought us right into that first battle with Lucius Vorenus and [Titus Pullo] where he breaks ranks.”

As according to Stevenson, the final scenes of the series would have eventually explained this fate as the relationship between Octavian, who is only a child when Rome starts, and Pullo becomes clear.

Says Stevenson, “The reason was that the only person on the planet who [knows] the Emperor Augustus to be human, who was Octavian, is Pullo. And Pullo’s the only one who has that memory of him or that life. And basically, [Augustus] asks him to. Nobody else could kill him. But at that stage, Octavian is obviously in his paranoid imperial sort of thing, and Pullo is the last tie to that time when he was a boy. It’s genius.”

Even though this sequence was obviously cut from what became the eventual Rome pilot, this was apparently the ending that Heller always had in mind, and where the series would have eventually built to if it had been allowed to move on past Antony and Cleopatra, and into the actual era of Pax Romana—not to mention the New Testament.

“But they didn’t want to shoot it because they didn’t want to give the ultimate, ultimate, ultimate end away,” Stevenson said. “But it was a genius way of going. I mean Bruno’s mind is just—well Bruno Heller, he’s brilliant.”

It is a shame that we never were able to cross the narrative Rubicon that far into the original vision for the series. Still, with every other show seeming to come back these days, hope might spring eternal for those who’ve pledged allegiance to the 13th Legion.

---------------------

THIRTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN ! :pullo2:

TP icon
bonny

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 07:46:55 PM »

Thanks, Titus. I posted that interview to the Rome Movie group I created on Facebook about 6 years ago when there were rumors about the movie and, still, hope.  There are still about 1500 members of that group, ever hopeful, even though we realize that it's not going to happen.  😰😰😰
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 03:13:55 PM »

This pic is from November 2015, I believe. Good to see Vorenus & Pullo together again. It appears Ray has got Kevin's nose.  ;D

( in case pic doesn't show here's the long link: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/ray-stevenson-and-kevin-mckidd-attend-the-afterparty-for-national-picture-id496527340 )

Aww! Love to see my boys from the 13th together again!  :crush:

I watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of interviews, trying to catch up. I watched a video of wee Kevvy being interviewed by Craig Ferguson on his old talk show, too. Fun. Had a hard time catching all that was said by those 2 Scots, though. Remembered how MOB liked Craig Ferguson and saw his show in person once.  :worry-rose:

Hope everyone is doing well.  :-*
:bead:

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
WIDTAP

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:44:33 PM »

I watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of interviews, trying to catch up. I watched a video of wee Kevvy being interviewed by Craig Ferguson on his old talk show, too. Fun. Had a hard time catching all that was said by those 2 Scots, though. Remembered how MOB liked Craig Ferguson and saw his show in person once.  :worry-rose:

Always had wished to have seen Ray on the Ferguson show before Craig left. Ferguson was always a great chatter, even with guests who weren't always comfortable with talk shows, and Ferguson was a fan of Rome as well.

Good to see Ray and KMK in a couple of photos together, even if like a couple of brothers, they are ready to beat the snot out of each other.  :devil: :vorenus2: :pullo3:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:48:54 PM by WIDTAP » Logged
wingit4me
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »

Always had wished to have seen Ray on the Ferguson show before Craig left. Ferguson was always a great chatter, even with guests who weren't always comfortable with talk shows, and Ferguson was a fan of Rome as well.

Good to see Ray and KMK in a couple of photos together, even if like a couple of brothers, they are ready to beat the snot out of each other.  :devil: :vorenus2: :pullo3:

It is not too late, he has a talk show in the History channel now where they discuss history.

:wingit:
Camamar
Rayligious Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »

It is not too late, he has a talk show in the History channel now where they discuss history.

Craig Ferguson is supposed to be a guest on Late Show With Stephen Colbert (one of my I Would Do  :-* Him guys) on Monday February 15 2016.

I could try to find Craig on the History Channel. Thanks! Craig also has a game show on TV now called Celebrity Name Game ... It may be syndicated.... ? I've caught it a bit now and then.

Typing one-handed. I'm on hold on the phone and am this close to hanging up. Maybe the U.S. Postal Service Customer Service Saturday hours will run out and hang up on me. A small-ish package got delivered Priority Mail to my house today in error, and I left it out by my mailbox thinking: Let the delivery person see his/her mistake and deliver it to the right place after the Monday holiday.

Then I felt bad thinking what if it is a Valentine's Day present and the USPS is telling the person who ordered it that the package has been delivered? The weather is too brutal -- for the next couple of days yet -- for me to be arsed to walk it over to the correct address. The arctic wind probably made the mail carrier's eyes blurry with tears.

In the meantime, I'm hoping that the delivery person doesn't get in trouble and take it out on me... and my mail. I know the USPS has my address now, because the automated service confirmed my home phone number and address with me while I was on the phone.  :P  I tried just contacting USPS online and explaining to them, but when I input the tracking number it assumed I was the one who ordered, and led me around in circles when I couldn't give them info on when I got a notice that my package was not received. I figured I wouldn't waste effort that might be initiated if the USPS thought I was the one who sent the package.  :curse: :mailman:

I Googled the address and name of the person on the package and when I tried calling the phone number that came up, I was told that number was disconnected. When I Googled the name and address on the return label, I saw no phone number come up; then it occurred to me that the package might contain something that would get me killed for my trouble, and I gave up that line of effort.

=> Update: I'm typing two-handed now because I hung up the phone. A call was incoming and Mr. C  is in bed, feeling very ill. The phone call was Mr. C's Mom checking in on his status. I'm not trying to call USPS again. Mr. Fairly-close-by-neighbor will have to wait until Mr. C or I will bother going out to ANONYMOUSLY drop off the package, even if it's after Valentine's Day (tomorrow).  :curse: romance.

A day without Ray is like a day without sunshine.....Worse, actually. A day without sunshine would save me having to put on sunscreen.
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »

Craig Ferguson is supposed to be a guest on Late Show With Stephen Colbert (one of my I Would Do  :-* Him guys) on Monday February 15 2016.

I could try to find Craig on the History Channel. Thanks! Craig also has a game show on TV now called Celebrity Name Game ... It may be syndicated.... ? I've caught it a bit now and then.

Typing one-handed. I'm on hold on the phone and am this close to hanging up. Maybe the U.S. Postal Service Customer Service Saturday hours will run out and hang up on me. A small-ish package got delivered Priority Mail to my house today in error, and I left it out by my mailbox thinking: Let the delivery person see his/her mistake and deliver it to the right place after the Monday holiday.

Then I felt bad thinking what if it is a Valentine's Day present and the USPS is telling the person who ordered it that the package has been delivered? The weather is too brutal -- for the next couple of days yet -- for me to be arsed to walk it over to the correct address. The arctic wind probably made the mail carrier's eyes blurry with tears.

In the meantime, I'm hoping that the delivery person doesn't get in trouble and take it out on me... and my mail. I know the USPS has my address now, because the automated service confirmed my home phone number and address with me while I was on the phone.  :P  I tried just contacting USPS online and explaining to them, but when I input the tracking number it assumed I was the one who ordered, and led me around in circles when I couldn't give them info on when I got a notice that my package was not received. I figured I wouldn't waste effort that might be initiated if the USPS thought I was the one who sent the package.  :curse: :mailman:

I Googled the address and name of the person on the package and when I tried calling the phone number that came up, I was told that number was disconnected. When I Googled the name and address on the return label, I saw no phone number come up; then it occurred to me that the package might contain something that would get me killed for my trouble, and I gave up that line of effort.

=> Update: I'm typing two-handed now because I hung up the phone. A call was incoming and Mr. C  is in bed, feeling very ill. The phone call was Mr. C's Mom checking in on his status. I'm not trying to call USPS again. Mr. Fairly-close-by-neighbor will have to wait until Mr. C or I will bother going out to ANONYMOUSLY drop off the package, even if it's after Valentine's Day (tomorrow).  :curse: romance.

No-one tells a story like you Camamar!   :snog:

I still recall one SCBG chat where you mentioned utilising er, um, er.. well lets just say on those occasions when you didn't have time to put it fully in the garage... you parked it outside   :lol:

I still get chest pains from laughing at that. Hope you are well my dear   :2drink:

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Labiaofthejulii
Rayspectable Fan

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »

Rome is back on in the UK  :cheer2:

I saw the first episode last week and relived meeting Pullo and Vorenus for the first time. Bloody magic.

Aut Viam
Inveniam
Aut Faciam

LabOfJulii icon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: